Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst county in Ireland ??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

belge boy wrote: »
    Yes Ireland in the UK. It's just easier to put you in with the British, same way you in the British Isles package everybody on the mainland as Europeans.

Mainland Europeans are very different.

French: Stubborn, a little bit ignorant, always striking and rioting.

Spanish: Happy people. The life of the party and dirty as well. Can do you head in after a while.

German: Very strange. Usually the odd ones in your workplace. Completely out there on their own.

Belgians: A load of pedophiles and child killers if i'm to believe what a see in the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭A quiet one

Yes Ireland in the UK. It's just easier to put you in with the British, same way you in the British Isles package everybody on the mainland as Europeans.

Some 4 to 5 years ago I encountered a Belgium town hall official who had to be shown where Ireland is on the map and then, despite the fact that Ireland was chairing the presidency of the EC at the time, she refused to accept that Ireland is in the EC.

As for culturally dependant Ireland, you mention the Brits, but overlooked the Vikings; they can be very sensitive to that you know. And you've not really acknowledged the Celts who once resided over what is now Belgium.
    http://www.geographia.com/belgium/bxhis01.htm
    And if you didn't have a significant culturally identifying connection with Ireland you wouldn't be here posting.

Of course no accusation of Irish cultural reliance can be complete without a mention
    of Belgian cultural attachment not only those Celtic Belgae, but the subsequent Romans, Germanic tribes, Spanish (still a significant effect and even for the Dutch whose Nat. Anthem still has a line paying allegiance to Spain,) , French, Dutch and even an osmotic influence from the Congo.

Overall, much of the landscape of inland stretches of eastern Ireland is as monotonous as most of the Belgium landscape, except for either the Flemish Ardennen , or the Wallonian one, both of which transport one back to the Ireland of at least 40 years ago, if not more. (or some bits of Limerick in more recent times)

Leuven is gorgeous though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Some 4 to 5 years ago I encountered a Belgium town hall official who had to be shown where Ireland is on the map and then, despite the fact that Ireland was chairing the presidency of the EC at the time, she refused to accept that Ireland is in the EC.

Belgium being the seat of the EU is an International disaster. The Belgians are hopelessly superstitous and are Obsessive compulsive disorder as a national affliction -some of the nuttier ideas from the EU are from the Belgians
    Of course no accusation of Irish cultural reliance can be complete without a mention
    of Belgian cultural attachment not only those Celtic Belgae, but the subsequent Romans, Germanic tribes, Spanish (still a significant effect and even for the Dutch whose Nat. Anthem still has a line paying allegiance to Spain,) , French, Dutch and even an osmotic influence from the Congo

There is no real political reason for Belgium and it would be a kindness if the Dutch , Germans and French were given their bits back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Anyone who thinks Cork is "rough" has led a sheltered life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

(Spoiler, so the easily offended don't have to read it)
    Belgium,
    famous for chocolate and child molestors and they only invented the chocolate to get to the children.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭belge boy

thats just not funny

ireland:
    a place where people live in tatched houses, while ignoring sexual abuse by their beloved catholic church

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

thats just not funny

ireland:
    a place where people live in tatched houses, while ignoring sexual abuse by their beloved catholic church

Thats just not accurate.

I like the way you choose to tell us we are ignoring the abuse in the catholic church, despite countless scandals being widely publicised here over the past number of years. You will also, undoubtedly, be aware of the countless scandals relating to same that have occurred in the eastern United States.

Also, I assume, relating to your statement regarding your numerous visits to this country, that you have noticed the desperate lack of thatched houses, moreover in Dublin. Probably not too many of them in the Boston-New York-Philadelphia area either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

thats just not funny

ireland:

Here's a conundrum for you, if you have such a problem with Ireland and the Irish, why post on boards.ie?

thats just not funny

oh dear touchy

the dutch gave is tulips -what did the belgians give - the brussels sprout. A great addition to culinary life. here have a few of these and they will get your bowels moving and provide enough methane to heat your house if you could only harness it.

