Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Snow Chains in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    This isn't Lithuania - this is culchie territory and begod it gets up to your ankles in some places. :)
    Anyway, chains aren't illegal - whatever gave you that idea? What is illegal is damaging the road surface but that's a matter of common sense and easily addressed by taking them off.

sorry, but its rate funny. chains... in ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,532 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

sorry, but its rate funny. chains... in ireland...
    Really, you should get out more and see some of the places that are snowed in. You'd be surprised and if you were stuck there you'd be wishing you had some chains on your tyres.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Really, you should get out more and see some of the places that are snowed in. You'd be surprised and if you were stuck there you'd be wishing you had some chains on your tyres.

hmmm dont whgant to repeat myself, but i drove in -25/-30 and did not used any chains. ice covered in snow etc...

and snow is not the worst thing you can encounter, ice is your enemy, chains are usless in ice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

hmmm dont whgant to repeat myself, but i drove in -25/-30 and did not used any chains. ice covered in snow etc...

and snow is not the worst thing you can encounter, ice is your enemy, chains are usless in ice...

Let me be really clear here so I won't HAVE to repeat myself. You're showing your ignorance here, and a good measure of arrogance too. In many, many parts of this country at the moment there are folks stuck up country lanes and backroads who are unable to get anywhere near an urban centre for food shopping, medicines etc., many simply for want of a set of snowchains. Ice doesn't even come into it for a lot of them - It's all about the tyres on the car and the packed snow on the road. Without winter tyres or chains, they're going nowhere, and neither would you in the same place with the same car/tyres....

Lithuanian winter driving experience or not, your experience right now counts for nothing. Lithuanian laws require that from November 1st through April 1st you use either Winter or All-Season rated tyres, which is NOT the case here in Ireland. Many cars here come with Summer tyres, usually more than adequate for the road conditions we experience, but not enough to 'bite' on a snow covered incline....

So, anything else to add other than yet another sneering and impotent jibe there boyo? And before you start to type, I've spent a great deal of time driving through Finland and Norway in the middle of winter, so I know all about -25 and -30C, driving on packed snow and ice, studded and friction tyres etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

snow socks might be easier option

the swedish approach to managing driving conditions in snow is interesting

you have to fit winter tires by dec 1 latest and earlier if condition dictate it, if you have trailer sames tyres on them. foreign tourists dont have to comply

because of this last point some steep hills are actually heated as there were too many foreign trucks/cars driving without correct tyres for the conditions getting stuck/crashing etc

the road authorities also send out road maps outlining which roads get ploughed, how often it happens and at what depth of snow it starts. they also show which roads get salted and at what frquency

oh they also warn that roads wont be salted if temp goes below -6

no need to convene a special emergency commitee just happens when conditions dictate it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Jesus Christ

I love the people here complaining about the damage the chains will create. Do any of ye leave the house or the city? The rural roads are destroyed already, snow chains won't make a damned bit of difference at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bill G

You summed it up in your last post MORE severe. What we are getting compared to those countries is laughable its merely a frost and a bit of ice. My relatives live in Montreal they can get temps of -30c and 6 FEET of snow overnight over there its common sense to put on winter tyres they don't put on chains.

To the OP and any one else supporting there use in Ireland buy the chains and tell us what its like to try put them on and drive on them under normal road conditions for most of your journey and what its like for the little bit of the trip on ice. Have a look in your car manual max speed for cars with chains is between 30-50km/h or they fail and imagine the damage a loose chain will do.

Ha ha, 6 FEET of snow overnight, yeah right! The 24 hour record in Montreal is 43 cms, that's 1.5 feet. Why don't you make up some more porkies. You are worse than the dublin radio stations, who were reporting 8 inches of snow in Tallaght on Wednesday (that's 20 cms!!!). Met Eireann reported 0.5 cm
    at Casement on Wednesday....

