Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst county in Ireland ??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

Westmeath, it's just the epitome of the midlands as a whole, it's bleak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

Dudess wrote: »
    Read my post again. :)
    apoligies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Kilkenny, undoubtedly. They saved up the entire gene pool for sly looking f*ckers and somehow spilled it into that county a a few hundred years ago. The heads on them, theyre so schnaaaaakey looking. And they're actually proud of how schnakey they are as well

Shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

There's an awful lot of Kilkenny bashing going on in this thread :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

zootroid wrote: »
    There's an awful lot of Kilkenny bashing going on in this thread :(

I suppose people used to be afraid of dissing Kilkenny because of the witchcraft connections.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Oh this always ends of the same - Corkonians bashing Dublin and vice versa. The thing is, IMO Cork and Dublin are generally OK except for a scummy element in both cities. Galway is my fave regional city - Limerick my least favourite.

The better counties are the coastal ones with the best scenery, the coasts/beaches,cliffs, mountains and half decent sized towns and cities. The inland counties are generally depressing and nondescript - with Laois, Longford and Offaly being the worst of these.

Meath and Kildare are real sister counties - very similar landscapes, land uses (stud farms and stately demenses) and next door commuter counties for Dublin. Both have historical sites and rivers/canals that make up for their largely inland position.

If I has to pick an absolute worst county - it would be a toss up between Longford and Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭diamondtooth

Worst counties for me are between:

Mayo, Roscommon, Sligo, Leitrim, Cork and Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

The ugly counties are in the mid-lands...such as Offaly (what's there?), Laois, a good chunk of Tipp( bar the Galtees/Golden Vale), Westmeath, Longford, Carlow, and Roscommon.

If it wasn't for this whole motorway-building spree that's going on at the moment, they'd probably have made a lake out of the midlands because they would have had absolutely no purpose then. At least now their flatness can be put to good use. Albeit just one good use, but it's better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Most counties in Ireland are fairly sh1t, except for Cork (beautiful scenery and a nice city but some awful rural parts too), Kerry (scenery), Clare (scenery), Galway (scenery, nice city), Mayo (scenery), Sligo (scenery), Waterford (scenery), Wicklow (scenery), Dublin (great city/coastline), Kilkenny (well the town, which is very pretty, moreso than the rest of the county), Limerick - as Kilkenny (in relation to Adare, not Limerick city, which is only meh). No other county has anything going for it really.

The above is just an opinion.

Dunno about Cork being a nice city. It's not very visually enticing.
    Though I really like UCC, it's a very nice place.

I dislike Limerick. It's just not a nice place. Boring and dull.
    Cyarlow is one of those defunct counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Leitrim.

I once had trouble convincing a friend it was a county and that Athlone wasn't.

• Advertisement

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Oh this always ends of the same - Corkonians bashing Dublin and vice versa. The thing is, IMO Cork and Dublin are generally OK except for a scummy element in both cities. Galway is my fave regional city - Limerick my least favourite.

The inland counties are generally depressing and nondescript - with Laois, Longford and Offaly being the worst of these.

Laois has gotten a fair bit of a drubbing. I dont know why -its the home of the prison industry in Ireland and is very proud of it and its a national monument. Unlike Limerick, where they look at their prison as one of the suburbs and dont value it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Most counties in Ireland are fairly sh1t, except for Cork (beautiful scenery and a nice city but some awful rural parts too), Kerry (scenery), Clare (scenery), Galway (scenery, nice city), Mayo (scenery), Sligo (scenery), Waterford (scenery), Wicklow (scenery), Dublin (great city/coastline), Kilkenny (well the town, which is very pretty, moreso than the rest of the county), Limerick - as Kilkenny (in relation to Adare, not Limerick city, which is only meh). No other county has anything going for it really.

The above is just an opinion.

its interesting you name counties for scenery but leave out probably the nicest of the 26 counties in that area; donegal, Inishowen Peninsula is the jewel in irelands crown imo, nicer and more awe inspiring than anything kerry or cork have

every county has something going for it, true the midlands doesn't have the coastlines or mountains but lough ree is lovely, the drive between boyle in roscommon passing lough key and lough arrow in southern sligo is fantastic in the summer, i could sit by the lake all day and enjoy total peace and quiet

leitrim is a very underrated county, from Glencar Waterfall (yes its in leitrim not sligo) to carrick on shannon (which unlike alot of irish towns has used its riverside base as a tourist attraction)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

maybe Leitrim but I can't really say I have seen much of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Offal-y. A county named after a meat waste by product, with a 'y' tacked on to disguise the fact. Didn't fool me for a minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

