Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is someone selling Limerick mobile numbers

Options
  • 27-12-2009 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Am getting mightily sick of unsolicited messages from bloody Russels, have also received them from the Hi Way. I have never set foot in either.

There was mention of Trinity Rooms a few weeks ago.

Having called russels at least three times to request my number be removed from their spam list am continuing to receive their stupid messages.

The messages, like the ones from the Highway, do not contain opt out details and are therefore in beach of the data protection act.

It would seem that because mole numbers belonging to people living in Limerick are up for sale. but who is selling them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Got messages from all of the above too, really f'ing annoying.

I am an O2 customer btw

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

didn't get the trinity rooms one myself, but received one from the Hi Way just before Christmas.

Received on from Russels a couple of weeks ago. rang them up and was told they would take me off their list. got another one from Russels tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

3 years I have had my company phone and I still get messages from a manicure place in Drogheda.

I have spoken to them and e-mailed them but they don't stop coming!

I get a new phone number in a few days so because its brand new I should be able to see if I get unsolicited messages.

I also hate the Crescent shopping centre's bluetooth system which constantly harrasses me to connect to them. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Was there not some issue earlier in the year with certain employment agencies giving out details from received CVs to certain companies for mailing lists and the like?

Trying to remember what paper ran the story.

Berty wrote: »
    3 years I have had my company phone and I still get messages from a manicure place in Drogheda.

I have spoken to them and e-mailed them but they don't stop coming!

I get a new phone number in a few days so because its brand new I should be able to see if I get unsolicited messages.

I also hate the Crescent shopping centre's bluetooth system which constantly harrasses me to connect to them. :mad:

That really bugs me as well. It is a pain in the bum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Kess73 wrote: »
    Was there not some issue earlier in the year with certain employment agencies giving out details from received CVs to certain companies for mailing lists and the like?

Trying to remember what paper ran the story.

That sounds pretty worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Kess73 wrote: »
    That really bugs me as well. It is a pain in the bum.
    There's a simple solution to that; disable your bluetooth!

Have never had an issue with bluetooth in the Crescent. from what I understand of the Data Protection Act, they don't have a right to contact you unless you agreed for them to do so. someone sending you bluetooth messages without your permission would warrant a breach of that act.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Have never had an issue with bluetooth in the Crescent. from what I understand of the Data Protection Act, they don't have a right to contact you unless you agreed for them to do so. someone sending you bluetooth messages without your permission would warrant a breach of that act.

Its actually trying to get the system to connect with you. Their system detects the presence of your bluetooth and tries to connect with you so that when you visit it can send you any offers a store is having.

Ninety9er though. I shouldn't have to because as soon as I reach my car I have to switch it back on to use the bluetooth in my car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

The George Hotel on Shannon do the same thing with the bluetooth in there lobby. I hear the beep on my phone, hoping it is that hot blonde across from me wanting to hook up, and it is just some fecking menu for dinner. Boooo. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bugle

ive been geting these texts also. i just assumed it was cus i used to date a girl that worked in russells. i knew she got around...... :p i can see her now, just emptying out her phonebook into their system. damn her!

Yeah it is a simple solution, but it still is not right that Crescent Shopping centre management can try to force messages onto people. It means that people who use bluetooth headsets or have their bluetooth turned on for their cars are inconvienienced.

Plus it is a waste of time saying it to anyone there as most of them are stuck up their own bums in terms of attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MackPaddy

From the data protection site "There are currently no specific legal requirements in relation to the actual transmission of such messages"

Read more:http://www.dataprotection.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=903

In any case the Crescent bluetooth system does not take any personal data,but simply sends an animated gif of special offers.(I like the free BBs muffin offer myself :D)

If you really dont want to switch off bluetooth,then leave it in pair mode (as mentioned in the data protection site)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

set bluetooth visibility to hidden. any device paired to your phone will connect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Im getting texts from russells and the hi way too.

I honestly didnt know was russells a club or a pub or what, i thought i might have giving my number to them when i was drunk or something :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

I'm getting these to and i cant seem to reply thit the STOP Message

the stop message won't work on the Russell's spam.