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sponsi

Hi guys,

as I've driven a lot in conditions far worse than current, I should be able to give some advice.
    First of all, what is good for snow not always is good for ice and vice versa. For deep, compacted or not, snow chains are the best solution (unless u drive a tank). With ice, there's no better grip than with spikes.
    Second, winter tyres are good for fresh snow, wet mud we had today and temperatures below +7 C (not as I've heard from an "expert" below zero only). They are not good for ice at all.
    This is my first winter I don't drive on winter tyres (last year's "one day" doesn't count ;) ), and I'm not really suprised that the grip on ice is slightly better with a bit worn tyres than with new ones.

A bit of advice: drive slower, think what you're doing and think of other drivers. But if these conditions lasts longer than a month... Let's go to Bahamas or somewhere :)

And if you're planning a trip to eastern europe this year, buy a set of winter tyres as a souvenir ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 strontium

short answer is i don't know and i qualified as a solicitor (not-practising), nobody knows what is and isnt legal in this country except for the exclusive legal profession and the judges. they will give you an answer if there's money in it for them, preferably a tribunal. and i am surprised that the woman garda did not arrest or summons the snow-chainer, this is ireland after all.

but enough legal drivel, to be helpful, i have used snow chains on the Contintent (the EU), Alps and Pyrenees, brilliant kit, with them on packed snow any ordinary car outperforms a 4x4, not suitable on on dry road, chains break and maybe do damage road. but easy to take on or off, pop them in your boot. 2 chains needed for drive wheels only. snowchains were used in ireland 30 years ago, i think there was a lot more sanity in the country back then, oddly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ronken505

snowchains are the business to get you out of a tight spot. i got stuck half way up a hill yesterday trying to come home. i was able to slip on a chain (on 1 wheel only) and it got me up the remaining 50 meters. The things rescued me!! I would have had to abandon the car otherwise.

for anyone who has a long driveway that can leave them stranded in snowy conditions id definately recommend chains. you may end up buying them and never needing them, but you could hold off on the purchase till next summer (assuming the bad weather has left your part of the country!!). maybe you could get some cheap on ebay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Yeah I'd love to see Alice in Chains play in Ireland, when are they coming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 wljcay

Yes, they're a lifesaver in snow and also give traction on icy roads, though are not designed for use on ice and should be removed as soon as the vehicle has negotiated the icy section or hill. When never used before, the user should practice mounting and dismounting the chains in warm, dry bright conditions. Practice makes perfect and you will be sufficiently familiar with mounting and dismounting so this can be done quickly and safely when needed. Make sure to buy the correct size for tyres on your vehicle. They can be bought online or from the alloy wheele dealer near Frank Keane BMW on the Naas Road in Dublin (near Kylemore LUAS stop on the Red Line. :)
    Similar to the studded tyres thread, has anyone ever used snow chains in Ireland? Can buy a cheap set on ebay for ~€40 delivered. These may be a easy solution to the occasional bad weather we get. Should be easier to change than a full set of tyres, however I wonder if these would be any good on icy roads, rather than snow. Anyone have any experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭alyuciao

I've driven in snow and ice for years (in Japan) and BEFORE I ever had snow tyres I always used chains. They are easy to put on (if prepared before hand) and just as fast to remove.

They are a life saver especially when driving on ice ( compacted snow that has melted on the surface and then frozen over again ), you will be wishing for a bit of bite from your tyres.

Yes they can damage your tyres........ but that is a small price to pay for not killing yourself..... or a pedestrian.

Anyone driving on summer tyres during severe conditions should have their lisence taken away from them..... better to be safe and stay at home.

Just my opinion..... no need to bite

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭MarkoC

Chains and in Ireland ? You guys must be really nuts or intimidated.

Theres absolutely NO REASON for chains in Ireland, proper winter tires will do theyr job perfectly. In Northern and eastern europe theres only few countries where the chains are allowed like Norway and Sweden. That means theres constant snow, NOT ICE !
    The damage you causing with the chains to your cars, tires and roads ... aro NOT worth that in Ireland.

Why people want to go so extreme when theres absolutely NO needs for that.

Again, chains are NOT for thin ICE, therefor they sell winter tyres with studs !

