Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who cares if overpricing pubs with silly door policies go bust?

Options

Comments

WTF? You cannot make a comparison like that, it simply doesn't make sence.

What part doesn't make sense, the fact that paying 5 euro (5 being an average price, with some places charging over 6) for a pint is a joke when 15 euro will buy you enough alcohol to enjoy a night in with food and a DVD.

I wasn't comparing the two experiences more pointing out the stupidity of paying such extortionate prices for alcohol when staying in is so much cheaper. People will tell you that you go to the pub for atmosphere and as such shouldn't mind paying that little bit extra, bollocks. The atmosphere in most pubs consists of piss poor music being played at deafening levels as you shout at one another to be heard.

The sad thing is that no matter how much we complain about it nothing is going to change as far too many people are happy to fork out a small fortune every week for the privilege to drink in these places. Last time I was out there was a lad at the bar crying about how the government are stealing from him by taking away his Christmas bonus and how they were attacking the poorest of the poor, yet there he was downing pint after pint and happily handing over nearly 5 euro each time for the privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I spent a couple of weeks in Barcelona. Dinner for two would be around €25, and then you'd be able to get drunk for another €10 each.

All of this would be happening in bars where they are delighted to have you as a customer, and would even offer you free drinks and tapas just for being there.

Yep, and the sad part is that the humble tapas on offer is often higher quality than some of the starters served up in pretentious places here that you you get the tits charged off you for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

What part doesn't make sense, the fact that paying 5 euro (5 being an average price, with some places charging over 6) for a pint is a joke when 15 euro will buy you enough alcohol to enjoy a night in with food and a DVD.

I wasn't comparing the two experiences more pointing out the stupidity of paying such extortionate prices for alcohol when staying in is so much cheaper. People will tell you that you go to the pub for atmosphere and as such shouldn't mind paying that little bit extra, bollocks. The atmosphere in most pubs consists of piss poor music being played at deafening levels as you shout at one another to be heard.

The sad thing is that no matter how much we complain about it nothing is going to change as far too many people are happy to fork out a small fortune every week for the privilege to drink in these places. Last time I was out there was a lad at the bar crying about how the government are stealing from him by taking away his Christmas bonus and how they were attacking the poorest of the poor, yet there he was downing pint after pint and happily handing over nearly 5 euro each time for the privilege.

You cannot compare a night in with 6 dutch gold and a dvd with 2 or 3 of your mates with night out clubbing... It simply cannot be done. The only common ground is the alcohol.

€15 will not buy you drink, a dvd and food... not even if you are drinking the worst, cheapest piss on the planet... It is quite easy to go out and spend very very little. Depending on your location and all that... I have often gone out and spent as little as €15 and had a great night... the night can be as expensive as you make it... Spent 60 quid last saturday, 30 of that was to get into the nightclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Where are these clubs that you are running?

NZ.

At one end of the city people are allowed in free or for $5-$10.
    At then other end its either free or up to $40-$50 depending on what is on inside.

But.... what is different here to Ireland is that you don't pay to enter a pub after 10pm. but if said pub turns in to a "disco bar" and puts on a special night, then expect to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Rabies wrote: »
    NZ.

At one end of the city people are allowed in free or for $5-$10.
    At then other end its either free or up to $40-$50 depending on what is on inside.

But.... what is different here to Ireland is that you don't pay to enter a pub after 10pm. but if said pub turns in to a "disco bar" and puts on a special night, then expect to pay.

Can't really compare two countries when it comes to anything really...

I wouldn't mind paying into a place like Time in Naas, because that's actually a club. However, it's not somewhere I would drink a lot due to the high prices.

• Advertisement

You cannot compare a night in with 6 dutch gold and a dvd with 2 or 3 of your mates with night out clubbing... It simply cannot be done. The only common ground is the alcohol.

€15 will not buy you drink, a dvd and food... not even if you are drinking the worst, cheapest piss on the planet... It is quite easy to go out and spend very very little. Depending on your location and all that... I have often gone out and spent as little as €15 and had a great night... the night can be as expensive as you make it... Spent 60 quid last saturday, 30 of that was to get into the nightclub.

Were not talking about a night out clubbing, were discussing going to a pub. There is a huge difference.

15 euro will certainly buy you a dvd, food and a few bottles of decent beer. Were not talking about drinking cheap crap either, you can pick up a bottle of Old Speckled Hen for 1.48 up North which is what I drink most nights. The only pubs which serve it down here that I've been in charged 5.45 and 5.75 per bottle.

