Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to eat in Dun Laoghaire town?

Options
2»

Comments

draffodx wrote: »
    Whats it's usual opening times?

Doesn't be open and me going into work at 8:55 and doesn't be open and me leaving just after 6.

I was just about to post is there anywhere in the town to get a decent burger at lunch time??

It used to be about 12 til 10 I think.
    Actually don't know where you would get a decent burger apart from there?
    The Harbour Grill perhaps?
    Maybe the Kozie Pub.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

It used to be about 12 til 10 I think.
    Actually don't know where you would get a decent burger apart from there?
    The Harbour Grill perhaps?
    Maybe the Kozie Pub.....

Thanks!

Just noticed that place beside the crepe place is open, still looks like a building site inside though!? has anyone tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭glanman

If you have access to car you have to go to Thyme Out Deli in Dalkey. It does savage wraps which are huge for €5/€6. Their lime chicken is unreal, well worth a trip out there. You will not regret it. They don't have seats but drive down to forty foot and eat in the car or something...

Link to website

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭swapple

Alexis is really nice btw, early bird menu (5-7pm) means 2 yummy courses for €16 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

As has been mentioned a couple of times, Alexis on Patrick St is by far and away the nicest place to eat in Dun Laoghaire where you don't have to pay an arm and a leg. Always had a lovely meal there.

The World Cafe on Georges St is very nice for a brunch on the weekend also.

If you want to splash out, Cavistons in Glasthule and Rasam in Sandycove are both very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

We sometimes go into the Purty Kitchen for lunch. I usually just get a bowl of chowder with brown bread for a fiver and that's really filling. Actually, Weir's chowder is also pretty damn fine as well.

Mmmm.... chowder.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

+1 Alexis for great food, the Eagle in Glastule is great for carvery very resonable less than €7, The Gourmet Food Parlour on cumberland street is also very good, it does great breakfast and tapas and is open some evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

benwavner wrote: »
    Toscanas beside Teddies have a lovely lunch menu, reasonably priced too.

Toscana is a great place and the food is superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭wicklow newbie

Is the world cafe closed for good or has it moved to somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

It has been closed for a few months now and the premises are still empty...

• Advertisement

Actually, I'm sure I've seen the World Cafe somewhere else recently and I can't for the life of me remember where but I remember thinking, oh wow, that's the same as the one facing M&S.

I'll see if the OH can remember and let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

it moved to monkstown farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

seasidesam wrote: »
    The Sunshine Cafe is great for lunch. The food is delicious and there's a nice atmosphere. Easily my favourite place for lunch in Dun Laoghaire.

Have to say I've eaten here a few times, everything from a Fry up to Chicken Kievs was A1, service is friendly too.

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ilovefood

muppethead wrote: »
    I was in the Giddy Goose for the second time this week and i must say the food is amazing. stopped off on my lunch and had a sandwich which was served on fresh bread. everything about the place was good. very homely cossy feeling. as I live only down the road in monkstown it is ideally located. coffee was good aswell.
    I have recently moved to Dun Laoghaire, I love eating out especially at weekends and after a hectic weeks work, I have tried some of the cafes in the area such as the giddy goose, sunshine cafe, prominade cafe and gourmet food parlour, aside from having some cafes which evidently buy in alot of their foods I was pleasently suprised by gourmet food parlour - their atmosphere is warm and inviting and exceptionally cosy, my scrambled eggs were amazing served with delicious toast, I was informed that they had tapas nights so having lived in Spain and being a big fan of tapas I dragged my boyfriend to this quaint little cafe on a Friday night with little or no expectation. I applaude this business, the jazz trio playing were really talented and i felt I was in Europe and not south side Dublin, food was great in particular tortilla and bravas, all so authentic and delicious - antipasti was excellent also, really affordable wines....and the staff were so friendly you could see they really cared about the customers and their experience....very rare to find
    I also visited the sunshine cafe which is a nice little spot, I had some good desserts, coffee is good too - unfortaunetly after being to the giddy goose twice I cannot speak as highly of it, maybe my experiences are merely bad timing and I need to give them another try?
    The winner for us however after living in Dun Laoghaire a mere 6 weeks is Gourmet Food Parlour,

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Could not find a thread so bumping this. Had the Chicken wings in cafe Mao on Thursday. 5 wings covered in a sickly sweet sauce served on a bed of limp lettuce. Almost €9. Disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

The Pig & Heifer on the northern edge of Dun Laoghaire is incredible. I had the Mile High Club and it was divine. Excellent value for money at roughly €7 and I would highly recommend it.:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Could not find a thread so bumping this. Had the Chicken wings in cafe Mao on Thursday. 5 wings covered in a sickly sweet sauce served on a bed of limp lettuce. Almost €9. Disgusting.

