Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MY female dobie is very sick.

Options
  • 27-12-2009 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

I have not posted here for ages for some reason. Its just my dogs were just all great and enjoying themselves and I had become accustomed to the pressures of managing three dogs effectively.

But as usual before the Christmas holiday Dec 23rd - my female Dobie I noticed was not eating and feeling depressed. Off I go to the vet who gives her some tablets to take but no good. To the vet again the next day and a kidney infection was detected by the vets own blood testing system so some injections which I administered myself according to the vets instructions. Still not much good though and she is still feeling very poorly.

Problem is with everything closed for the holidays no proper blood tests can be carried out and the vets is closed however he has been very good and has come in to his surgery anytime I wanted her checked out.

I fear its something serious which has not yet been identified so its just a matter of trying to get her through this until everything opens up again and she can be treated properly.

Its strange as my elderly dad was hospitalised for a kidney infection at the same time my dog got sick and the female dobie regarded my dad as 'her master' even though I was paying the bills :rolleyes:

So I have my old man in hospital (probably never going to be back to normal) and a dobie who can oly barely walk. Merry Christmas. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

What are her symptoms ? What age is she ? Has she been spayed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

aww... Alfasudcrazy thats a horrible run over Christmas :(

Hows she doing today? Is she old? Your Vet sounds fantastic! I hope your Dad and your Doggie get better soon! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Its not looking good for Bonnie (my Dobie). We had a nice bit of relatively warm sunshine for a bit yesterday evening so I brought her (with the other dogs) to her favouite place for a walk just to see would it do some good. However I went home feeling worse than my dog as she could only barely walk back to the jeep. I knew then for definite she was in big trouble as she was always the 'leader of the pack' in terms of exploring and relishing walks.

Glad to say my Dad is slowly improving too but there are a lot of challenges ahead. .

Normally I would be devastated by such things but when there is too much to worry about there must be some trip switch in the brain that pops as I can still think about things rationally. I find myself constantly working and doing things as it helps avoid becoming depressed. The vet seemed to be gently suggesting that she should be put down which I suppose is a decision I might have to make soon. My other dobie is distraught and seems depressed too - not his usual self at all. But as always the collie makes everyone laugh. Bonnie and the collie grew to be best mates eventually but Bonnie hated her for the first year. Similarly with me she drolled over my Dad and would walk past me as if I was not there - only in the last year has she opened up with me which makes it even sadder for me.

Oops sorry for going on - just thinking out loud really. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Alfa - you can come in and ramble any time, it's a very tough thing that's happening.
    The human mind can do that switch thingy - I do it, so does my dad, concentrate on what has to be done and what is being done rather than the what ifs.

I hope your father improves - he's in the best place and with care and rest he will hopefully get better. Things may not be the same, but people can adapt :)

Your poor Bonnie - of course your other dogs will pick up on her not being well and any other feelings in the house. Regarding the decision to put her to sleep - that's obviously a massive decision, and won't be easy to make if it has to be made. I know you're trying all routes of getting her better, which is all you can do for her right now, and making sure she's comfortable and happy. Once the bad starts outweighing the good, you will probably have to consider what's best for her. I hope it doesn't come to that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

Fingers crossed everything will work out ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Hope both Bonnie and your Dad will be ok. That trip switch in the mind does come into play at times like this. It's a sort of protection mechanism. You'll know yourself if and when it's time to let Bonnie go but hopefully she'll get over this and have more happy years with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

is she drinking a lot???if so ask the vet to check for diabities,,my dobbie went through the same sort of thing,,funnily enough at this time of year too.. The vet thought it was a kidney infection inatially but it was diabities,,,once we got the dosage right she went on to live a very happy life and lived untill she was nearly 13..unfortunatley she was pts last month but it was cancer not the diabities that got her in the end:(
    Hope she recovers soon,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

sorry for your loss - beatiful babies - obviously loved and well cared for - my thoughts are with you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm really sorry to hear about your girl. I know it's slim comfort but it sounds as if even though her life was short it was very good. That she was happy and loved and had everything she needed and more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Sorry to hear she didn't make it. You made her happy while she was with you, although I know that's of little comfort to you right now.

