Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst county in Ireland ??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Bugnug wrote: »
    Proves my point! By the way YE and YERSELVES are not words!

offtopic

http://m-w.com/dictionary/ye

Ye

Pronunciation: \ˈyē\
    Function: pronoun
    Etymology: Middle English, from Old English gē; akin to Old High German ir you — more at you
    Date: before 12th century

: you 1 —used originally only as a plural pronoun of the second person in the subjective case and now used especially in ecclesiastical or literary language and in various English dialects

/offtopic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

isnt he lucky?:pac: some people have to endure enjoy it so much more than that:rolleyes:

Ah, roll your little beady eyes as much as you like, but ignorance of your own capital is a sin. Get down and enjoy it!! :D

By the way, love Donegal myself, but I am well traveled around my island!!

I fixed your post there. xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Jev/N wrote: »
    offtopic

http://m-w.com/dictionary/ye

Ye

Pronunciation: \ˈyē\
    Function: pronoun
    Etymology: Middle English, from Old English gē; akin to Old High German ir you — more at you
    Date: before 12th century

: you 1 —used originally only as a plural pronoun of the second person in the subjective case and now used especially in ecclesiastical or literary language and in various English dialects

/offtopic

thou dont sayeth

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bogs

WORST COUNTY IN IRELAND HAS TO BE DUBLIN ITS A DISASTER.

lightening wrote: »
    Ah, roll your little beady eyes as much as you like, but ignorance of your own capital is a sin. Get down and enjoy it!! :D

i suppose Dublin is a bit of a disappointment as a capital city.

now that people are eductated past primary school level and are well traveled it no longer is impressive.

Dublin was the seat of power and the centre of knowledge and culture.

but - now we see incompetant civil servants and gombeen politicians as not very good at their jobs or technically competant with the recession, lacking skills to supervise/regulate as in the banking crisis, union leaders unreasonable and politicians not knowing where the billions were spent., boring and talentless broadcasting

even the civil servants know its overpriced as they shop in newry

so dublin has lots its mystique and is very overpriced

so what are you left with shops -mostly foreign chainstores - and pubs and a few substandasrd overpriced theatres etc

nothing you cant do elsewhere better and cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

CDfm wrote: »
    thou dont sayeth

Note the "various English dialects" part....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sofunky

Dublin - the Unionists in the North have warned us for years about the Dublin Government. Did we listen no and look at the mess they have made of the country. Crippled with debt we are. Could we take the vote away from the Dubs or better still could the 25 other counties secede and form our own republic and leave them with all the debt.
    indeed. why do ya yhink we call it the peoples republic of cork. the worst county is dublin. if it isnt full of people who say "rind abite" and people who say " come to my hise" (as demonstrated by AA rewdwatch people on the radio, its full of skangers:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Cork. The people going around with a chip on their shoulder about being the second city which seems to have bred a deep insecurity

Second city? They think they're the 'Real Capital'.:rolleyes:

Take Cork City out of the equation and the county itself isn't too bad and people outside the "Real Capital" are ok.
    if it isnt full of people who say "rind abite" and people who say " come to my hise" (as demonstrated by AA rewdwatch people on the radio, its full of skangers

And you don't find people saying 'boi' all the time in a irritating, nasal tone to be annoying? It's as bad as the D4 or Dublin Skanger accent.

Leitrim is the worst. Like Tir Na Nog or Atlantis, does it actually exist?

And you don't find people saying 'boi' all the time in a irritating, nasal tone to be annoying? It's as bad as the D4 or Dublin Skanger accent.

Leitrim is the worst. Like Tir Na Nog or Atlantis, does it actually exist?

