Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are there any good places online to buy pups?

Options
  • 27-12-2009 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

I live in an apartment and don't want a big dog as he would crap too much.

I am looking to get a pup, any good place online, or around Cork if be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Go to an animal pound, the one by Mahon Point, you will get a free one.

But remember, get one that will stay small, it would be sh1t to get rid of it just because it got big!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

where exactly is the one by Mahon Point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

coming from the south link road go through the junction at the entrance to the shopping centre and b and q and it just there on the left cant miss it. its a modern looking building

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

do they just give them out or is there legal jargon involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

CorkMan wrote: »
    do they just give them out or is there legal jargon involved?

Don't know about any bull surrounding it. You might need a licence, something like 15 euro. But it should be relatively hassle free!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭FunkyMissMonkey

It's not like a department store though, they don't always have what you want "in stock" as it were. Any dog that ends up there is either stray or surrendered, so they have different dogs at different times. If you're looking for something specific, might be worth ringing first.

1550 200 789

Good luck.

As for just handing them out, I believe there's a cost involved - towards vaccinations, spay/neuter and microchipping. But you're rescuing a dog, rather than making the situation worse by supporting a potential puppy farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Bumble32

Give it another week or two and you'll have your choice of pups to choose from, the pound should be over flowing with unwanted Christmas gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Bumble32

http://www.cspca.ie/

They need all the help they can get with unwanted pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sunshinegirl

irishanimals.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

Yep, check out your local Dog Pounds and Animal Shelters. They will ask you to fill out an adoption form, there is usually a house check and a minimum donation will be required. Sadly, there probably will be loads of unwanted pets finding their way to shelters across the Country in the coming weeks so maybe wait a little bit to find the right dog for you.

Actually, check over in the pets forum, they have a sticky thread for animals who are looking for homes there! I got one of my dogs from Irishanimals.com Good Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Most animal charities will not rehome dogs to people who don't have their own garden -where will the dog be when you aren't at home stuck inside?

Please take some time to think about how practical having a dog is for you at the moment. A responsible breeder also wouldnt sell to you either but there are loads of dodgy breeders who don't care what happens to their dogs once they get the money.

I would love a dog too but it wouldnt be fair at the moment-if you want to help why not donate to an animal charity, offer to help out first ,or look for a pet that might suit where you live more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Most places don't just hand out pups/dogs/animals.
    There's usually a vetting process, and usually a fee to cover costs of vaccinations/neutering etc.

Don't get one lightly, if you're looking for a pup, there's a lot of work involved in training it (including toilet training).
    And if you're in an apartment, make sure your landlord allows dogs and make sure you get the right dog. Some people do have dogs in apartments, make sure you bring it for walks.
    If you get a pup, it needs it's vaccinations, and a license.

sorry meant to say http://www.animalcaresociety.ie/ are a good place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

CorkMan wrote: »
    I live in an apartment and don't want a big dog as he would crap too much.

I am looking to get a pup, any good place online, or around Cork if be?

There are so many things wrong with this....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

OK first off - don't get one from the CSPCA - i got a german shepherd from there in August and she was handed to me (after me handing them €100) unvaccinated, unspayed, no microchip, not wormed, 10lbs underwight and not even brushed - oh did i mention she was also 5 weeks pregnant (the pregnancy last 9 weeks normally) - so in September i had (well she had them) 6 pups of whom three i have managed to rehome, one is staying - the other two will be if i win the lottery new years.

if you want a dog/puppy please think carefully about it and contact one of the non-profit organisations in Cork who look after animals on a voluntary basis, such as

www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie

http://www.irishanimals.ie/corkkerry_homes.html

http://www.westcorkanimals.com/

http://www.animalcaresociety.ie/

Advertisement