Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a physics degree really that pointless?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Bodicea

It depends on where you want to go with it. I was in this dilemma 15 years ago. I really wanted to study physics but from the few I spoke to I got the impression that a physics degree is impressive on the CV, and yeh, Professor Fink is right, about it being easier to teach a physics graduate, but not enough as a standalone if you want to get into the forefront of research. Not only do you need the physics, but a plethora of other stuff too, just to keep up with the competition. Progamming, maths, electronics..you name, a lot of them have it and the competition for jobs is brutal.

As a result I opted for electronics and telecommunications and had job offers before I even got through 2nd year (studied in the UK). You wouldnt believe the perks I was being offered. I think being female helped ;). A few years ago I returned home to west of Ireland and my degree is worthless, as is my experience. I'd have to move to Dublin if I wanted a job relevant to my background, but I left UK to get out of living in a constant traffic jam.

At the end of the day, do what you really want to do, what you enjoy and what interests you enough to make you want to get out of bed every day for the next 40 years.....the rest will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

and a good chance for learning maths and programming
    al

And those skills are welcome in many growing segments of business, like Business Analytics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

ardmacha wrote: »
    al

And those skills are welcome in many growing segments of business, like Business Analytics.

I'm kinda interested in the financial sector as a possible career direction, I hear I can do a masters in Quantitative Finance with a physics degree in UCD, although I need to get a 2.1.

Advertisement