And Dun Laoighaire-Rathdown and Fingal have really entered the nayional consciousness.

now we see incompetant civil servants and gombeen politicians as not very good at their jobs or technically competant with the recession

Most of whom are not from Dublin and are voted in by people from all over the country no matter what they are up to, look at Beverly Cooper Flynn for example, look at Michael Lowry? Corrupt politicians, cheats and thieves, not from Dublin, but voted back in because "ah sure they are great people". Just look at what happened in Listowel recently.
    so dublin has lots its mystique and is very overpriced

so what are you left with shops -mostly foreign chainstores - and pubs and a few substandasrd overpriced theatres etc

Overpriced? Dublin, one of the only European capitals that offers free admission to most of its museums and galleries. What theater is overpriced? Where else in the country can you have all you eat for under ten Euro? Pints for three Euro or two drinks for the price of two. Early bird offers throughout the city. You may be "very well traveled" but, I suggest you travel to Dublin and experience it properly before pontificating about your capital. You are just showing what little you know about it.

You are dead right about Cork, chip or no chip on the shoulder, fantastic county.

• Advertisement

Most of whom are not from Dublin and are voted in by people from all over the country no matter what they are up to, look at Beverly Cooper Flynn for example, look at Michael Lowry? Corrupt politicians, cheats and thieves, not from Dublin, but voted back in because "ah sure they are great people". Just look at what happened in Listowel recently.

But the public services job is to stop that. Anyway - Dublin is not that impressive anymore and we are a small country.

Overpriced? Dublin, one of the only European capitals that offers free admission to most of its museums and galleries. What theater is overpriced? Where else in the country can you have all you eat for under ten Euro? Pints for three Euro or two drinks for the price of two. Early bird offers throughout the city. You may be "very well traveled" but, I suggest you travel to Dublin and experience it properly before pontificating about your capital. You are just showing what little you know about it.

That doesnt translate to services in balinasloe - if you come to Dublin for a bank holiday weekend all the museums are closed. Prices came down for the recession and nothing else. So the public services in Dublin heavily subsidised theater and galleries are all for Dublin residents. Maybe they should be transfered to the county council and have a special Dublin tax for Dublin people.

I am not a teenager so a few cheap pints is not going to impress me. Anyway the North is cheaper. Maybe all the cheap booze is the cause of Dublin's huge crime rate. Crime Levels in Dublins Southern Metropolitan area dwarf Limerick.

Jeez -you Dubs have an enormous sense of entitlement and along with that you have A&E services to patch up the walking wounded visitors who get caught up in the Crime Capital.

You are dead right about Cork, chip or no chip on the shoulder, fantastic county.

Not having a pop at Dublin but the capital bit is an overplayed card.

That doesnt translate to services in balinasloe - if you come to Dublin for a bank holiday weekend all the museums are closed. Prices came down for the recession and nothing else. So the public services in Dublin heavily subsidised theater and galleries are all for Dublin residents. Maybe they should be transfered to the county council and have a special Dublin tax for Dublin people.

What are you talking about? You are displaying a massive lack of knowledge of the city.

National Museum, Kildare St.
    Opening hours: Tuesday-Saturday 10am-5pm, Sunday 2-5pm.
    Admission: Free.

Hugh Lane Municipal Gallery of Modern Art
    Opening Hours: Tuesday-Friday, 9;30am-6pm; Saturday, 9:30am-5pm; Sunday, 11am-5pm.
    Admission: Free; donations accepted.

Chester Beatty Library and Gallery of Oriental Art
    Opening hours: 10am-5pm Tues-Fri; 2pm-5pm Sat; tours on Wednesday and Saturday at 2.30pm.
    Admission: Free

National Gallery
    Opening Hours: Monday - Wednesday, Friday & Saturday 10am-5:30pm, Thursday 10am-8:30pm, Sunday 2-5pm.

Trinity College Top
    Opening hours: Monday- Saturday 9:30am-5:30am, Sunday noon-5:30pm.

St. Patrick's Cathedral
    Opening Hours: April-October: Monday-Friday 9am-6pm; Saturday, 9am-5pm; Sunday, 10am-11am 12:15pm-3pm. November-March: Monday-Friday, 9am-6pm; Saturday, 9am-4pm, Sunday, 10:30am-11am 12:15pm-3pm.

Chester Beatty Library and Gallery of Oriental Art
    Opening hours: 10am-5pm Tues-Fri; 2pm-5pm Sat; tours on Wednesday and Saturday at 2.30pm.
    Admission: Free
    few cheap pints is not going to impress me.

