Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dual Mass Flywheel DMF, 2006 2.2 D-4D Toyota, is rattling.

Options
  • 27-12-2009 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

My Dual Mass Flywheel is starting to get a bit "vocal" in the 1,300-1,800 rpm band.
    I intend to replace it with a Solid Mass Flywheel conversion kit
    if possible.

It's on my 2006 reg, 2.2litre D4D Corolla Verso Diesel,
    engine code is 2AD-FTV, with 150K Kilometres showing.

I'm afraid it will fly apart and kill the gearbox too when it fails.
    I don't want to weld it solid and I don't want to fit the obviously
    fragile OE replacement dual mass flywheel either. Once bitten twice shy.

I found many ebay links for the SMF Solid Mass Flywheel conversion kits
    for the older 2.0 D-4D engines but I couldn't locate any for my specific
    engine code (The 2AD-FTV), the 136 BHP diesel engine fitted to a few
    Toyota's including the newer Rav4's I believe ?

So my question: Is there a Solid Mass Flywheel replacement kit for this engine ?

Thank you for taking the time to read the post.

4cylsachs.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭v300

Does anyone know if the 2.0 D4D Replacement Solid flywheel SMF kit will fit the 2.2 D4D engine ?

Any Toyota mechanics or Engineers on here at all
    or someone who would know a bit about this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The gearboxes on the 2.2 and 2.0 engines are different.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The gearboxes on the 2.2 and 2.0 engines are different.

This is not looking good for me. Thanks for the info Colm.

Not sure how useful this is, but your 2.2 engine is used in the Avensis too.

• Advertisement

Not sure how useful this is, but your 2.2 engine is used in the Avensis too.

Goodie goodie !!!

Why ?

As the Taxi drivers hate the DMF thingy and demand the solid flywheel,
    so if there is enough of them looking for them, then I can order one too.
    2.2 Avensis sounds like a good Taxi car to me.

I specifically got this D4D diesel because of the
    DMF and many more problems on French and german yokes,
    but it seems all DMF are the same, as in they have a finite lifespan.

I miss the old infinite lifespan solid flywheel.

Where can I go to find out about if there is a conversion for my engine ?

Very few 2.2 Avensises in this country. the 2000 onwards Avensis and Rav4 2.0 D-4D are the main victims of DMF failure.

Also have you approached Toyota with your problem. I know it's out of warranty but worth a shot

Also have you approached Toyota with your problem. I know it's out of warranty but worth a shot

Colm, how do I approach them with a car having done
    150k Kilometres and no recorded service history to speak of ?
    I bought her on-condition 6 months ago and was very happy with her
    and still am.

The DMF failure I saw as inevitable, but I didn't know that the
    2.0 D4d DMF was different to my 2.2 D4D DMF.

I spent about one week researching her,
    and got caught out with the first major repair item....

The flywheels may be compatible, but the gearboxes are deffo different.

you won't get anywhere on warranty with those stats.

you won't get anywhere on warranty with those stats.
    Thought as much...

Have you access to microcat or the Toyota EPC to compare
    part numbers Colm ?

• Advertisement

I don't, but try:

www.toyotaownersclub.com, there are a good few on there that have microcat

www.partsgateway.co.uk would be worth a look too.

Anyone from a Toyota dealership or a motor factors able to give me a hand with this query ?

Top of thread please.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63671014&postcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Where are you going to get the work done?

Do a search on this topic, I posted about getting the job done much cheaper in Belfast than anywhere down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...worst case scenario, if you're not going to keep the car long (say, more than 60k miles), you'll get that out of another DMF anyway........by which time ......it'll be somone else's problem..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...worst case scenario, if you're not going to keep the car long (say, more than 60k miles), you'll get that out of another DMF anyway........by which time ......it'll be somone else's problem..........

I intend to keep it, hence the interest in a SMF conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I'd agree with this. I did a bit research on SMFs when i was getting my DMF replaced and the feedback i got was the an SMF was a bad idea, i'd need to search again to find out exactly why.

I replaced my DMF with another DMF, my logic being it would do another 60-80k by which time the car would be dead from other causes anyway....

quarryman wrote: »
    . I did a bit research on SMFs when i was getting my DMF replaced and the feedback i got was the an SMF was a bad idea

The newer SMF conversion kits have 80% of the absorption
    capabilities of a DMF in an more reliable package.

Update; Found a flywheel kit !

I got off my fingers and did a 2 hr 'net search again, and found a glitch in the matrix. I found a Luk DMF Dual Mass Flywheel replacement kit (Not an SMF) that was not publicly available last year, but was publicly released sometime this month, January 2010, and I am a very happy camper now !!

Luk Part number is 415 0284 10. I'm whistling with joy here !
    I had been quoted about 1k plus the dreaded Vat for a factors replacement kit, but was holding off because basically I couldn't afford it. A retailer in Belgium is talking about 650'ish plus vat and postage, but let's see what transpires in the meantime.

