Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus 20 MB Broadband, or so they say.

• 27-12-2009 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭

In my time of having it, the best I have seen my speeds go up to was 11mb/s. I'm currently seeing my speeds at 6.25 MB/s. Honestly, I'm surprised it is that high, not downloading anything but I'm constantly getting web pages just crap out on me while loading.

Going to try ringing them again tomorrow. If it wasn't for breaking the 10 MB mark, I'd have thought they had me on 10 MB while charging for 20 MB. Just curious though, have others had issues with Chorus, and decided to move elsewhere? And if so, where to and were they better?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i'm with upc and get my max i'm on the 10mb connection

their broadband is contended
    your area probably has a lot of people useing their broadband.

the only thing you can do is keep bugging them and maybe get your neighbors aswell and they might fix the problem.

the more people to complain in the area the more likely they will do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

How to are you checking your speeds(speedtest, wire/wireless? etc) and how long have you had the service. . If it is contention its never ignored it, although some times it can take awhile to segment. I'm getting the following speeds at the moment below, over a wireless connection.
    664577603.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I tend to use speedtest, and unfortunately, wireless is my only option. The desktop is too far from the router for wired connectivity to be a viable option. I reckon it is down to contention, too, as said. I see a lot of UPC on the other connections.
    Results.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

i had 20mb chorus in tipperary for 2 years and never lost speed with them.

just wish they were available in donegal now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

no problems here on my 10mb.. occasionally drops to maybe 8.5mbs for an hour or so. nothing noticable though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    no problems here on my 10mb.. occasionally drops to maybe 8.5mbs for an hour or so. nothing noticable though.

Had problems with contention UPC addend on more bandwidth in my area now I am now a happy bunny.

Torrents eat up bandwidth I have a feeling UPC will have to add on more in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Ranicand wrote: »
    Had problems with contention UPC addend on more bandwidth in my area now I am now a happy bunny.

Torrents eat up bandwidth I have a feeling UPC will have to add on more in the future.
    i think they're already dealing with it. recently (in the last 2-3 months), my torrents have become slower and slower, especially uploads, but still fast enough to be acceptable.

i cant honestly blame them though.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    i think they're already dealing with it. recently (in the last 2-3 months), my torrents have become slower and slower, especially uploads, but still fast enough to be acceptable.

i cant honestly blame them though.

Most torrents are illegal content they are the reason more bandwidth is needed.

I won't preach however guilty as charged.:D

Edit I only download legal free stuff.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Pushtrak try connecting wired directly to the modem(borrow a laptop?) and rerunning speedtest. Its also worth grabbing something from heanet (link) let it download it for a minute and check the transfer rate. Another thing you could do is pick a different channel on your wireless router use netstumbler(XP) or vistumbler(vista) to see the least used channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 BDW

Been on UPC 20 MBit in Sligo for about 2 months now, never dropped below 20 MBit, and I get some decent burst on it too

661291640.png

the burst lasts about 10 seconds top, but usually quick enough to get a considerable amount downloaded.

I'm connected directly up to the EPC2425, and make sure "Flood Detection" is turned off in the modems firewall options, it's a killer and slows things right down... Don't see the point of LAN flood detection, but i'm not a network pro...

• Advertisement

Whatever they did in my area in the last few weeks this is now my peak time speed.
    665357232.png

Advertisement