Well, stop claiming Dublin is overpriced when you clearly haven't a clue about the city.
    Jeez -you Dubs have an enormous sense of entitlement and along with that you have A&E services to patch up the walking wounded visitors who get caught up in the Crime Capital.

Yawn.... typical big city fear pub talk cr@p. Get over it, it's a safe city, believe me, I obviously know the place better than you.

Get back to me after your bank holiday visit to your capital and you have learned something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 radio_protector

Dublin= the best

Longford= the worst

Dublin has absolutely everything you need! I'd prefer to live in the countryside but i know it would be stressful to do some things down there that in Dublin would be just down the road.

Who actually cares about longford? Honestly!

EDIT: I've lived in Dublin since i was two and i have never got into a fight. I live a five minute walk from Crumlin, Drimnagh and a ten minute walk from Tallaght so it's not that i live in a posh area

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Crime Levels in Dublins Southern Metropolitan area dwarf Limerick.

BREAKING NEWS
    Man discovers secret to crime stats. Which is that areas with a larger population may have more crime than areas with a smaller population.

BREAKING NEWS
    Man discovers secret to crime stats. Which is that areas with a larger population may have more crime than areas with a smaller population.

The figures in the links are per capita and the crime rates in Dublin are higher than most European Capitals - so people don't feel safe visiting Dublin because it is not safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

County Fingal, because there is no luas out there.

(Dumb post, dumb answer)

people don't feel safe visiting Dublin

Again, incorrect. They come to Dublin from all over the the country and the world in their droves, they feel safe and they come home uninjured. Now you may not feel safe after hearing stories and hearsay about the city, but that's you.

Did you see my post about the opening times for the galleries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Portadown is the most depressing place I've ever been to in this country. You need anti-depressants after going there.

I have begun to dislike Offaly immensely because of someone I met last year who completely did my head in who was from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭potsy11

lots of people bickering about what’s best.....

Who Cares. We all own the Republic no matter if its Cork, Dublin, Longford etc...

Lets work together to make this place better....Its ours so lets be united and defend and support each other - the Irish way.

Any other nation reading this post will think we are absolute Muppets.

We are not Dubs or langers or culchies.....

We Are Irish and This is Ireland (like the guy out of 300)......

Happy New Year....

potsy11 wrote: »
    Lets work together to make this place better....Its ours so lets be united and defend and support each other - the Irish way.

You are like Brian of the Dál gCais! He had a hard job trying to unite us. But, there it's more than just bickering, a lot of people are commenting on areas of Ireland that they clearly have not a clue about. They have a vague idea of what a place might be like and are spouting cr@p basically.

• Advertisement

Again, incorrect. They come to Dublin from all over the the country and the world in their droves, they feel safe and they come home uninjured. Now you may not feel safe after hearing stories and hearsay about the city, but that's you.

Did you see my post about the opening times for the galleries?

I would feel safer in London or Brussels.

Im not quoting hearsay I posted links to EU crime survey and the Garda regional crime report.

I live and work in Dublin BTW. I wish it was different but it is not and there are areas of Dublin I love but I wouldnt go to lots after dark.

Maybe its changed now but quite a lot of the facilities were closed on Bank Holidays.

I would feel safer in London or Brussels.

Maybe so, that is your issue.
    Maybe its changed now but quite a lot of the facilities were closed on Bank Holidays.

Nope, nothing has changed, they are always open at the weekends. You may work and live in Dublin, you clearly don't know it at all. Believe me, it is a very safe city.
    there are areas of Dublin I love but I wouldnt go to lots after dark.

There are lots of places in every city and town I wouldn't go to after dark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Louth solely because it has horrendous places like Drogheda (Dwahadaw hay) Dundalk (Dundaawk). If Louth didn't have Drogheda I'd say Cork though.

The thing is lightening that we love to persuade ourselves that we are Irish and loads of fun and great craic but our tolerance for crime etc is fairly awful.

Its not pick on Dublin Day - I go out to nice places but thats because I can.

