Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst county in Ireland ??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

Parsley wrote: »
    Kilkenny is a town. Kilkenny is not a city. STFU and GTFO.

Sorry to break it to ye but tis a city. Best City in the country boy. UP THE CATS!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

Sorry to break it to ye but tis a city. Best City in the country boy. UP THE CATS!:)

How is the 13th biggest town in ireland a city?:rolleyes:

<Ollie> wrote: »
    Some towns have literally no scumbags though. The boom years has seen a huge influx of 'scum' into smaller towns and villages i.e. someone selling their house in a less desirable area of the city and moving to the 'country'. They would be living at a more 'acceptable' address and would have probably made a profit from the sale also.

Some towns always had a bigger proportion of scum than other towns anyway e.g. Youghal which is a beautiful seaside town littered with scum.

Youghal is a lovely place.Cobh is a proper ****hole though.

grenache wrote: »
    I have to disagree with you there. Limerick has, proportionally speaking, way more scumbags inhabiting it. The city is far more compact than Cork and thus you have lowlifes living not only close to the city centre, but actually in the city centre. Walk down O'Connell St any given day, the place is teeming with them, William St is their favoured location though, i avoid that area if at all possible. Thats not to say Limerick doesn't have its nice areas, it does. I love Dooradoyle, Castletroy and down by the Abbey River.

Yes William Street is rough is that because of the bus stops?Then again Merchants Quay in Cork is a rough street too.

You should know the answer if youve been off researching :P:D

Black and amber rock, Black and amber roll, GO CATS GO :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

The same way that the smallest city is a city. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

Worst for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

places are designated city status, nothing to do with size or population

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

It is a city whether your personal problems want it to be or not. If you want to be technical and start quoting the Local Government Act (2001) : (In which case it is described as a City) or you are sensible or have seen the charter, it is a City. Whatever, Not Bovered!

*yells abbreviations*
    kilkenny is a city in NAME ONLY. When you hear AA roadwatch talk about traffic in the 'cities'....how often do you hear Kilkenny mentioned? In reality it is a town. And dont quote me that cathedral ****e. The church could build a cathedral in my local village, would that make it a city too?! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭WanderingSoul

Roscommon . . . just no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

kilkenny is a city in NAME ONLY. When you hear AA roadwatch talk about traffic in the 'cities'....how often do you hear Kilkenny mentioned? In reality it is a town. And dont quote me that cathedral ****e. The church could build a cathedral in my local village, would that make it a city too?! :D:D
    Vatican is considered a country and how often do you see them in the world cup or entering euro vision????

Kilkenny is a city despite what AA roadwatch reports have you thinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Kilkenny is as much a city as The Jonas Brothers is a rock band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I think if you look it up you will find that historically references to Kilkenny City are very recent and formed part of the stand up routine of Brendan Burke at the Kilkenny Just for Laughs Comedy Festival.

Im surprised people still fall for that gag.

Well done LordButtersnip for reviving that one and Johhny and Rosie for keeping it up:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Dord wrote: »
    Roscommon. It's so bad they made it up... I think to scare children?

nothing grows in Roscommon but yourself...

honestly.... its the Belgium of ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

County Scumbag

It exists in my vision of the future.

kilkenny is a city in NAME ONLY.

Well I understand what you are saying but you are wrong the only main differance between Kilkenny and the other cities (other than population which isnt a factor in city status anyway) is the form of governing body, we have a borough council(because of Kilkennys small size) and because of this it was nessesary for the gov to distinguish between normal citys and kilkenny and so legally it was nessesary to talk in terms of Kilkenny as a town and the other citys as citys. It is still a city but it takes its legislation from the same place as towns do.
    When you hear AA roadwatch talk about traffic in the 'cities'....how often do you hear Kilkenny mentioned?

AA are not the government so could no more decide if Kilkenny is a city or not than they could decide on expenditure on schools for the year. Also a smaller place gives you the benifit of less problems like Traffic. That is plainly a daft arguement.
    In reality it is a town.