I still don't know the price of the Toyota kit....

WhooHoo. Me so happy, me love me long time.

Link to catalogue item:http://toc.luk-as.de/toc/en/83EFB1263A08D59D7D2EE6A9C216E2C024.srv?view=VIndexFramesetJsp&RedirectResolution=false

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Since LUK don't have any stock and have no delivery date, I would order in ASAP if you want it done soon. LUK can sometimes have very long lead times of DMF.

1 of the reasons why a SMF is not ideal to replace a DMF is that the DMF removes alot of the vibration casued by a Diesel engine. Also would you try fit a Micra door to a Primera? Might be cheaper but htat is not the way the car was designed.

Since LUK don't have any stock and have no delivery date, I would order in ASAP if you want it done soon. LUK can sometimes have very long lead times of DMF.

Who is a reasonably priced stockist of Luk Flywheels items in Limerick or Dublin do you know ?

• Advertisement

v300 wrote: »
    Who is a reasonably priced stockist of Luk Flywheels items in Limerick or Dublin do you know ?

The 2 main importers of LUK are AD Ireland, who have 18 branches around Ireland and Serfac in Dublin. I won't make any comments about pricing as it could seen to be biased as I work for one of these companies....

Meant to mention in other post, the 1 danger of buying car parts off the internet is if they are wrong no motor factor or importer will want to know about takening the wrong part back, but will sell you the correct part.

I found out that the flywheel needs a clutch kit too. Luk Part Number 622114560, retailing at RRP €133.50. Got a RRP for the flywheel too €860.00, but have just ordered both on-line from an irish auto parts company, delivery included for €710 inc Vat !

Let's see does it fit now !

Bad news.

The clutch as supplied does not fit, and the compiler of the technical match up between the flywheel and clutch didn't know. The supplier was upset himself as he had carefully checked these numbers on his master system and is offering a no quibble-refund. Parts to be re-collected tomorrow. I will be keeping the flywheel, and will only replace the clutch on inspection, if it's necessary.

Up shot of this is that the only clutch that can be got for this is from Toyota. No motors factors clutch exists anywhere yet, to the best of my knowledge. If you know of one, let me know gents.

A copy of e-mail sent to distributor by my supplier.

Dear Jason,

I am writing to bring an error in TecDoc to your attention.

The clutch and flywheel listed against a 2006 Tyota Corolla Verso 2.2 D4d
    do not match (622114560 and 415028410).

As per TecDoc, we have had these items dispatched to a customer and we
    have incurred considerable courier and handling fees to send and return
    these.

Best regards,

Colin Donoghue.

Not suprised the clutch didn't fit, looked it up in LUK catalogue, for a 90-92 1.6 Carina E. They is no listing in LUK for your car. Although TecDoc list it, LUK may asign a part number but never produce the part. Happens alot.

TBH, I reckon you will need to get from Toyota for the lot. It can happen that you can only ise a DMF with a Clutch form the same manufacture, this happens with LUK and Sachs on the VAG.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

LUK may asign a part number but never produce the part. Happens alot.

....don't doubt it for a second, but for the life of me, why would you have a part number for something you DON'T make ?? Mad, Ted.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

....don't doubt it for a second, but for the life of me, why would you have a part number for something you DON'T make ?? Mad, Ted.

The do it incase there is s high number of these cars sold, have all the designes etc ready should they need to run production

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I've heard that changing from a dual mass flywheel to a solid one increases the amount of wear on the gearbox. Is this a common problem in Toyotas because it's quite common in Transits. If it's a one-off problem I'd be tempted to put a dual mass back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Did you manage to get the bits you needed? Apart from the clutch, was the flywheel correct? I need one for a Santa Fe, and have the same trouble getting one as you, but did find one on europarts, which has the almost exact part number as yours:

Yours==415 0284 10

Mine===415 0285 10

Different make and model to yours, but close part numbers. I know this may not mean much, but just interested if yours was the correct one for your car.

btw, €600 delivered compared to €1100 here from main dealer only

Did you manage to get the bits you needed? Apart from the clutch, was the flywheel correct? I need one for a Santa Fe, and have the same trouble getting one as you, but did find one on europarts, which has the almost exact part number as yours:

Yours==415 0284 10

Mine===415 0285 10

Different make and model to yours, but close part numbers. I know this may not mean much, but just interested if yours was the correct one for your car.

btw, €600 delivered compared to €1100 here from main dealer only

There could be a minor difference in the 2 DMF that would stopp it letting the car run, and the DMF is not a Main dealer only part, A motor factor should be able to ge the LUK one rtailing around 870 plus vat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Yep, a motor factor can it seems, but they're about the same price as main dealer. The €1100 I quoted was inc vat from the main dealer, and the motor factor €870+VAT is €1052. Not much in the difference, unfortunatly.
    :(

Advertisement