Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unicef Confirms 0% Child Malnutrition in Cuba

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭aurelius79

Soo, back to the original point (which, incidentally, is not my dictator is better than yours):

Unicef Confirms 0% Child Malnutrition in Cuba

Has this actually been confirmed?

Why don't you have a look yourself? It's not too hard to Google "UNICEF Cuba".

Took me 30 seconds to find http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/cuba_statistics.html#53

Serious breaches. I'm talking about things like institutionalized torture. The only torture in Cuba I've heard of recently is committed in Guantanamo.

Any data to back this up? Cuba is one of the most socially developed countries in Latin America as stated by many international agencies like the WHO, UNICEF, etc. I guess all their data is just as preposterous right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

aurelius79 wrote: »
    Why don't you have a look yourself?

Because I was obviously (do I really need to point this out?) attempting to pull the thread back on topic, Prof.Aurelius. I have been finding the childish posting style in this thread to be somewhat boring and repetitive.

Because I was obviously (do I really need to point this out?) attempting to pull the thread back on topic, Prof.Aurelius. I have been finding the childish posting style in this thread to be somewhat boring and repetitive.

Oh really?
    This thread is ****ing terrible.

I know it's difficult to refrain from being so obviously hypocritical, but I believe in you.
    You can do it!

Edit: If you don't like the content of the thread, feel free to post elsewhere. You're not really contributing to the discussion anyway.

• Advertisement

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

sold wrote: »

As donegalfella has already pointed out, the figures and statistics used in such analyses are taken from the Cuban government's own official reports, so to claim, as is often done, that Cuba "has better infant and adult mortality rates than the US" is purposefully disingenuous.

Do you have any real evidence that Cuban healthcare is better?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

The prognosis for this thread is poor. If it doesn't improve soon it will be closed.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Oh really?

I know it's difficult to refrain from being so obviously hypocritical, but I believe in you.
    You can do it!

Edit: If you don't like the content of the thread, feel free to post elsewhere. You're not really contributing to the discussion anyway.

I found the thread to be terrible and I attempted to pull it back on course. Perhaps I am just swimming against a torrent.

aurelius79, to claim that there is "no real evidence of any serious breaches of human rights" in Cuba is absurd. You'd do well do educate yourself on Cuban history -- even to a Wikipedia level. Incidentally, that sub-section of the article seems to include reasonable referencing.

• Advertisement

Soldie wrote: »
    aurelius79, to claim that there is "no real evidence of any serious breaches of human rights" in Cuba is absurd. You'd do well do educate yourself on Cuban history -- even to a Wikipedia level. Incidentally, that sub-section of the article seems to include reasonable referencing.

I'm not saying there were no breaches of human rights. I'm sure there were abuses like in most other countries. I'm saying the data available is so varied that none of it can be accepted as fact. Opposition to Castro's regime will obviously embellish the numbers to make the situation appear worse than it is. Of course, supporters of the regime will do the same.

My point is, we sit here in our consumerist democracy pointing fingers at Castro, while letting C.I.A. rendition flights pass through Shannon airport. How hypocritical can you get? Why is there no uproar about torture in Guantanamo and Iraq? Oh, maybe it's only wrong if it's the other side doing it?

I'm saying the data available is so varied that none of it can be accepted as fact.

That depends. Do explain.

Any source for this accusation of eugenics?

What, like the U.S.? Israel? Russia? Yeah, I'd say Cuba isn't doing to bad compared to other countries.

When that data can be confirmed by various international organizations, then yes.

You're right, you didn't use the term "eugenics". You said "because doctors use abortion to "weed out" the more vulnerable fetuses". What is that if not eugenics then?
    Can you provide any evidence from sources other than the American press? You may not be aware of the current conflict between Cuba and the U.S., but I'd say it's a good possibility that the U.S. is slightly biased when it comes to reporting what happens in Cuba.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I'd say it's a good possibility that the U.S. is slightly biased when it comes to reporting what happens in Cuba.

But of course the UN figures taken from the Cuban Government aren't biased at all.

Eugenics is the selective breeding of humans to produce a "stronger" population. It involves attempting to influence the breeding patterns of humans by either denying the right of the "less strong" to reproduce, or in the culling of these individuals entirely. Given our current technology, it would not be possible to detect these characteristics in a foetus. So to use the term Eugenics in relation to foetuses is simply based on ignorance.

I have no idea what a "vulnerable foetus" is, however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Does this mean unicef is working with the cubans to create propoganda?

But of course the UN figures taken from the Cuban Government aren't biased at all.

Any evidence that UN organizations take all their data from the Cuban government? That they don't have people in Cuba taking their own data? Personally, I think it's a bit silly to think the UN would just take Castro's word for it without actually investigating the claims themselves.

I think it's a bit silly to think the UN would just take Castro's word for it without actually investigating the claims themselves.

How exactly does one investigate claims in a country Reporters without Borders has ranked as the six worst in the world for freedom of the press?

And, seems as we like comparing Cuba to other Carribean states, the next nearest as far as I can gather is Dominican Republic - 72 places higher.

http://www.rsf.org/en-classement1003-2009.html

How exactly does one investigate claims in a country Reporters without Borders has ranked as the six worst in the world for freedom of the press?

And, seems as we like comparing Cuba to other Carribean states, the next nearest as far as I can gather is Dominican Republic - 72 places higher.

http://www.rsf.org/en-classement1003-2009.html

I'm not talking about the press. I'm talking about official UN investigators who travel to different countries to compile data. You think they don't go to Cuba?

or that they dont investigate as well as reporters?

APRD65.jpg

This is a thread on Unicef congratulating Cuba on the reduction of child malnurishment, not on cubas overall human rights record.

Cuba has been guilty of some of the most blatent and terrible human rights abuses in recent history, there is no denying this.

But i welcome this sign that things are getting better for some people there. Cuba still has a long way to go, but they cant start at the end.

The U.S. has a long history of human rights violations. Slavery, Japanese internment camps during WWII, The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, countless violations in Korea and Viet Nam, the Kent State massacre, using napalm (banned by the UN against civilians in 1980) in the Persian Gulf war, using DU in the current war and in Afghanistan, C.I.A. torture of suspected "terrorists", detention of citizens without charge, assassinations in developing countries, sponsoring dictators like Saddam Hussein, sponsoring the murder of civilians by Israel, shall I go on? The list is endless really.

• Advertisement

You think they don't go to Cuba?
    folan wrote: »
    or that they dont investigate as well as reporters?

What I'm saying is that the UN, like reporters, would not have the freedom to investigate in Cuba and thus all statistics are derived from either the Government or the puppet show the government puts on whenever UN investigators pay a visit.

What both of you appear to be insinuating is that the UN is allowed access to free and impartial information, and allowed investigate themselves without any Government intervention, despite the fact that Cuba is 6th worst in terms of Press Freedom worldwide. This is ridiculous.

Advertisement