Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eastern Bypass Fosters Avenue

Options
  • 28-12-2009 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I have heard from local residence that lands to the left of St. Helens Radisson at the bottom of Fosters Avenue, the lands of UCD, Merville (left of Fosters avenue), the field to the right of the Roebuck Hill apartments on roebuck road and land in knockrabo have all been CPOd by the government to make way for the proposed Eastern Bypass. How true is this?

As a local resident, I am concerned as to how the bypass will cross roebuck road. Will it fly over it or go under it or what?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Dunno, but a quick google will give you this:
    http://www.nra.ie/Publications/DownloadableDocumentation/PublicPrivatePartnership/file,16122,en.pdf

Probably a state secret though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

In my naivety I thought that the Eastern Bypass had been thrown out years ago! Although given John Gormley's 'success' in preventing the incinerator in his own backyard I'm not surprised that this nonsense is back on the agenda. An Taisce have managed to destroy the bird sanctuary at Booterstown in the period since the original Eastern Bypass proposal bit the dust so that will no longer be an obstacle and sure who cares about Sandymount Strand anymore.:rolleyes:

Jesus - after looking at the viaduct option across the strand in the report mentioned in the previous post.......I despair for Dublin, I really do!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,526 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Eastern Bypass was only "thrown out" in the Green's renegotiated programme for government; which means that its not going to get funded (but still likely quietly worked on) until the govt. falls.

Which realistically means no delay at all - it wasn't going to get funded this side of the next election anyway!

Also that land has been reserved against development for years for a road corridor so it might be that rather than "CPOed" they're thinking of? Just means nobody'll get planning permission for anything on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

And yet some people did.
    Houses in the Holywell estate come too close to the drummartin link road, which formed part of the line for a possible DEBP. You can see the newer houses in the aerial photography, distinguished by different colour rooves compared to the rest of the estate, which was all a healthy distance, allowing room for dual carriageway.
    Now because of the space restrictions imposed by these newer houses, the only solution would be 2 deck cut and cover - a hell of alot more expensife than having both carriageways above ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Given the declining value of property it would be cheaper to demolish these houses.

ardmacha wrote: »
    Given the declining value of property it would be cheaper to demolish these houses.

Given the declining world oil reserves it would be cheaper not to proceed with yet more destructive 1950s road building plans. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

Given the declining world oil reserves it would be cheaper not to proceed with yet more destructive 1950s road building plans. :mad:

Electric cars run more efficiently at a constant speed, so motorways, and bypasses like this are still better in the long run.
    Maybe we should start a thread here about peak oil and the effect of it on infrastructure decisions...

Larryone - I suggest that a properly developed, rail based, public transport system including the carriage of freight would be a more sensible approach than more road building. In my opinion the 'great' days of private motoring - whatever fuel is used - are behind us. Continuing to copy the American experiment of internal air travel and unrestricted use of the private car is no model for developing a sustainable country in a world of ever diminshing resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

TJJP wrote: »
    Dunno, but a quick google will give you this:
    http://www.nra.ie/Publications/DownloadableDocumentation/PublicPrivatePartnership/file,16122,en.pdf

Probably a state secret though.
    A picture speaks a thousand words...

attachment.php?attachmentid=100104&d=1262019583

attachment.php?attachmentid=100105&d=1262019597

attachment.php?attachmentid=100106&d=1262019616

attachment.php?attachmentid=100107&d=1262019629

attachment.php?attachmentid=100108&d=1262019645

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

More...

attachment.php?attachmentid=100109&d=1262019902

attachment.php?attachmentid=100110&d=1262019936

attachment.php?attachmentid=100112&d=1262019945

attachment.php?attachmentid=100113&d=1262019955

attachment.php?attachmentid=100114&d=1262019965

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I would not like to see a viaduct over Dublin bay, no ****ing way and language qualified.

Seriously, underground, overground and pretty much all of its orginal route selection is fine. Dublin bay is too beautiful to have this viaduct plan. A viaduct near the city is fine, but not near Sandymount. The adverse effect it would have on the ecology, wildlife and environment would be distrastrous. Anyone who wants a viaduct over a tunnel has lost the plot and really has no idea what Sandymount strand is like.

Has a coastal city ever attempted a full ring motorway before, anywhere else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

MYOB wrote: »
    Has a coastal city ever attempted a full ring motorway before, anywhere else?

Sydney.

I seem to remember some years back that an expert employed by the 'City Fathers' proposed building a new bird sanctuary to replace Booterstown Marsh when the road was driven exactly through the middle of it! You know boil a kettle of water and add to a packet of bird seed and presto a new sanctuary...Lol! I think the viaduct would be a very tasteful addition to the Dublin skyline but it might be a bit inaccessible for grafitti artists. :D

mysterious wrote: »
    Sydney.

Hrm, didn't think of that. A lot less sea in the way but it needed a fair few tunnels either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

2can wrote: »
    As a local resident, I am concerned as to how the bypass will cross roebuck road. Will it fly over it or go under it or what?
    This is the kind of question that would be resolved during design phase and oral hearings.

The Dun Laoghaire draft development plan for 2010-2016 includes the eastern bypass in its 6 year roads objective. It also suggests that the section between Booterstown seafront and Dundrum could be converted to a 'Bus rapid transit' route.

It might make more sense to build a 4km Luas spur from Dundrum Luas to Booterstown Dart via UCD and just plonk a huge number of apartments along the route to feed passenger demand. There's plenty of room for development in the green reservation for this road at Goatstown, Roebuck, UCD & St Helens. That would densify the southern suburbs, join the southside DART and the luas and connect UCD & Sandyford industrial estate to the DART network.

The NRA's justification for the eastern bypass is ludicrous: the primary benefit is supposed to be reduced traffic on southside roads such as the Rock Road. In the same way that building the M50 led to a reduction in car traffic in West Dublin? It's really time to wind down the NRA. We'll have 1,000 km of motorway by next year I think that will do us for a while yet.

Advertisement