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bazzboy

I have written to BMW and told them of my idea for an anti theft device. It involves placing an ice cube under the rear wheels- now you are guranteed that it will either not move or just go around in circles.
    Seroiusly, any ideas to keep BMW cars from spinning around in circles on any bit of ice/ snow ? I live in Dublin and the main roads are ok so far but its getting to them is the problem and dont even think of a slight incline or hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

Here's something to consider regarding chains and winter tyres

Having the best tyres on the front driven wheels will give best traction to propel the car forward, however lack of forward propulsion is not what causes you to crash. Crashes are caused by losing traction cornering or braking. If the rear tyres have less grip they will break out first causing oversteer, or even the rear overtaking the front. This is much harder to control than the progressive understeer where the fronts lose grip and much more likely to cause a crash. This effect is also to be expected when using chains on the front only, one of the reasons to only drive very slowly with chains on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

MarkoC wrote: »
    Chains and in Ireland ? You guys must be really nuts or intimidated....Again, chains are NOT for thin ICE, therefor they sell winter tyres with studs !
    The clue is in the name; snow chains
    Here's something to consider regarding chains and winter tyres

Having the best tyres on the front driven wheels will give best traction to propel the car forward, however lack of forward propulsion is not what causes you to crash. Crashes are caused by losing traction cornering or braking. If the rear tyres have less grip they will break out first causing oversteer, or even the rear overtaking the front. This is much harder to control than the progressive understeer where the fronts lose grip and much more likely to cause a crash. This effect is also to be expected when using chains on the front only, one of the reasons to only drive very slowly with chains on.
    I doubt either of these posters has actually tried snow chains. Understeer, oversteer WTF! Yes the back of the car can slide around, fishtailing, but it always follows the front. Put yer foot on the accelerator if your rear is trying to overtake you :D
    That is completely different to sliding helplessly along sideways, in slow motion, towards that stone wall or expensive merc 20 metres downhill of you. Yes, we have all been there :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rev2.0

bazzboy wrote: »
    , any ideas to keep BMW cars from spinning around in circles on any bit of ice/ snow ? I live in Dublin and the main roads are ok so far but its getting to them is the problem and dont even think of a slight incline or hill.

Take it handy?

Have driven a 116 & a 520d in the snow without any hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I have written to BMW and told them of my idea for an anti theft device. It involves placing an ice cube under the rear wheels- now you are guranteed that it will either not move or just go around in circles.
    Seroiusly, any ideas to keep BMW cars from spinning around in circles on any bit of ice/ snow ? I live in Dublin and the main roads are ok so far but its getting to them is the problem and dont even think of a slight incline or hill.

50-100kg Weight in the boot, slightly deflate tyres (though some here debated this idea, its a common "thing" to do) and failing that Winters on the rear or Snow Socks (which I dont like for a variety of reasons).

Start in 2nd gear, drive one gear higher than normal. I drove an 850CSi and 530i (Auto) on Summers in the Winter last year. 850 was a handful, though only spun out once when I disabled ASC and the 530i Auto was really well behaved. This year I sold the 530i and bought an Audi S8 and have Winters on the rear of 850CSi but ASC is not working at the moment and too dangerous and pointless to try without it. I sold the 530i with Mitchelin Alpines (Winters) on the Rear, wonder how the new owner is getting on. His otherhalf didnt trust BMWs since her 1series spun out last year.

I live in the midlands btw, no grit, no street lights and rubbish roads, since you are in Dublin you really should have it a lot better off!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Never mind the chains, I think I'll need a new handbrake cable come the end of this weather love it..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Summer tyres are terrible in the wet.

Considering the amount of rain we get in Ireland, I reckon you'd be far better off investing in a good set of all season tyres rather than chains (chains? really? its Ireland, we're not in the bleedin arctic circle.) A decent set of tyres will deal with the worst conditions we get during the winter in Ireland if you drive right.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

stop driving like every x5 driver and SLOW DOWN.

keep the revs low, progress through the gears quicker than you normally would. when you're slowing down, don't press hard/suddenly on the brakes. do everything gently and use the breaking power of the engine by shifting down gears to slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

ironclaw wrote: »

And I have to disagree on that one, I think 9 times out of 10 there would be a way around. There are no critical dead end roads that I'm aware of.

If you live in the countryside like me ,the other way around could mean an extra 30 miles.
    You summed it up in your last post MORE severe. What we are getting compared to those countries is laughable its merely a frost and a bit of ice. The roads are ice rinks here in Donegal.