Went into Mao's recently for lunch on a Saturday. The place was empty, the food very average and the bill incredibly steep, all things considered.

It was a real let down and there's much better to be had elsewhere in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Went into Mao's recently for lunch on a Saturday. The place was empty, the food very average and the bill incredibly steep, all things considered.

It was a real let down and there's much better to be had elsewhere in the town.

They do a lunch special up to 4 p.m. Mon-Fri for 8.95, the beef with black bean and the Thai green chicken curry are both always good. Agree the main menu is expensive but on the lunch special you can get one of those mains plus a Pepsi and coffee for €14 which is good value. Same deal is available in Stillorgan SC where the decor is dire but the service slightly better than in DL.

Although there is a cash register, the staff do their own cash and they never have enough of a float so getting change can be a pain. Use plastic if possible to avoid a frustrating wait while the person who served you tries to get change from a fellow staff member. You'll think it's so that you'll just tell them to keep the change but it isn't, it's just general incompetence in the way the place is run.

Edit: The lunch special is now €9.95

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭maurice1

The Pig & Heifer on the northern edge of Dun Laoghaire is incredible. I had the Mile High Club and it was divine. Excellent value for money at roughly €7 and I would highly recommend it.:D

Went with my wife on Friday night, had 5 tapas,
    came out stuffed
    €50 including decent tip.

great value and lovely food
    Will go back

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Had lunch with the wife and baby in the Forty Foot. I was reticent about eating in a Wetherspoons but looking at the menu I thought it might be okay. Prices were very reasonable and I actually liked the paying first thing.

Ordered a sharer and a gourmet burger. Absolutely vile. Everything apart from the chips seemed frozen to me. Wings were very dry and the spicy coating was fairly bland.

The burger was overcooked, very dry with a nasty white sauce. Very tasteless, left it after two bites. Lesson learnt, never again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Ush1 wrote: »
    Had lunch with the wife and baby in the Forty Foot. I was reticent about eating in a Wetherspoons but looking at the menu I thought it might be okay. Prices were very reasonable and I actually liked the paying first thing.

Ordered a sharer and a gourmet burger. Absolutely vile. Everything apart from the chips seemed frozen to me. Wings were very dry and the spicy coating was fairly bland.

The burger was overcooked, very dry with a nasty white sauce. Very tasteless, left it after two bites. Lesson learnt, never again.

Quality reflects the price to be fair. Can't be expecting much when you're paying similar prices to fast food joints.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

crushproof wrote: »
    Quality reflects the price to be fair. Can't be expecting much when you're paying similar prices to fast food joints.

The quality was worse than the price is the problem. I've also been in some pubs that are priced similarly or even cheaper with actual good quality food. For example, the Kiltipper Bar in Tallaght is not the nicest pub but the food and prices are very, very good.

I'm not even picky but honestly I'd have preferred a McDonalds meal or buying a burger from Lidl and cooking it myself, would certainly be better than what I was served.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Blue Ginger has deceptively nice food. Outside makes it look like a cheap Harry Ramsden style eatery but the inside is nice and the menu is great with a big variety of dishes and prices seem fair. Both times I've gone, the food has been really good. Only problem, staff were somewhat rude to be honest. It felt like the customers were bothering them by being there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Went recently for the first time. Staff were grand with me, but the food was a bit average. The selection was pretty limited and nothing jumped out as particularly interesting. http://www.thesunshinecafe.net/ is probably my favourite eatery in DL.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

I've been to the new Fish Shack Cafe on Newtownsmith a couple of times since it opened. Nice and fresh both times, if slightly expensive. Fish and chips is €13, lovely chilli flaked batter mind. The lobster mac and cheese (€18) is the same size as the kids mac and cheese (€6) :pac:

I think they do takeaway as well, no idea on the prices there.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Went recently for the first time. Staff were grand with me, but the food was a bit average. The selection was pretty limited and nothing jumped out as particularly interesting. http://www.thesunshinecafe.net/ is probably my favourite eatery in DL.

My sister loves that place too!

Advertisement