You can certainly go out and spend as little as 15 euro but you won't be buying much alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Knowing my fellow Irishmen, I know what I'm about to suggest would be futile, but how about a well organized well planned out 3 day boycott of these ripp off establishments.

Something along the lines of the xfactor campaign in the uk. Get the support of boards and we'll surely achieve some media coverage.

Promote drinking at home and having friends over instead of going to the pub.

Then again, you're all fecking alco's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭GLUEY

Did the publicans pass on the 12 cent reduction in alcohol from the budget?

GLUEY wrote: »

Not in my ****in town

Smyth wrote: »
    Not in my ****in town

Like a 12 cent decrease will have any effect. 12 is a joke tbh and were publicans serious about getting people back into pubs a 2 euro decrease would be in order.

• Advertisement

Like a 12 cent decrease will have any effect. 12 is a joke tbh and were publicans serious about getting people back into pubs a 2 euro decrease would be in order.

true that.

I have a feeling if it was the other way around (a 12c increase), there'd be a lot of threads on here blubbing about how unfair it is. Suffice to say, 12c aint a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭GLUEY

Still that means they're making an extra 12 cent profit per pint which adds up. I think Lenihan said he'd reverse it if they didn't pass it on though.

But yeah somebody start a Facebook campaign there. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Not in a number of places I've been to locally.
    Not that I expected them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

The 12c decrease only comes into effect on new stock bought in since the budget was activated. Its possible that not all of the pubs' old stock has been sold out so wouldn't be offering the reduced prices yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

for 15 euro you can get a dvd, good food and enough beer to do you for the night.

Or for €15 you could get 24 bottles of Stella Artois (5% too) from tesco, and just download the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

dolliemix wrote: »
    I didn't know it was raining last night :eek:

Your right, it didn't rain in Dublin that night.

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    f
    I turn to my mate whos birthday it was, in front of the manager.

"Osheas across the road are doing €3 a pint tonight."

"WHAT!!!??? LADS WERE OUTTA HERE! SUP UP, LETS GO!!"

I ask the barman for a glass of water while i wait for everyone to get ready. The manager is pretending he doesnt care, but you know he wants to hit me.

"see ya next week ;)"

Sorry to burst your bubble, but most likely he really didn't care.

He's on a salary, doesn't matter a damn to him if you take the whole pub with you he'll still get paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Your right, it didn't rain in Dublin that night.
    It did in Malahide.

Were not talking about a night out clubbing, were discussing going to a pub. There is a huge difference.

15 euro will certainly buy you a dvd, food and a few bottles of decent beer. Were not talking about drinking cheap crap either, you can pick up a bottle of Old Speckled Hen for 1.48 up North which is what I drink most nights. The only pubs which serve it down here that I've been in charged 5.45 and 5.75 per bottle.

You can certainly go out and spend as little as 15 euro but you won't be buying much alcohol.

I'm not entirely disagreeing with you but when you say 'it's only £1.48 (€1.65 approx) for bottle of beer in NI', you have to factor in petrol etc to get there and back. And depending on where you live, it may not be an option at all. Then you're talking a fiver to rent a DVD and what? maybe a fiver for food? (€7 for a curry but we'll say 5 for arguments sake) that leaves you with a fiver for beers which (if you are saying petrol is free) is about 3 beers.

That said, you can get great deals on beer here, I wouldn't bother driving p north any more. 24 cans of Coors Light for €27 is good value. There plenty of other deals too. I would happily stay in for the night but it's nice to go to the pub sometime too. Super pubs can f*ck right off though with their €7 pints!

• Advertisement

Kiera wrote: »
    It did in Malahide.

What time?.

I was out in Malahide too.

I must have been lucky :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

What time?.

I was out in Malahide too.

I must have been lucky :p
    About 10-11 maybe. I was in a beer garden when it started so i'm 100% sure.

I'm not entirely disagreeing with you but when you say 'it's only £1.48 (€1.65 approx) for bottle of beer in NI', you have to factor in petrol etc to get there and back. And depending on where you live, it may not be an option at all. Then you're talking a fiver to rent a DVD and what? maybe a fiver for food? (€7 for a curry but we'll say 5 for arguments sake) that leaves you with a fiver for beers which (if you are saying petrol is free) is about 3 beers.