A real culinary delight that is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

thats just not funny

ireland:

FYP

But my favourite is this one: Pourquoi les belges mettent des bottes en caoutchouc pour faire du vélo ?
    Parce que le sida s’attrape avec les pédales.
    :D

I'd rather live in Cavan than Belgium

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭loglogbarkbark

Fermanagh people are financially sneaky, sexually repressed,snotty evil bastards

Fermanagh people are financially sneaky, sexually repressed,snotty evil bastards

WTF? I'm almost honoured that we get a mention but still................explain.

I'd rather live in Cavan than Belgium

Cavan people tell Belgian man jokes.

What did the Belgian bureaucrat give his children for Christmas

A copy of the World Trade Agreement and told them as neither Santa or the elves attended that there would be no cross border presents from outside the EU(the north pole) this Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Carlow: A grey wastleland

What is the point of that County?? CARLOW!!!

CDfm wrote: »
    Cavan people tell Belgian man jokes.

What did the Belgian bureaucrat give his children for Christmas

A copy of the World Trade Agreement and told them as neither Santa or the elves attended that there would be no cross border presents from outside the EU(the north pole) this Christmas

If I was the child and given my bureaucratic and pedantic upbringing, I'd contest that Santa does not in fact reside at the North Pole but rather in Lapland which as we all know is in Finland. And since Finland is in the EU, he should make with the presents. :D

monkey9 wrote: »

It along with Longford and Offaly are the ones that I sometimes forget in the 'Name the counties of Ireland' game.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    WTF? I'm almost honoured that we get a mention but still................explain.
    Used to live with a disgusting excuse for a human being a free loader who came from a middle class home who would preach about the sponges that live in council estates and yet never paid a bill while she lived there oh too much to say i have never disliked someone as much as her and i am a happy person

Used to live with a disgusting excuse for a human being a free loader who came from a middle class home who would preach about the sponges that live in council estates and yet never paid a bill while she lived there oh too much to say i have never disliked someone as much as her and i am a happy person

I'll give you the 'sexually repressed' bit. A night out in Enniskillen and you find dozens of Declan Moffetts.

She would make you so uncomfortable if sex was mentioned every thing is wrong except her preferences

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

Longford..Because it's not an Irish county anymore.

She would make you so uncomfortable if sex was mentioned every thing is wrong except her preferences

Ah, I've b******s like that outside of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

thats just not funny

ireland:

Banned for non-stop trolling.

monkey9 wrote: »

for killkenny parents to scare their children with.

"right if you dont do your homework and tidy your room -we're moving to Carlow"

flag123 wrote: »
    Longford..Because it's not an Irish county anymore.

And it had an English Lord that wanted to release serial killers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

AND Kilkenny is a City NOT a town, Thank You All Very Much.

I am also sad :(

We have elected all of our Witches to the Borough Council so they pose no threat anymore.

Now Retreat to The Kilkenny City Forum!! Before the backlash!!

Kilkenny is a bloody hamlet.

The worst county in Ireland - and I say this only because I had to drive through it and there was literally nothing to see there - is Offaly.

Very dreary, dismal landscape.
    Miles upon miles of bogland.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

And it had an English Lord that wanted to release serial killers.
    Well i'm talking about modern day here.

hinault wrote: »
    The worst county in Ireland - and I say this only because I had to drive through it and there was literally nothing to see there - is Offaly.

Very dreary, dismal landscape.
    Miles upon miles of bogland.

I have heard it's Offaly dreary. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

westmeath,why not just make the whole thing meath?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭A quiet one

Belgium being the seat of the EU is an International disaster. The Belgians are hopelessly superstitous and are Obsessive compulsive disorder as a national affliction -some of the nuttier ideas from the EU are from the Belgians

Belgium is a very catholic country; Speak to a Belgian well acquainted with the peoples of both Ireland and Belgium and it'll be pointed out that we are in effect the same people.
    As for the muddled bit about obsessive compulsive.. would you like another go to express whatever the hell that was supposed to mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

for killkenny parents to scare their children with.

"right if you dont do your homework and tidy your room -we're moving to Carlow"

Never mind moving to Carlow try saying we'll send you to school in Carlow that'll work.;)

• Advertisement

I work in Carlow (job moved there last month), it's, hmmm, I suppose it's just Carlow really. Pain in the Gary commuting, if I wanted to commute I'd have gotten a job in Dublin, ah well, 'tis good to even have a job really.

Advertisement