Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who cares if overpricing pubs with silly door policies go bust?

• 28-12-2009 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Last night (Stephens night) after finishing work tried to go into Laurels in Clondalkin, we were met by 3 bouncers at the door and were refused entry at 9pm because we were told it was ticket only, said fair enough plenty of other places, no problem so went across the road to Quinlans and told they were closed, they clearly werent. No problem we said and went across to the Village inn, where we got in alright but had to pay a fiver to get into the kip but did just to get out of the rain at that stage.

The amount of publicans in the press complaining about the pub trade dying makes me laugh, having to pay in to pay rip off prices for crap pints thown at us? You cant put it all down to drink driving laws and smoking bans, maybe you are a bunch of robbing c*nts who have taken us for granted for far too long.

Pub trade? Do you care about these people? 303 votes

Pubs going bust, so what robbing c@nts
    0% 0 votes
    I love pubs riding me
    100% 303 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yeah, you tell 'em!....... After paying in of course! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

They are trying to rake it in while a lot of folk are off.
    They know come january 6th onwards their businesses like every year is gonna take a wallop in the till.
    Happens every year till at least St Patrick's day onwards.
    Come January 2010 though, I have a sneaking suspicion we might start to see a lot more pubs go under and close up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

few weeks ago I was refused entry to a pub for wearing baggy jeans, not mad mosher style, just loose baggy jeans from Burtons. (the manager was at the door having a smoke)

couple of days later it was my mates 21'st so he started his night off in this pub, he was there with about 15 of our friends which took up most of the bar. The manager was behind the bar and i walked up.

"thanks for letting me in tonight... Am i dressed to the requirments of your dive celler?"

"Haha, yes i think so, would you like a drink?"

"Hmm, nah your grand, im only poping in to talk to a mate"

I turn to my mate whos birthday it was, in front of the manager.

"Osheas across the road are doing €3 a pint tonight."

"WHAT!!!??? LADS WERE OUTTA HERE! SUP UP, LETS GO!!"

I ask the barman for a glass of water while i wait for everyone to get ready. The manager is pretending he doesnt care, but you know he wants to hit me.

"see ya next week ;)"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

redorblack wrote: »
    No problem we said and went across to the Village inn, where we got in alright but had to pay a fiver to get into the kip but did just to get out of the rain at that stage.
    Night club licence? If not, then paying a fiver in is a joke. If so, then yeah, the best place in Limerick has that, too. Better than the 15 euros other places I know of charge. I just find it best to get there before 11 when possible and its free in.

And, honestly, I think the smoking ban compounded by people being more broke is resulting in less people going out, and getting more drink from the offo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I didn't know it was raining last night :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    few weeks ago I was refused entry to a pub for wearing baggy jeans, not mad mosher style, just loose baggy jeans from Burtons. (the manager was at the door having a smoke)

couple of days later it was my mates 21'st so he started his night off in this pub, he was there with about 15 of our friends which took up most of the bar. The manager was behind the bar and i walked up.

"thanks for letting me in tonight... Am i dressed to the requirments of your dive celler?"

I ask the barman for a glass of water while i wait for everyone to get ready. The manager is pretending he doesnt care, but you know he wants to hit me.

"see ya next week ;)"

Evil bastard!! You are a genius!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I am well known for my evilness.

*evil laugh!!!!*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Last night (Stephens night) after finishing work tried to go into Laurels in Clondalkin, we were met by 3 bouncers at the door and were refused entry at 9pm because we were told it was ticket only.

I know that pub very well. That means they didn't want you in there. Standard procedure on all busy nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I love some pubs but really just the ones where pints are cheap and staff friendly.I tried to go into the lep inn last night and it was over 21s.That was pretty annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

I swallowed a teabag once.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

It's ridiculous alright. I've stopped going to expensive pubs altogether. In fact, I've pretty much stopped going to pubs full stop. Unless you are single and on the pull, it's just not worth it.

