Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

African Adoption??

Options
  • 27-12-2009 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi! I am wondering if anyone can give me some info on adopting from Africa?

Does anyone have any idea about age/marriage restrictions on prospective parents in African countries?
    Unfortunately google just isn't showing up the info we want.

The reason I ask is that the majority of countries operate on the aged over 30 rule. I'm 25 and my husband is 29- we've already been married 2 years and tbh we don't want to have to wait that long!
    Thailand allows 25 and over but as far as I can make out on the adoption board website they've started to restrict the number of referrals for Irish parents so we could be on a waiting list for years.

If anyone can help we'd be really grateful :)
    Thanks!

Fionnuala

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

FinnyXx wrote: »
    Hi! I am wondering if anyone can give me some info on adopting from Africa?

Does anyone have any idea about age/marriage restrictions on prospective parents in African countries?
    Unfortunately google just isn't showing up the info we want.

The reason I ask is that the majority of countries operate on the aged over 30 rule. I'm 25 and my husband is 29- we've already been married 2 years and tbh we don't want to have to wait that long!
    Thailand allows 25 and over but as far as I can make out on the adoption board website they've started to restrict the number of referrals for Irish parents so we could be on a waiting list for years.

If anyone can help we'd be really grateful :)
    Thanks!

Fionnuala

Silly question but have you asked in the Irish adoption board, I would think they would have most of the info you looking for and since they are going to play a big part in your possible adoption it could be a good starting point to build some bridges.

I wish you the best of luck, so many children need good homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FinnyXx

Thanks for the reply.

We haven't been in contact with anyone from the HSE or Adoption Board since we requested the initial info pack. On the website it only gives info about Thailand, China, Vietnam and the Philippines..

I think these might be the only countries where the AB will apply to on your behalf once you've been approved. I think with any other country you need to find an agency within that country to handle the adoption yourself- I think! I'm not fully sure... Again if anyone has any info it'd be greatly appreciated

Thanks for the reply.

We haven't been in contact with anyone from the HSE or Adoption Board since we requested the initial info pack. On the website it only gives info about Thailand, China, Vietnam and the Philippines..

I think these might be the only countries where the AB will apply to on your behalf once you've been approved. I think with any other country you need to find an agency within that country to handle the adoption yourself- I think! I'm not fully sure... Again if anyone has any info it'd be greatly appreciated

I saw that but I would contact them anyway, as they may have contact information useful to you.
    Nothing to lose ;)

Have a look at this link, may be helpful

http://www.iaaireland.org/library/Adopting_From_Africa.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FinnyXx

tudlytops wrote: »

Have a look at this link, may be helpful

http://www.iaaireland.org/library/Adopting_From_Africa.pdf

Cheers. I'll keep an eye out for another of these information evenings- this one was 13th November :p

I appreciate your help

Cheers. I'll keep an eye out for another of these information evenings- this one was 13th November :p

I appreciate your help

yes i saw that, but there is an email address, so I though you may get some info from them.

Good luck :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement