Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locate : Darwin Hall, Rathfarnham

Options
  • 28-12-2009 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭

I'd appreciate any help with this.

An elderly relative of mine, from the country, worked during WWII, in a house in Rathfarnham called Darwin Hall.
    At the time, Darwin Hall, was owned by the Kinlen family.

If anyone knows the location of Darwin Hall in Rathfarnham - I would appreciate it if you could let me know where it is.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Nothing for Darwin Hall or Kinlen on the 1911 census.

http://www.dublin.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28 the lads and lassies over there should be able to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Something here that you might be interested in, doesn't give the location though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=%22darwen+house%22+rathfarnham

Looks like it was (is?) at 200 Rathfarnham Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I did a search on http://www.irishnewsarchive.com and it threw up some things. Unfortunately I don't have a paid sub, and it costs about €10 per day but save the pdfs if you sign up. It gives snippets if you are using the free search.

Yes it's 200 Rathfarnham Road but I believe the house was sold in 1970 and knocked. I think one of the searches for Darwen house in the Archive above may have a picture of it. I live up the road and i've never seen it. The sales ad said it was attached to Rathfarnham castle and I think it may have been where the vintners are today (castleside drive)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Thanks to each of you for taking the time to reply to my post.

Yeah, I have some old Thoms directories dating back to 1982 : and there is no reference to Darwin Hall or Darwen House at Rathfarnham.
    This would appear to tie in with the idea that Darwin House/Hall may well have been demolished in the 1970's.

Thanks again for the research.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

DubMedic wrote: »
    Something here that you might be interested in, doesn't give the location though.
    lol small world but that painting is of my great grandad! We have a painting of him in our house too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

lol small world but that painting is of my great grandad! We have a painting of him in our house too!
    Small world indeed :).

• Registered Users Posts: 24 comfysofa

hinault wrote: »
    I'd appreciate any help with this.

An elderly relative of mine, from the country, worked during WWII, in a house in Rathfarnham called Darwin Hall.
    At the time, Darwin Hall, was owned by the Kinlen family.

If anyone knows the location of Darwin Hall in Rathfarnham - I would appreciate it if you could let me know where it is.

Thanks

Sorry for dragging up an old post...

My mother actually grew up in Darwin House (it was called "Darwin Hall" prior to my mother's family moving in, she thinks). It was built by the architect Kinlen, whose family lived there until sold it to my grandfather in about 1957/1958. Mr. Kinlen had previously lived in Australia and the house was based on a classic Australian design of redbrick with a veranda all around (hence the name 'Darwin'). Following my grandfather's death it was sold and subsequently rented to An Post who used it as offices. It was later sold to a hotelier who was refused permission to redevelop it, and then sold on to a builder who demolished it and built an estate on its grounds and an adjoining field that had served as the orchard attached to the garden (on Crannagh Road). Address was 200 Rathfarnham Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Advertisement