A night in my place with a few friends and a couple of decent bottles of wine is more fun, as well as a lot cheaper.

If pubs want my business back, they need to reduce their prices, improve their customer service (they are not doing me a favour by serving me), and in general make a bit more of an effort, such as removing the people from the toilets who charge you to wash your hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

craggles wrote: »
    I swallowed a teabag once.

Do you mean that literally or is it sexual innuendo?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I've stopped going to the pub as well. The price just isn't worth it. A trip down the local will cost 30 euro but sitting at home or in a friend's house drinking the same amount will cost less than 10 euro.

A Saturday night out in Dublin usually costs at least 60 euro. It should be half this price.

People should be charged 3euro for drinks every night.
    Anything more is a rip-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    I've stopped going to the pub as well. The price just isn't worth it. A trip down the local will cost 30 euro but sitting at home or in a friend's house drinking the same amount will cost less than 10 euro.

A Saturday night out in Dublin usually costs at least 60 euro. It should be half this price.

I spent a couple of weeks in Barcelona. Dinner for two would be around €25, and then you'd be able to get drunk for another €10 each.

All of this would be happening in bars where they are delighted to have you as a customer, and would even offer you free drinks and tapas just for being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

Last night we went to a pub/club in lucan that we have been to for the last 6 saturdays and we got refused at the 1st attempt in the pissing rain, bouncer said it was full, on the 2nd attempt he let us in....i got kicked out and barred at 2am for drunken disorderly, musta been my revenge on them for refusing us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Darksaga87 wrote: »

"see ya next week ;)"

Untrue stories are untrue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

GaNjaHaN wrote: »

60??? Has it went down since I left? Night out was usually a min of 90 when I was home - tenner admission, taxi add another 10 if with mates, 12 plus drinks at a minimum of a fiver a drink, 12 euro worth of offy beer before going out. Here in Sydney you can have a good Sat night out for around 50 euro, and the Aussies moan that even this is expensive :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

poisonated wrote: »
    I love some pubs but really just the ones where pints are cheap and staff friendly.I tried to go into the lep inn last night and it was over 21s.That was pretty annoying!

Salmon Leap Inn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

consultech wrote: »

Oh you were with him, yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

He's probably the manager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Unfortunately not... I was too busy havin a threesome with Megan Fox and Heidi Klum in my jumbo jet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

consultech wrote: »
    Unfortunately not... I was too busy havin a threesome with Megan Fox and Heidi Klum in my jumbo jet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

now now girls settle down.

twas a good story, true or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Last night (Stephens night) after finishing work tried to go into Laurels in Clondalkin, we were met by 3 bouncers at the door and were refused entry at 9pm because we were told it was ticket only, said fair enough plenty of other places, no problem so went across the road to Quinlans and told they were closed, they clearly werent. No problem we said and went across to the Village inn, where we got in alright but had to pay a fiver to get into the kip but did just to get out of the rain at that stage.

The amount of publicans in the press complaining about the pub trade dying makes me laugh, having to pay in to pay rip off prices for crap pints thown at us? You cant put it all down to drink driving laws and smoking bans, maybe you are a bunch of robbing c*nts who have taken us for granted for far too long.

You are obviously a gypsy and an unsavoury type that these fine establishments didnt want to serve.

You should be proud of who you are and just settle with your spot under the Baggott Bridge.

Being honest but anyone who pays to get into a pub is a tit. As long as people are happy to continue paying extortionate prices for pints and entry to pubs/clubs things will continue exactly as they are. In my home town one pub charges 5 euro in as they generally have live music, I have never once paid to get in, on a number of occasions I've just asked the bouncer can I head on in as otherwise I'll be taking my business and my friends elsewhere. Same for any pub which raises the prices after 12 and doesn't have it posted for all to see. Paying 5 euro for a pint is a joke when for 15 euro you can get a dvd, good food and enough beer to do you for the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

for 15 euro you can get a dvd, good food and enough beer to do you for the night.