That said, you can get great deals on beer here, I wouldn't bother driving p north any more. 24 cans of Coors Light for €27 is good value. There plenty of other deals too. I would happily stay in for the night but it's nice to go to the pub sometime too. Super pubs can f*ck right off though with their €7 pints!

You'll find in many instances that it's cheaper to buy a DVD these days than to rent it. I was in Xtravision the last day and saw the film Stuck to rent as a new release for something like 5 euro, I had picked it up in HMV for 6 euro a few days earlier.

5 euro will easily get you the ingredients you need to make a proper dinner, nothign fancy mind but something tasty and filling. Buy a case of beer say the 24 cans of Coors and take 6 for the night, throw in a 4 euro DVD of which there are many and you have 15 euro spent for one nights entertainment.

I to enjoy heading to the pub for a pint every now and again but find myself doing it less and less. A few beers at home in the evening followed by 1 or 2 in the pub down the road, followed by another bottle at home and bed is an all round perfect night.

I wouldn't bother either.

I was talking to the manager of the Blacker' in Coolock a few weeks ago and mentioned about the fantastic deals on beer's he's doing there and he told me that because they're at the start of the M1 he just can't get people in to buy!.

Plus I'm one of these (probably) silly people who really believe's in keeping our money in the republic.

I wouldn't bother either.

I was talking to the manager of the Blacker' in Coolock a few weeks ago and mentioned about the fantastic deals on beer's he's doing there and he told me that because they're at the start of the M1 he just can't get people in to buy!.

Plus I'm one of these (probably) silly people who really believe's in keeping our money in the republic.

While you find the odd good deal down here, they pale in comparison tot eh prices up North. The example I used earlier for example, Old Speckled Hen 1.48 up North compared to 3.50 in some places down here. When you consider that most people going up North and doing full shops then the petrol really isn't that much of a factor.

It's hard to have sympathy for many of the off licenses down here complaining that their fantastic offers are being ignored. perhaps if they had always offered such good value for money but for too long they were happy to rip us off. I used to work in a shop, one of the bigger smaller chains who would raise the price of all drinks a few days before Paddy's day, Christmas, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Biggins wrote: »
    They are trying to rake it in while a lot of folk are off.
    They know come january 6th onwards their businesses like every year is gonna take a wallop in the till.
    Happens every year till at least St Patrick's day onwards.
    Come January 2010 though, I have a sneaking suspicion we might start to see a lot more pubs go under and close up.

Impossable, not with -0.5% off vat and 12cent off a pint.

You'll find in many instances that it's cheaper to buy a DVD these days than to rent it. I was in Xtravision the last day and saw the film Stuck to rent as a new release for something like 5 euro, I had picked it up in HMV for 6 euro a few days earlier.

5 euro will easily get you the ingredients you need to make a proper dinner, nothign fancy mind but something tasty and filling. Buy a case of beer say the 24 cans of Coors and take 6 for the night, throw in a 4 euro DVD of which there are many and you have 15 euro spent for one nights entertainment.

As I said, I wasn't entirely disagreeing with you. And yeh, you're right about buying DVD's, they had plenty in HMV the other day for < €6. It's just the traveling up north bit, It doesn't just cost the price of your bottle of beer. Other things have to be factored in. And sorry, I was assuming you were talking about take away but yep if you're cooking then you can obviously do it cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭ronano

I really want a night in with dvd,drink and food

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sorry to burst your bubble, but most likely he really didn't care.
    He's on a salary, doesn't matter a damn to him if you take the whole pub with you he'll still get paid.

He should care though.
    If the money is not in the till, sooner or later it won't be in his pocket in wages.

A lot of the pubs in the new year will be begging for business.
    The attitude of the doormen will suddenly change in some places then I suspect!

• Advertisement

As I said, I wasn't entirely disagreeing with you. And yeh, you're right about buying DVD's, they had plenty in HMV the other day for < €6. It's just the traveling up north bit, It doesn't just cost the price of your bottle of beer. Other things have to be factored in. And sorry, I was assuming you were talking about take away but yep if you're cooking then you can obviously do it cheaper.

I assume that like myself anyone who goes up North does so to do a proper shop and not just alcohol. I know that I can get a months worth of food for what two weeks would cost down here and to a student that certainly is a God send. When you add in the cost of petrol you're still saving yourself quite a bit.

Advertisement