Russells one I got last night appears to have originated in South Korea

+2783889150496

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

The missus is getting ones from a Dublin racetrack now even though she hasnt been to it.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

This may help, it's a quote from the dataprotection.ie website
    Electronic Mail

Electronic mail (i.e. a text message, voice message, sound message, image message, multimedia message or email message) for the purpose of direct marketing cannot be sent to you without your prior consent unless it is from someone with whom you have a current customer relationship. The Data Protection Commissioner considers that, in order to comply with the provision of the Data Protection Acts concerning the retention of data for no longer than is necessary, and in line with best practice, a ‘current customer relationship’ exists only where a business and a customer have engaged in a business transaction within the previous twelve months. The rules for direct marketing using electronic mail are simple:

Marketers may send you electronic mail for direct marketing purposes where:
    (i)
    • You have given them explicit consent to do so within the last twelve months, or
    (ii)
    • they have obtained your personal contact details in the course of a sale to you of a product or service within the last twelve months, they informed you of their identity, the purpose in collecting your contact details, the persons or categories of persons to whom your personal data may be disclosed and any other information which is necessary so that processing may be fair, and
    • the direct marketing they are sending is in respect of their similar* products and services only, and
    • you were given a simple cost-free means of refusing the use of your contact details for direct marketing purposes at the time your details were initially collected, and where you did not initially refuse the use of those details, you are given a similar option at the time of each subsequent communication. (If you fail to unsubscribe using the cost-free means provided to you by the direct marketer, you will be deemed to have remained opted-in to the receipt of such electronic mail for a twelve month period from the date of issue to you of the most recent marketing electronic mail).

Marketers may not send you any electronic mail for direct marketing purposes in the following circumstances:
    • if you have not given your prior consent to receiving such mail within the last twelve months in accordance with the options set out above,
    • if the identity of the sender has been disguised or concealed or a valid address to which you can send an opt-out request has not been provided, and additionally, where the electronic mail is an email communication, a valid address at which the sender may be contacted has not been provided.
    • if you have joined a club to which you pay a subscription for text, multimedia or email message services, unless the direct marketing is directly related to a similar* product or service to the subscription club of which you are a member,
    If you are receiving electronic marketing messages contrary to these rules, you may complain to the Data Protection Commissioner.

http://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?CatID=18&fn=/documents/guidance/unwanted_marketing_consumer_guide.htm&m=r

in that case the Crescent requests are illegal.

• Advertisement

in that case the Crescent requests are illegal.
    No, because you have the option to reject it.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Yeah, the crescent is only offering the service. Oddly, I haven't received any. Even turned on my bluetooth the other day while in there to see what all the fuss was about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Keep the message on-topic please.

No, because you have the option to reject it.

But they shouldn't even be trying to contact your phone if you didn't invite them to.

But they shouldn't even be trying to contact your phone if you didn't invite them to.
    You are on their premises and there are notices at the entrances informing you that this service operates inside. I'm sure they passed it by (probably very expensive) lawyers.

You are on their premises and there are notices at the entrances informing you that this service operates inside. I'm sure they passed it by (probably very expensive) lawyers.

If there are signs, I have never seen them. also there was mention above that this signal is receivable in the car park. where are the signs, at the entrance of the car park or the entrance to the centre itself.

The only thing I have ever seen is across from BB's above the emergency exit. There is a bluetooth box thing that looks like a Wireless router with the whole "enable your bluetooth for special offers" crap but all it does everytime Im typing a message is interrupt me meaning I have to refuse the connection and then go back and start the message again.

I have, after somebody said it here, disabled the "disoverable" part of my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

I also get those text from Russels and the Hi Way the only reason I could think of is one night I was in smyths and some girls were going around looking for our email address and been as drunk as I was I give it, and dont smyths and russels have same owner or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Berty wrote: »

Turn off bluetooth so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

campo wrote: »
    I also get those text from Russels and the Hi Way the only reason I could think of is one night I was in smyths and some girls were going around looking for our email address and been as drunk as I was I give it, and dont smyths and russels have same owner or something

Russells and high-way are owned by the same person.. he was in the news a while back did time for kidnapping.

Advertisement