Friday January 02 2009 Evening Herald

MURDER rates in Dublin are now the sixth highest in Europe.

Only five other European capitals have higher homicide levels in the latest United Nations league table.

Dublin comes four places ahead of London, which ranks 10th in the list.

And according to the figures, Ireland as a whole is 10th in Europe, with a worse record for violent deaths than England and Wales.

In Ireland and Britain, only Glasgow comes ahead of Dublin -- in fifth place. Latvian capital Riga was number one on the list.

This link shows that Dublin is the worst county by crime rate with the south of the Dublin Metropolitan Region being totally out there on all indicators.

http://hiberniagirl.blogspot.com/2008/05/high-crime-rates-in-ireland-in-regions.html

The EU think the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I hate Sligo, had to stay there by myself for 3 nights a couple of years ago, I wanted to drive my car into a wall

Look, CDcm you have been proved wrong again and again on this thread with your musings on Dublin. Searching the internet for stats and figures to back your one last point is scraping the barrel. Stats and figures can be skewed by factors, gang violence and patch wars for instance.

A city is not made up of stats and figures, it's made up of communities, architecture, soul, commerce and people among other things.

Now, you clearly don't know the city, that's obvious by your posts. I suggest you get out from behind your pc and get to know it.

Go out and visit the museums and galleries now that you know they are open, go to the pubs and restaurants, check out the Dublin forum for good deals. You complained about stuff that you thought were overpriced and you thought were inaccessible to you. Now you know about them, so go out and enjoy them and get back to us when you have.

I promise, you won't get murdered.

Onkle, Sligo rocks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

Look, CDcm you have been proved wrong again and again on this thread with your musings on Dublin. Searching the internet for stats and figures to back your one last point is scraping the barrel. Stats and figures can be skewed by factors, gang violence and patch wars for instance.

A city is not made up of stats and figures, it's made up of communities, architecture, soul, commerce and people among other things.

Now, you clearly don't know the city, that's obvious by your posts. I suggest you get out from behind your pc and get to know it.

Go out and visit the museums and galleries now that you know they are open, go to the pubs and restaurants, check out the Dublin forum for good deals. You complained about stuff that you thought were overpriced and you thought were inaccessible to you. Now you know about them, so go out and enjoy them and get back to us when you have.

I promise, you won't get murdered.

Onkle, Sligo rocks!

Exactly and well said. I am not from Dublin but I have lived here for the last 2 years as have my 3 "culchie" friends. We have never had a moments bother. I have travelled extensively throughout Europe and as a first class all round city Dublin is up there with Paris and way ahead of Barcelona and Rome. Its a fantastic little city everything is so accessible and unlike almost all other european cities so many of the galleries and public building are free addmission. Still wouldnt like to see them win the all Ireland though

have it your own way lightening - I do like Dublin and I know it very well having lived here on and off for 20 years or so.

The EU published a survey where they say 22% of people in Ireland have recent experience of personal crime compared to an EU average of 15% and far higher than the official statistics.

So if I think that way and if others think that way -well its because we have something to compare it to.

I think a mature persons perception of whats tolerable and a teenage student young adult experience are different. I would rate Dublin as worse than Limerick City center any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

have it your own way lightening - I do like Dublin and I know it very well having lived here on and off for 20 years or so.

The EU published a survey where they say 22% of people in Ireland have recent experience of personal crime compared to an EU average of 15% and far higher than the official statistics.

So if I think that way and if others think that way -well its because we have something to compare it to.

It all depends on what is considered crime I didn't read any or your links but in relation to london, seeing as the survery was relaesed in january of this year perhaps the reduction of class types in certain drugs and other aspects of britains attempst at social policing might have lowered there crime stats for the year 2008.

anyway I dont care I love Dublin:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭potsy11

Onkle wrote: »
    I hate Sligo, had to stay there by myself for 3 nights a couple of years ago, I wanted to drive my car into a wall

You obviously didnt play Rosses point golf course, didnt go to Austies for a pint after and obviously didnt go to the Velvet Rooms night club. My idea of a perfect weekend.....

Sligo Rocks...

Advertisement