Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I The Only One?

Options
  • 28-12-2009 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi,

Am I the only one in the country even the world that cant wait for Christmas to end so that I don't have to suffer "The Fairytale Of New York"? It truly has to be the most depressing and dreadful Christmas song of all time. And its called a classic.......
    Classic what?

Oh, and a Happy New Year to all.......

Bah Humbug.

The Fairytale of New York really, really sucks! 9 votes

Yes, it sucks so bad!
    0% 0 votes
    No, its a timeless classic
    100% 9 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Yes. Totally unique you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

I would prefer that song than having to listen to ****in Wham or Cliff Richard!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Pandybelly

Not disputing the Cliff or Wham comments.
    But what makes that Fairytale crap so good, allegedly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

I think what makes it so "good" is cos its the best of a bad bunch!

But its so depressing. I thought that Christmas was about good cheer etc etc.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

Yeah it's just you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Pandybelly wrote: »
    Hi,

Am I the only one in the country even the world that cant wait for Christmas to end so that I don't have to suffer "The Fairytale Of New York"?

At this stage, it's almost as bad as listening to people who complain about having to suffer listening to "The Fairytale Of New York" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

No you not I dislike it as well, in fact I think all popular Christmas songs are rubbish. I have a few less well know ones that I like and keep on my iPod so I don't go stark raving mad listening to the radio or the music channels this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Rockn wrote: »
    Yeah it's just you.

No it's not.

Over rated trash IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Pandybelly wrote: »
    But its so depressing. I thought that Christmas was about good cheer etc etc.?

so... you not irish i see. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

It's a great song. I like it because it's not your typical tacky Christmas song. It's a song you can listen to any time of the year and appreciate it.

The reason people get sick of it is because it's overplayed at this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

K4t wrote: »
    It's a great song. I like it because it's not your typical tacky Christmas song. It's a song you can listen to any time of the year and appreciate it.

The reason people get sick of it is because it's overplayed at this time of the year.

not to mention shane is a great songwriter...

but musical talent is irrelevant these days... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Des Claypool

hate shane, hate the song, not sick of it, never liked it! christmas songs are rubbish but there ment to be so i can deal with em but i'm not into any trad and did i mention i'm not a fan of that pisshead?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Best Christmas song of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Yes. Totally unique you are.
    Like a musical snowflake.

I think it's one of my favourites. The happy, brainless, cheesy Christmas songs are the ones that make beating my head off a brick wall appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I've only ever met one person in my entire life that didn't like Fairytale of New York. I think it's a genius of a song.

There's loads and loads of great Christmas songs..

Dean Martin - Let it Snow...
    Bing Crosby - White Christmas
    Chris Rea - Driving Home..
    Slade - Merry Chritmas Everybody
    John Lennon - Happy Christmas (War is Over)
    Andy Williams - The Most Wonderful Time of The Year
    Bowie & Bing - Peace on Earth
    Crosby & Sinatra - Wish You The Merriest..

There's also The Snowman, The Wham song, Rockin Around the Christmas Tree, Jingle Bells, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Santa Baby, Silent Night, Winter Wonderland, and loads more. Don't understand it when people say there's no good Christmas songs. Some people will complain about anything I guess.

There are loads of great Christmas songs, but that Fairytale crap is just that, crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

No, it's not just you...I absolutely HATE this song...I fall over myself trying to reach for the off button on the radio anytime it comes on...same reaction that I have when I hear "The Fields of Athenry"...totally depressing rubbish,
    Yours Sincerely,
    Scrooge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bodysmart

While I think it's a very well-written song, I can't stand it!

Perhaps it's also the fact that it's almost universally regarded as "the best Christmas song EVER" puts me off it too.

Thank God, I am not alone. ............

• Advertisement
Advertisement