Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather Outlook

Options
  • 28-12-2009 1:59am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks, I was hoping someone could give me an indication as to how the outlook for weather will be early new year in the Roscommon area? Roughly.

I have to travel up but would prefer to do so when its not as snowed in or frosty as it is now. Will this cold snap ever end? :P

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

MTCs forecast

I don't anticipate any improvement and it may even snow in Roscommon mid weekish and this will remain on frozen ground throughout the new year period. And if it rains, conditions will be even worse because any rain at moment has been freezing on impact on ground creating an ice layer on the ground.

To add to that,I'd be travelling up today as opposed to tomorrow as there is a high likelyhood that you will meet heavy snow to complicate matters en route tomorrow as your route is obviously across the interior of the country..

Stick to the motorways also.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Not going this week, it would be either next week or the week after. I was told they expected more snow this week alright.

Sadly, no motorway for most of the journey ;\

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Sully wrote: »
    Not going this week, it would be either next week or the week after. I was told they expected more snow this week alright.

Sadly, no motorway for most of the journey ;\

it's most likely going to get less cold sometimes next week but with the ground being so cold over a prolonged period it will be tricky for a few days afterwards even in relatively milder weather. unless we get a total reversal of the current synoptic with very mild southerly winds sweeping up the country next week, bringing heavy rain and temperatures up towards 11- 12, i'd forget about going up by road next week. as mothman said in another thread you should think about taking the train.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Back again folks. This time, its not me going up but the good lady who is trying to make it down from Roscommon to Waterford for sometime now but is unable to do so due to 1) fear, 2) weather. Apparently they got a heavy fall of snow today.

Any idea as to the outlook for the weather the next few days? I think if the conditions are somewhat suitable, and if she drives slow and takes it extra easy, she should be okay. Suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Back again folks. This time, its not me going up but the good lady who is trying to make it down from Roscommon to Waterford for sometime now but is unable to do so due to 1) fear, 2) weather. Apparently they got a heavy fall of snow today.

Any idea as to the outlook for the weather the next few days? I think if the conditions are somewhat suitable, and if she drives slow and takes it extra easy, she should be okay. Suggestions?

The roads are meant to be pretty bad in roscommon today... see how it pans out tomorrow and check AA roadwatch ireland... it will tell you about the roads everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

From the reports i got from family in Roscommon, she might be better waiting until Thursday/Friday before travelling.

Tis bad again today, but looking now for more a general weather outlook for this area - will it drift away (the snow and ice) towards the end of the week or will the cold spell last longer for them? She said the forecasts given for them have not been that accurate so far from RTE/TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Tis bad again today, but looking now for more a general weather outlook for this area - will it drift away (the snow and ice) towards the end of the week or will the cold spell last longer for them? She said the forecasts given for them have not been that accurate so far from RTE/TV3.

They are more than likely to be very accurate about the much warmer weather coming for this weekend. Roscommon's roads should be grand by then, just plenty of the usual rain.

Advertisement