Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Civil Engineering

• 27-12-2009 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭

Hey guys!!
    Just wondering what ye could tell me about the Civil Eng course in GMIT Galway?? Been as Im out of NUIG!!:( Has anyone done it? How do they find it?

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

why you out of nuig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭thenashlegend

points man!!:mad::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

I too am wondering about GMIT's Civil Engineering course, anyone got any information ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

good course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Good course, very highly recognised as a better Civil Eng course compared to other Level 7's done in IT's.
    Level 8 2 year add on now also available after the 3yr Level 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Wingawongawoo

Far better balance of practical versus theoretical work than you would get at a uni. Graduates from IoTs in general are far more suited to hitting the ground running in the real world when it comes to their first job. Gmit is no exception, and the practical stuff is well covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 seanhowley

my friend is thinking of doing civil eng in gmit but he dont like maths is there much maths involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Wingawongawoo

Pretty hard to do civil eng in any college without having to do a reasonably high level of maths. From what I know of it in GMIT, it starts off at kinda like ordinary level at leaving cert and works up from there. You wouldn't have to have done honours at LC to cope, but eventually it would go beyond that level, working up nice and slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

seanhowley wrote: »
    my friend is thinking of doing civil eng in gmit but he dont like maths is there much maths involved?

There is lots of Maths in the course. It starts off easy but does progress to quite a high level. Students with ordinary level Maths will do fine IF they are willing to put in the work but if you hate it and aren't willing to work at it then it is not the course for you.

Engineering is largely maths. Why someone would choose to do it when they hate maths is beyond me, it's like hating chrmistry and choosing to do pharmacy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement