Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to eat in Dun Laoghaire town?

Options
  • 27-12-2009 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

I've been going to college in Dun Laoghaire for 2 yrs + me + my friends find it impossible to find somewhere nice + reasonably priced for lunch.

Below is a list of places we've gone/go:
    Bagel Factory
    Graham O'Sullivan
    Centra deli
    Tesco's deli
    Cafe at the top of DLSC
    Bloomfield's Cafe
    Insomnia
    Weirs
    Scott's
    Burger King
    McDonalds
    Subway
    BBs
    Costa
    Gourmet Burger

I know there's Mao's, Milanos + Itsa but they're too expensive.

Is there anywhere I havn't mentioned thats worth a shot?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

weirs does some of the best food in south dublin.

Bagel factory is nice.

Dun Laoghaire is kinda lost in the way of nice food spots :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I have the same problem and was just about to start a similar thread.

I've only been there a week and a half and I've only been to BB's as I go for lunch on my own as everyone else in the spot goes home for dinner.

Somewhere nice that I can sit n my own and get some hot food like a chicken curry would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Maos, beside Itsa. Lunch for a tenner, get a nasi goring. They're fantastic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Weirs carvery is excellent. Huge portions, under a teener if u get a half porition which is practically the same only a little less meat!

Bits and Pizzas - up patrick st - YUM YUM
    Think it's €8 for a small pizza and coleslaw and lunch time

Milano down by the dart, expensive lunch but they always have half price vouchers www.milanooffers.ie

Poppies down near walters - towards the park - really good cosy food.

The Kozie pub used to do great food, not sure if it still does. (curry every friday back in the day!)

There's a new cafe down the very end of the town, can't think of the name at the moment, like the silver goose or something (I may have made that up!). A bit further down that that is the Good food company or something? supposed to be nice too! But they're way down.

Also Harry's cafe next to Elvery's is nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Can't believe I didn't think of Poppies before now - some lovely comforty food there (The brown scones alone are the business!)

That new cafe is called The Giddy Goose I think - it looks very fancy altogether. Round that end is also the Sunshine cafe (or something shiny and happy-sounding like that!) they do Fixx coffee which is the business :)

has anyone ried The World cafe? Looks kinda interesting from the outside but never ventured inside! Reminds me a bit of N-Joy which does lovely coffee / breads / pastries.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

That Graham O'Sullivan must be an ego maniac. What an awful name for a café chain.. :eek:

One thing Dun Laoghaire doesn't lack is places to eat... Dunno about the quality though - haven't tried most of them.

Pubs, on the other hand...

I know the Kozie serves food on Sundays, so I assume it's the same during the week.

Oh that world cafe does the nicest breakfast, hicks sausies and all! It's a real hippy feel place. I'd say their lunches are just as yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Toscanas beside Teddies have a lovely lunch menu, reasonably priced too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 One Of Shanks

Julez wrote: »
    Weirs carvery is excellent. Huge portions, under a teener if u get a half porition which is practically the same only a little less meat!

Yeah the food in Weirs is lovely. It's a nice pub all-round too

• Advertisement

Whats the cafe place like up the stairs in the shopping centre?

also where is Weirs and where is Toscana?

draffodx wrote: »
    Whats the cafe place like up the stairs in the shopping centre?

so so, it's a bit greasy tbh
    also where is Weirs and where is Toscana

Weirs is down towards bloomfields, past the church on the right hand side - almost next door to M&S.

Toscana is the other way, it's on the sea road heading from the park towards sandycove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Has Real Gourmet Burger closed perma or is it just for renovations?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Graham Sulllivans.. aw bless i remmber when the mammy used to bring me there :-)

I like The Giddy Goose its down the far end(the monkstown) end right at the traffic lights before the music shop. Had a few scones and coffee in there when it was pissing rain and I had jsut bought new guitar.

ummm upstairs in the bookshop??

Scotts do a mean toastie!! great for before or after the cinema! Cant beat a toastie and a pint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 muppethead

I was in the Giddy Goose for the second time this week and i must say the food is amazing. stopped off on my lunch and had a sandwich which was served on fresh bread. everything about the place was good. very homely cossy feeling. as I live only down the road in monkstown it is ideally located. coffee was good aswell.

muppethead wrote: »
    I was in the Giddy Goose for the second time this week and i must say the food is amazing. stopped off on my lunch and had a sandwich which was served on fresh bread. everything about the place was good. very homely cossy feeling. as I live only down the road in monkstown it is ideally located. coffee was good aswell.

whats the menu like?

Is it all sandwich type cafe stuff or can you get a dinner there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

thegen wrote: »
    Has Real Gourmet Burger closed perma or is it just for renovations?

Just for a few weeks, I think.
    The note on the door makes some mention about a change in the franchise holder. Caught us out on Sunday, so ended up in Milanos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Clementine

Alexis on Patrick Street is nice- reasonably priced and good food. It's a bit fancier than a BB's or O'Briens, but it's the same price (or cheaper) than a carvery meal from a pub.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Burger king is currently closed and has been gutted, does anyone know if it just renovations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Clementine

I think it is just rennovations- all Burger Kings are undergoing rennovations at some stage this year to compete with the McDonald's McCafe styling. Classy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Good stuff, I see that according to today's IT, the will have free Wifi shortly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

Dyflin wrote: »
    Burger king is currently closed and has been gutted, does anyone know if it just renovations?
    yep renovations,they are taking over the shop next door as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

+1 for alexis smashing place steaks are sublime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

I had a nice meal in the bar area of the Royal marine hotel. (€10+)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 muppethead

draffodx wrote: »
    whats the menu like?

Is it all sandwich type cafe stuff or can you get a dinner there?

It has a bit of everything... breakfast, sandwiches, panini's but also hot food- lasagne, quiche.. .that kind of stuff. I had a sandwich one time and a more substantial meal the next time I went in- they do a great fish pie!!!

Good atmosphere... and not too pricey.

Another place to add to the list, beside the Crepe place in the shopping centre, soon there will be 'The Sweetest thing' Patisserie. Looking forward to trying it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭swapple

Round that end is also the Sunshine cafe (or something shiny and happy-sounding like that!) they do Fixx coffee which is the business :)

It's a lovely little place, and the chargrilled chicken on ciabatta bread, mmmmmm :D ooh and nice organic drinks too eg. elderflower (i know, i know, 'organic', but it is actually delicious!) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Update on Real Gourmet Burger, due back open tomorrow. If anyone is passing it will they confirm this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 seasidesam

The Sunshine Cafe is great for lunch. The food is delicious and there's a nice atmosphere. Easily my favourite place for lunch in Dun Laoghaire.

• Advertisement

thegen wrote: »
    Update on Real Gourmet Burger, due back open tomorrow. If anyone is passing it will they confirm this?

Whats it's usual opening times?

Doesn't be open and me going into work at 8:55 and doesn't be open and me leaving just after 6.

I was just about to post is there anywhere in the town to get a decent burger at lunch time??

Advertisement