Well - collected my new Dobie today - a 4 month old female - in a mammoth drive to Donegal town and back in a day. A long day for the dog too but the Landcruiser performed brilliantly as always.

I was apprehensive about getting another Dobie as I expected it might upset my other Dobie. I had been on the point of collecting two cross collies yesterday but because people had phoned up the vets to put their names down for one of the litter I was denied any of them so then I arranged the Dobie deal €380 full pedigree. Naturally when it was too late the collies were again available but it was either another Dobie or two cross collies - not both options.

As feared my other Dobie became very upset when he jumped into the back of the jeep to greet his sister to find a whimpering pup who thought he was going to chew her up.

I will start a new happier thread in the next few days with pics of the new addition. So far she is typical new Dobie - looking a bit lost and scraggly but with a heart of gold.

Well it's very soon after the passing of Bonnie - so it's understandable your other Dobie is confused at the situation. Just make sure to give him lots of attention and reassurance.

Best of luck with the new gal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Well - collected my new Dobie today - a 4 month old female - in a mammoth drive to Donegal town and back in a day. A long day for the dog too but the Landcruiser performed brilliantly as always.

That was quick- 4 days? Wouldn't you have left it for at least a few weeks or so to let your dogs and yourself grieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Everyone grieves in different ways, no one has to understand what works for other people. Sometimes the joy in a new dog can help the whole family to recover and other times waiting is the answer. Everyone is different, there's no magic formula.

Magenta wrote: »
    That was quick- 4 days? Wouldn't you have left it for at least a few weeks or so to let your dogs and yourself grieve?

Ah yes - now I recall why I stopped posting here a while back - in my grief I could not exactly recall why. :rolleyes:

Everyone grieves in different ways, no one has to understand what works for other people. Sometimes the joy in a new dog can help the whole family to recover and other times waiting is the answer. Everyone is different, there's no magic formula.

Well when I lose an animal that meant a lot to me, the last thing on my mind would be rushing out for a new one. The OP has said that the deceased dog's brother is confused by the new arrival, and while I am glad the OP seems to be happy with the new arrival, perhaps it would have been better for the dog to have some time to get used to life without his sister first. Dogs grieve the same as humans do.
    Ah yes - now I recall why I stopped posting here a while back - in my grief I could not exactly recall why. :rolleyes:

That remark is so passive aggressive that I am not sure what you mean, but I do apologise for having a different opinion to you, if that's what you found offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Magenta wrote: »
    Well when I lose an animal that meant a lot to me, the last thing on my mind would be rushing out for a new one.

That remark (in this particular thread) is so delithouthly thelf thentered, you might as well have kept it to yourself :rolleyes:

@ Alfasudcrazy
    Best wishes to you and the new addition to the "pack"

peasant wrote: »
    That remark (in this particular thread) is so delithouthly thelf thentered, you might as well have kept it to yourself :rolleyes:

@ Alfasudcrazy
    Best wishes to you and the new addition to the "pack"

Oh well I'm very sorry, I am sure every post you have ever made is polite, tactful, and exactly what people want to hear. :rolleyes:

I am only thinking of the OP's remaining Dobermann, who is possibly very confused about all the goings on in the past week.

Ok we'll end that there please people

Everyone deals/views differently and we'll leave it at that

• Advertisement

I waited 10 years after my first Dobie died - partly as I could not deal with the possible grief of losing another Dobie.
    Having been there before I know that that is the wrong thing to do and that in that 10 years I could have provided a loving happy environment for another Dobie or any dog ( I did not have any) So this time around the grief is several times higher as she was so young and the death came so quickly and left me just stunned.

I found I was getting worse every day and feared for my sanity as my Dad is seriously ill too bizarrely having its origins in a kidney infection - the main cause of death in my Dobie.