I can't hack Tipp.
    Never met a bad person from Tipp but it's just a **** county.
    Tipp town is depressing.
    My hometown (Tralee) isn't much better though!
    Abbeyfeale is another kip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

I think that Mayo, Galway, Clare, Limerick, Kerry and Cork are the only counties that makes sense. Everything east of them just looks ridiculous, and all the made-uppy counties are there, you know, the ones you never think of when you're asked to name all the counties in Ireland, even if you live in a particular made-uppy county like Carlow or Cavan - did they really need to break Meath up into two places no-one wants to visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Shivers26 wrote: »

My vote is for Monaghan because the biggest pr1ck I have ever met in my life was from there so unfortunately the whole county must suffer my wrath.

I do apologise if that was me :o

there is no need for you to worry about generalising the population, we are all like that pr1ck you met, in fact he was probably one of the nice guys, that's why we let him out to attract more tourists!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

In these threads I always get the feeling that most of the people giving Leitrim such a hard time have never actually been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

In these threads I always get the feeling that most of the people giving Leitrim such a hard time have never actually been there.

I've been there, it's like atlantis, most people can never find it and don't believe it could possibly exist!

It is a nice county though!

• Advertisement

cloneslad wrote: »
    I've been there, it's like atlantis, most people can never find it and don't believe it could possibly exist!

Is it like Tir na nOg - Darby O Gill and the Little People

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Generally I would say Leitrim. It has the lowest life expectancy for males at 72.8 years and the 3rd highest suicide rate (Offaly has the highest).

However I haven't been there so I would have to say Donegal.
    Absolute tip of a place, a wasteland of apocalyptic proportions.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

I'm from Dublin, I like all the counties, Galway is my favourite though. Holiday'd in Ireland every summer until the age of 12 so I've visited them all, I will say that Tipperary hasn't got great memories for me cos I was attacked by a dog there on a campsite. But he was a Dutch dog, so I don't hate Tipperary people :pac:

Coincidently, I was just watching the extras on my new Dustin dvd (so good!), and they put his joke on it

Dustin-Where are ye from?
    Person-County *Blah*
    Dustin-Sorry?
    Person- *repeats*
    Dustin- No I heard ye the furst toime, wehwehweh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Galway. Overrated nightlife, touristy faux culture, costs an arm and a leg to get to and it never stops raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

Shivers26 wrote: »
    I was just going to post this exact same comment. Well, except for the South Dublin bit.

My vote is for Monaghan because the biggest pr1ck I have ever met in my life was from there so unfortunately the whole county must suffer my wrath.
    Monaghan aint that bad , he probably had only emigrated here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Roscommon, a nuclear blast would cause 22 euro damage to the banjo playing cess pit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

shane86 wrote: »
    Galway. Overrated nightlife, touristy faux culture, costs an arm and a leg to get to and it never stops raining.

Oh here we go again. Was waiting for you to pop up on this one.

People had a good time in Galway and relayed such to their friends and suddenly Galway nightlife is overated? Admittedly, our clubs are absolute muck, but we have the best pubs in Ireland without a doubt.

And yes it does stop raining.

And what do you mean "touristy faux culture"? I'm really beginning to suspect that your Galwegian first cousin refused you when you dropped the hand and you've been bitter ever since.

No matter what your experiences of Galway, you can't say that it's the worst county in Ireland.

Does a place being overated = worst place?

Not where I went to school.

kraggy wrote: »

People had a good time in Galway and relayed such to their friends and suddenly Galway nightlife is overated? Admittedly, our clubs are absolute muck, but we have the best pubs in Ireland without a doubt.

And yes it does stop raining.

And what do you mean "touristy faux culture"? I'm really beginning to suspect that your Galwegian first cousin refused you when you dropped the hand and you've been bitter ever since.
    strip away the pubs and what have you got -touristy faux culture -admitedly not as bad as kerry but the gaeltacht with its genuine plastic paddies more than make up for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

CDfm wrote: »
    strip away the pubs and what have you got -touristy faux culture -admitedly not as bad as kerry but the gaeltacht with its genuine plastic paddies more than make up for that.

Examples of this touristy faux culture please. What parts of the Conamara Gaeltacht?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

rossie1977 wrote: »
    its interesting you name counties for scenery but leave out probably the nicest of the 26 counties in that area; donegal, Inishowen Peninsula is the jewel in irelands crown imo, nicer and more awe inspiring than anything kerry or cork have
    Ah I can't believe I left out Donegal - even after spending a few days there, and it was absolutely heaven. Post edited accordingly. :)

Advertisement