Ahhh finkbrau,how Ive missed thee.

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Ahhh finkbrau,how Ive missed thee.

I'm talking proper ale my boy, picked up some very nice Old Speckled Hen for something like 1.50 a bottle up North awhile back. Seeing off licenses down here charging 3.50 a bottle shows just how badly were being ripped off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I charge $5 a night to enter the two clubs I run.

Its nothing. Works out at about E2.5.
    The reason is, people come to dance. Not to drink. You might think we're making loads of money every night. But we don't
    The $5 charge is paying for the privilege to dance in my club. If you can't afford it, then there is a high chance you won't buy a drink. Then you are taking up space for valued customers that want to spend.
    Now saying that, loads of regulars (at least 50) will get in for free on the night. These are people who we recognise and spend money. They will never pay entry fee.
    The rest. Pay up, or don't come in.
    Wed-Fri is free entry to both clubs. Only Saturday has a charge.

Staff costs, security, stock, a large office team to support, rent, over heads, promo, advertising.... This isn't as free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

taken us for granted for far too long.

pretty much my centimet on the whole of the publican bollockology.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

AARRRGH wrote: »
    It's ridiculous alright. I've stopped going to expensive pubs altogether. In fact, I've pretty much stopped going to pubs full stop. Unless you are single and on the pull, it's just not worth it.

A night in my place with a few friends and a couple of decent bottles of wine is more fun, as well as a lot cheaper.

If pubs want my business back, they need to reduce their prices, improve their customer service (they are not doing me a favour by serving me), and in general make a bit more of an effort, such as removing the people from the toilets who charge you to wash your hands.

If you are stupid enough to pay the guy in the toilets a tip for a paper towel, then you deserve everything... that is not a charge, it is based on tips.
    Being honest but anyone who pays to get into a pub is a tit. As long as people are happy to continue paying extortionate prices for pints and entry to pubs/clubs things will continue exactly as they are. In my home town one pub charges 5 euro in as they generally have live music, I have never once paid to get in, on a number of occasions I've just asked the bouncer can I head on in as otherwise I'll be taking my business and my friends elsewhere. Same for any pub which raises the prices after 12 and doesn't have it posted for all to see. Paying 5 euro for a pint is a joke when for 15 euro you can get a dvd, good food and enough beer to do you for the night.

WTF? You cannot make a comparison like that, it simply doesn't make sence.
    Rabies wrote: »
    I charge $5 a night to enter the two clubs I run.

Its nothing. Works out at about E2.5.
    The reason is, people come to dance. Not to drink. You might think we're making loads of money every night. But we don't
    The $5 charge is paying for the privilege to dance in my club. If you can't afford it, then there is a high chance you won't buy a drink. Then you are taking up space for valued customers that want to spend.
    Now saying that, loads of regulars (at least 50) will get in for free on the night. These are people who we recognise and spend money. They will never pay entry fee.
    The rest. Pay up, or don't come in.
    Wed-Fri is free entry to both clubs. Only Saturday has a charge.

Staff costs, security, stock, a large office team to support, rent, over heads, promo, advertising.... This isn't as free!

Where are these clubs that you are running?

It's not the pubs in the cities that are effected by the recession, smoking ban or other. It's the country pub, they are fcuked, but most country pubs don't charge in, they serve a very nice pint and have good prices. It's shítholes like the Dandiloin on stephens green that make a balls of it all. 10 euro in, it's a ****ing pub ffs, and almost 7 euro a pint... One big problem is the pubs cashing in on nights like St Stephens night, new years eve etc etc, they know everyone will be out so they can charge what they like. Saturday night we went to a kip of a club, 15 euro in and about 5 quid a pint. If that's where the crowd goes, not too much you can do about it. Main club was either 20 or 25 euro entrance fee... Like... WTF? I go out very very rarely, mainly due to the crazy fcuking prices these cúnts charge... Let the bastards die a horrible death. Fúck them and their business.

Advertisement