Nope
    And dont quote me that cathedral ****e. The church could build a cathedral in my local village, would that make it a city too?! :D:D

No a cathedral does not make a city, A City makes cathedrals (We have two). The church could build whatever they like they again are not the government. But in Old Lieghlin, Co. Carlow, a small village, they have there own Cathedral (St Lazarians) but they are not a city. There are differances all over the place it is what makes life interesting. And there is no point trying to make everything conform to the same ideas because there will always be things that dont fit.

CDfm wrote: »
    I think if you look it up you will find that historically references to Kilkenny City are very recent and formed part of the stand up routine of Brendan Burke at the Kilkenny Just for Laughs Comedy Festival.

Im surprised people still fall for that gag.

You being born in the 1650s would feel that 400 years is recent.:D
    CDfm wrote: »
    Well done LordButtersnip for reviving that one

Buttersnip? ButterSNIP?? BUTTERSNIP?!?!?! :eek::mad:

DEAR GOD I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE INSULTED IN MY LIFE!

CDam I challenge you to a duel.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Well I understand what you are saying but you are wrong the only main differance between Kilkenny and the other cities (other than population which isnt a factor in city status anyway) is the form of governing body, we have a borough council(because of Kilkennys small size) and because of this it was nessesary for the gov to distinguish between normal citys and kilkenny and so legally it was nessesary to talk in terms of Kilkenny as a town and the other citys as citys. It is still a city but it takes its legislation from the same place as towns do.

AA are not the government so could no more decide if Kilkenny is a city or not than they could decide on expenditure on schools for the year. Also a smaller place gives you the benifit of less problems like Traffic. That is plainly a daft arguement.

Nope

No a cathedral does not make a city, A City makes cathedrals (We have two). The church could build whatever they like they again are not the government. But in Old Lieghlin, Co. Carlow, a small village, they have there own Cathedral (St Lazarians) but they are not a city. There are differances all over the place it is what makes life interesting. And there is no point trying to make everything conform to the same ideas because there will always be things that dont fit.
    With all due respect Buttersnip, you can quote technicalities all day. In every day life, Kilkenny is not a city, simply because it is not big enough to be one - and dont tell me size/population has nothing to do with it, size/population differentiates towns from cities. Athlone, Sligo, Tralee, Dundalk - all bigger than Kilkenny. None are cities. Neither is Kilkenny.

With all due respect Buttersnip, you can quote technicalities all day. In every day life, Kilkenny is not a city, simply because it is not big enough to be one - and dont tell me size/population has nothing to do with it, size/population differentiates towns from cities. Athlone, Sligo, Tralee, Dundalk - all bigger than Kilkenny. None are cities. Neither is Kilkenny.

Your actually funny how wrong you are!!! Lord Butterslip is dead right, its also halarious how much it annoys you :D Its a city GET OVER IT! It shant be changing anytime soon, ever infact. KILKENNY CITY...............You got that?? is a city?

With all due respect Buttersnip, you can quote technicalities all day.

My dear Greenaxe, technicalities (such legal documents) make the world go round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Dublin pisses me off, I live here, but its a bit of a mess, Dublin is just traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭belge boy

Yeah how is a small city like dublin so congested

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

again population and size do not a city make, when are people going to realise this :D st david in wales population 2000 is a city, chester population 80k is a city while luton pop 150k is a town
    Pdfile wrote:

what we make great beer??

we are the governmental centre of ireland?? well we did give ireland its first president and the last decent taoiseach so i suppose ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

Bugnug wrote: »
    "Ya" ............. obviously from cork!

"Yeah" for those in the east of the country. "yeah, yeah"

Ya

1.pro.
    you. (Eye-dialect. Typical spoken English. Used in writing only for effect. Used in the examples of this dictionary.) : See ya!
    Go wan ya langer!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

An easy way to remember the shíte counties is to avoid any county begining with L

Ah Ireland, its basically one big ****hole but Dublin is it's only saving grace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Pdfile wrote: »

Belgium = chocolate and beer, not all that bad

Also, I'm from Roscommon....there are worse places ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

belge boy wrote: »
    Ah Ireland, its basically one big ****hole but Dublin is it's only saving grace.

What would you know about it, you think Dublin is in the UK

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=252854&page=79

Both my parents are from there. I visit every summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

belge boy wrote: »
    Both my parents are from there. I visit every summer.

And you never copped on that you were in Ireland?:rolleyes:

Advertisement