Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst county in Ireland ??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Magnus wrote: »

, county Dublin could be great for all I know, haven't really been)

There is no county Dublin- unless you include Tallaght -afaik the county is kildare and meath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

People from Cork never see the sun most of them have their heads so far up their own ho*e.

Sounds like someone with an inferiority complex (which is understandable, I suppose).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Whats with all the Leitrim hatred? Quite a nice county. Carrick on Shannon is a lovely town, the river cruisers tied opposite make it quite scenic during our "summer". Prior to the flood, the Carrick Cineplex was by far the nicest, cleanest and friendliest cinema Ive been to. Hope it can get back in action soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

Papad wrote: »
    Sounds like someone with an inferiority complex (which is understandable, I suppose).

me h0le.

bohsboy wrote: »
    Whats with all the Leitrim hatred? Quite a nice county. Carrick on Shannon is a lovely town, the river cruisers tied opposite make it quite scenic during our "summer". Prior to the flood, the Carrick Cineplex was by far the nicest, cleanest and friendliest cinema Ive been to. Hope it can get back in action soon.

Id have to agree, Leitrim is a lovely part of the country. Took a spin up during the summer, some great uncovered scenery up there, Id go back again:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Dublin - it's full of people who think everyone else is a culchie.
    While Waterford is pretty to loook at, it's full of strange strange people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

genericguy wrote: »
    donegal - everyone up there has a massive chip on their shoulder about the rest of the country, purely because the rest of the country is more developed. they express concern about you if you're 'not a praying man', and should you mention that you aren't an avid drinker of alcohol then nobody will be anyway nice to you, only suspicious.

I will defend my beautiful Donegal's honour! What have we not developed into?- egotistical, self absorbed, over inflated Celtic Tiger Cubs that growl if Daddy doesn't open his thick wallet to feed them! Thank God, the mysterious Tiger didn't come anywhere near Donegal or we would have ended up like the rest of the country! Also, I'm from Donegal and don't drink. Explain that one? Genericguy= unfounded, sweeping generalisations!

Id have to agree, Leitrim is a lovely part of the country. Took a spin up during the summer, some great uncovered scenery up there, Id go back again:)

Its really nice - I had a weekend at the landmark hotel once.

While it wont win architecture prizes -for food service etc its excellent and wont be beat by anywhere in Dublin or any tourist zone like Galway or Killarney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Jay P wrote: »
    Dunno about Cork being a nice city. It's not very visually enticing.
    I genuinely think (and it's not some sort of civic pride thing - I don't roll that way) Cork looks beautiful - and is looking particularly well in recent years, having had a bit of a facelift.
    And I have to agree, as a Corkonian, there is something in the Cork psyche that's a bit "look at me!" - e.g. the floods. There were floods which were as bad in Galway... yet the Corkies shouted the loudest. :D
    I don't know how the geographical location affects the collective traits of a populus, but it does seem to in the case of Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

People from Cork never see the sun most of them have their heads so far up their own ho*e.

Showing your true colours there Johnny. Green eyed monster is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Dublin is awful.

With Cork it you do have a lot of quirky parts and really historic bits hidden in plain view.

Its the real deal with no doubt about its history. That includes ancient churches and artisans cottages. You also have architecture and ironmongery etc that are in the fabric of the place.

Seriously, the "you're just jealous" retorts from Cork people only serve to reinforce the stereotype.

cadaliac wrote: »
    Showing your true colours there Johnny. Green eyed monster is it?

Not a chance! Im kilkenny born and bred so no need for me to be jealous of any other county. I love Kilkenny, no other county comes close for me.

Not a chance! Im kilkenny born and bred so no need for me to be jealous of any other county. I love Kilkenny, no other county comes close for me.

Nice castle and race track but what else does it have. Kilkenny Design the home of expensive tea towels. Its also flat.

CDfm wrote: »
    Nice castle and race track but what else does it have. Kilkenny Design the home of expensive tea towels. Its also flat.

Has everything every other county has, plenty nice spots off the beaten track. Lot more to a county than the main city in it. Everybodys goina have countys they dislike based on people they know that they dislike and will associate the dislike of the person with the place. Im not a travel agent, dont have to sell me county, if ya like it ya like it if ya dont ya dont, no sweat off my sack.

I wouldn't dislike a county based on people I know from there - in fairness, that's silly. Just as bad would be liking a county based on people I know from there.

Dudess wrote: »
    I wouldn't dislike a county based on people I know from there - in fairness, that's silly. Just as bad would be liking a county based on people I know from there.

Well I do I associate people with the place to be honest. not the only deciding factor but it is a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Libertewhite

Longford...such a boring place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Longford...such a boring place!

Longford, the county where a paint drying olympics would liven up the place..

Awfully boring place alright, doesn't make it the worst though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

Dublin The ugliest capital city in europe and the people have a serious attitude problem.

Waterford Irelands forgotten city and rightly so.

Limerick A place to stop by for a minute on the way between cork and galway.

Galway the county is nice but if your expecting a city then Galway will dissapoint.A little square and main street does not make a city.The place is also too touristy but it's still a nice little place.Just take it for what it is and don't expect an irish version of Barcelona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

All of them outside of Dublin.

Dublin The ugliest capital city in europe and the people have a serious attitude problem.

Galway the county is nice but if your expecting a city then Galway will dissapoint.A little square and main street does not make a city.The place is also too touristy but it's still a nice little place.Just take it for what it is and don't expect an irish version of Barcelona.

So basically every major city apart from Cork is sh*t....

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    So basically every major city apart from Cork is sh*t. rolleyes.gif

Cork may not be all it's cracked up to be but boy even if it's not it's still the best of what we got.

Cork may not be all it's cracked up to be but boy even if it's not it's still the best of what we got.

Well maybe they will make it an independent republic and you won't have to deal with these other awful cities...

Arrogant so and so...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

The thread title wasn't "worst city in Ireland" btw.

Has everything every other county has, plenty nice spots off the beaten track.... Im not a travel agent, dont have to sell me county, if ya like it ya like it if ya dont ya dont, no sweat off my sack.

I forgot the roundabouts. Kilkenny has loads of them......:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Dublin is the worlds biggest ever housing estate.

Well I do I associate people with the place to be honest. not the only deciding factor but it is a factor.

It is a factor - as is its public perception and its crime rate.

• Advertisement

Kold wrote: »
    Dublin is the worlds biggest ever housing estate.

Mayo has the lowest murder rate in Ireland

Friday January 02 2009 Evening Herald

MURDER rates in Dublin are now the sixth highest in Europe.

Only five other European capitals have higher homicide levels in the latest United Nations league table.

Dublin comes four places ahead of London, which ranks 10th in the list.

And according to the figures, Ireland as a whole is 10th in Europe, with a worse record for violent deaths than England and Wales.

In Ireland and Britain, only Glasgow comes ahead of Dublin -- in fifth place. Latvian capital Riga was number one on the list.

Advertisement