Your right we shouldnt be compared to those countries because they have a much better infrastructure than us and are well used to this type of weather, they have the proper provisions in place to keep the roads clear constantly. We cant compete with that.

The roads where I live are desperate , -10 and a lot of snow is defintley not laughable and its defintley not a "its merely a frost and a bit of ice", its still very dangerous conditions for driving no matter what way you look at it or what country you are comparing it with. The roads are ice rinks here in Donegal.

recedite wrote: »

I doubt either of these posters has actually tried snow chains. Understeer, oversteer WTF! Yes the back of the car can slide around, fishtailing, but it always follows the front. Put yer foot on the accelerator if your rear is trying to overtake you :D
    Would like to sit with you in the same car while you doing that :D
    Your statement is completely wrong.

Please dont talk about the things if you had no experience and/or you made very little or no research at all (dem cant you even google for more information ?)
    Always have better tyres in rear ! Why ?
    Because if you lose control over rear wheels you wont be able to bring it back on ice and snow. Yeah accelerate and have more spinning fun on motorway at 80km/h ...

Please post something constructive next time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

MarkoC wrote: »
    Would like to sit with you in the same car while you doing that :D
    Your statement is completely wrong.

Please dont talk about the things if you had no experience....

My good man, I have been fitting chains nearly every winter for the last 15 years, so I do know:)

Just to clear up the confusion, there are two apparently contradictory kinds of advice being given. My advice is only for driving on snow chains. Driving at max 30kph, full control front wheels, zero control rear wheels. If you don't know what this feels like, I can tell you it requires a different driving style, but its fun when you get used to it. Unfortunately once you come down off the mountainy back roads, or if you can see any tarmac at all, you need to take off the chains or they wear out. From then on you would be much better off with a good set of winter tyres, with better ones on the rear etc. as you describe. Personally, though, I can't be bothered changing tyres or buying special ones.

Snow chains are more for recreational use, or if you live up a hill where the grit lorries don't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Hi all,

A lot of interesting comments and information has been posted here. I really think I need something to aid my journey, safety, etc.
    So here's the situation. I live almost ten miles from the nearest town, on a by-road off a secondary road, so you can imagine it's ice on compacted snow, with more snow fallng at the mo.
    Drove to town yesterday, 50 mins for 13 minute drive, didn't get out of 2nd all the way there. Up hills, down hills a bit of everything. It was literally ice/snow all the way to about 500 yards from town centre. Really was a mixture of both. :D
    So, surely I can get something to help, chains? socks? tyres? I understand an urban driver's misfeelings about the need for anything, but that journey is the only way in and out of civilisation! So, please guys offer some constructive advice.
    Cheers, Dedaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

recedite wrote: »
    Snow chains are more for recreational use, or if you live up a hill where the grit lorries don't go...

I take you don't live in Ireland. The grit lorries here aren't even doing some of the major roads never mind hills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I've seen a couple of Defenders in Ashford using snow chains and they work great.

I've also seen cars with WEISS socks and they have had no issues at all.

johnos1984 wrote: »
    I've seen a couple of Defenders in Ashford using snow chains and they work great.

I've also seen cars with WEISS socks and they have had no issues at all.
    Do they drive all day long with them on any road ?
    Noone says they dont work, they do, but .... They not for every day use for avergae roads in these weather conditions, fact.
    Chains are only for mountains wheres over 3 inch icey snow, even then proper winter tyres will do the job, they are devenetly not for half inch ice road conditions. Socks will help you to get up hill, again, you cant drive over 50km/h and lonf journeys with them, rhey simply wont last longer than couple hundres kilometers. For every day safe usage theres no other options than winter tyres and thats long time known fact which is new in ireland, but you get there through your own experiences if you dont believe these people who actually talking about theyr own ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

They seemed to be just coming down from the mountains to the village to stock up on supplies. There is very bad compacted ice and snow on the roads here and its still coming down

Some of the drivers were very hairy and looked like they knew exactly what they were doing unlike the bint in the Range Rover SPURT who was having directional issues

Advertisement