Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog trainer in Galway?

Options
  • 27-12-2009 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

My sister got a present of a puppy for Christmas. She never had as dog before and need to have it professionally trained as she is quite house proud. She loves the little mut but doesn't want here house reeking of pi$$.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055239429
    hopefully that search is of more use

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

GC->Animals
    They know best :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Firstly - you don't need a professional just to potty train the pup, that's something that your sister can do herself. What age is the pup?
    Pups don't have control over their toilet goings until near 12weeks, when they need to go, they have to go.

There's a few ways of training, there's puppy pads and there's crate training (two more popular methods). I've never done crate training myself so can't advise, but others here will. When I got my pup at 9weeks the breeder had the idea ingrained in her of going on the newspaper. We bought puppy pads as they tend to protect the floor better than newspaper. You would bring them to the pad if they need to go (even mid flow) and praise praise praise when they go. People then tend to move the pad closer to the door/eventually get them outside. (we just used the pads for night time really)

Best idea, is to bring the pup out regular and often, right after big drinks, right after food (because when they're young young, they need to go pretty soon after). So if you bring them out often, they'll just go when they're out there, and you give them lots of praise and they start to get the idea. If the pup is under 12 weeks it's not their fault if they go inside the house so no point giving out to them. It's more your fault if they go inside, because you weren't attentive.
    When they get past that age they gain more control and can hold it for a little bit, not ages now! but if they go in the house after that (and you'd have been training them to go outside too by this point) you give a firm 'no' and bring them outside. Usually if you've noticed a while after they've gone, it's not going to do a lot, but we did it anyway. If you see them wee'ing inside the house, pick them up and put them out, mid wee or not, when they are outside and finish, lots of praise. They'll pick it up pretty quickly.

But the key is to bring them out often, then soon they'll be letting you know they want to go out.

Is there anything else your sister needs info on?

Advertisement