I saw this dobie advertised - the last of a litter and sensed she was in trouble and being neglected - a situation which is all too apparent from her thinness and general condition. She will be off to the vets as soon as they open to get a general check out and her second booster vaccination (her first was last September!) So I set off at 4am after finishing work braving possible blizzards and reports that Mayo was snowed under to get her in Donegal.
    As if some divine force was guiding me the road was generally dry and clear so I got her.
    My point being that my dogs have an idyllic life with everything they want they will have to put up with the odd bit of discomfort when a dog less fortunate than themselves joins the pack as they had to when I rescued my abandoned collie. They got over it then and they will now too. I am sorry for being a bit sharp in my earlier post but I suppose its an understandable and obvious viewpoint. :)

Some pics of the new lady.
    IMAG0004-1.jpg
    IMAG0007-1.jpg
    IMAG0008-2.jpg

What ya think of the new wan? Mmmm seems a bit cheeky to me.
    IMAG0013-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Sometimes faith just steps in and hands you what you need when you need it. Maybe think of it that your first dog was taken from you so you could open your home to this pup in need. Its how I like to think of things anyway :)

I waited 10 years after my first Dobie died - partly as I could not deal with the possible grief of losing another Dobie.
    Having been there before I know that that is the wrong thing to do and that in that 10 years I could have provided a loving happy environment for another Dobie or any dog ( I did not have any) So this time around the grief is several times higher as she was so young and the death came so quickly and left me just stunned.

I found I was getting worse every day and feared for my sanity as my Dad is seriously ill too bizarrely having its origins in a kidney infection - the main cause of death in my Dobie.

I saw this dobie advertised - the last of a litter and sensed she was in trouble and being neglected - a situation which is all too apparent from her thinness and general condition. She will be off to the vets as soon as they open to get a general check out and her second booster vaccination (her first was last September!) So I set off at 4am after finishing work braving possible blizzards and reports that Mayo was snowed under to get her.
    As if some divine force was guiding me the road was generally dry and clear so I got her.
    My point being that my dogs have an idyllic life with everything they want they will have to put up with the odd bit of discomfort when a dog less fortunate than themselves joins the pack as they had to when I rescued my abandoned collie. They got over it then and they will now too. I am sorry for being a bit sharp in my earlier post but I suppose its an understandable and obvious viewpoint. :)

I am glad that you are happy with your new puppy, it was just the idea of your other dog being upset that got me! :(
    Maybe having the new puppy around will distract him from thinking about his sister and cheer him up.

Have you picked out a name for the new puppy yet?

Hey Alfasudcrazy i hope it all goes well for you, sounds like you did the right thing to me, keep us up to date

was so jealous of your "running photo" i took my 5 down the beach today - when i get chance i'll see if there's any post worthy pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Alfasudcrazy, you don't have to justify yourself to anybody. If getting this new dog was the right thing for you to do then that is your move to make. And nobody knows your dogs or loves your dogs like you do, I'm sure you also considered them fully when you made your decision. People should know that everybody deals with situations differently and what is right for them may not be right for another person/family/pack.

I could be crazily off base here, and I'm sorry if I'm over-stepping the mark, but have you mentioned what happened to Bonnie to your father's doctors? Could it be possible that they both got poisoned in some way? It could be that I've seen too many episodes of House:o but if the doctors don't already know, it wouldn't hurt to tell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

Alfasudcrazy, Im really sorry to hear about Bonnie :( We've all been there at some stage and its so hard. Congratulations on your new pup! She is lovely! I'm glad you found each other and I hope you have great fun together!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭GinaH

What is that 'Thing' around her neck ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I saw that too and was wondering what it was?

Lovely pup though.:)

andreac wrote: »
    I saw that too and was wondering what it was?

Lovely pup though.:)

i'd guess bark collar or electric fence collar?

• Advertisement

Electronic Fence collar.

I had my new dobie a the vets today being vaccinated and it is possible Bonnie may have somehow ingested antifreeze. I thought the idea absurd as none of my cars leak coolant and all containers of antifreeze are stored in sealed containers in other garages.
    Then the horrific thought that we had a digger and other machinery parked in the yard before christmas while some construction was going on and perhaps one of them may have had a leak.
    I am totally devastated at this possible and (if correct) stupid cause of death. Is it easy to do a post mortem on a dog or to detect antifreeze in the system (she is not cremated yet - in a freezer) and who could do one for me?
    God I know I should just drop this and let it be but I can't. :(

Advertisement