Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ten Christmas Gifts for that LOI fan in your Life

• 28-12-2009 4:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭

This is an article that was posted on the HospitalPass website that is sadly missed by this LOI supporter.

Sean DeLoughry gives a list of ten recommended presents for the quintessential eircom League fan this Christmas.

Struggling for that special stocking-filler for the sad bast..., sorry eircom League supporter in your life?

Let HospitalPass help you in your time of need with a selection of Christmas gifts!

1. Selection Box : Full of tasty treats. Ideal for throwing at opposition goalkeepers. Throw the whole thing, or throw the chocolate bars individual – the choice is yours!

2. Celtic Jersey : What better way to express the love of your country than by wearing the jersey of a British football club? And what better way to express your love of the game than by wearing the jersey of the second best club in a foreign two team league who you’ve never seen play a competitive game? This bold political statement will make you very popular with the ladies.

3. Flares : Create an atmosphere while giving everyone in the vicinity 2nd degree burns. Also useful for throwing at opposition goalkeepers.

4. The Complete Anorak’s Guide to Every Ball that was Ever Kicked in Ireland : The essential, 140,000 page book of every fact and stat you could ever need to win a pub argument or to prove that your team are the greatest ever. With this indispensible book you will be able to win any argument with gems of information such as “my club is the only Irish club ever to win an away match in Liechtenstein on a Thursday after 6pm” or “my club are obviously superior to your club as we beat them three times in one season in the 1934/35 season” A favourable alternative to pointless small-talk over the Christmas dinner table.

5. The URL for HospitalPass : Share the joy with others this Christmas. Nuff said.

6. Six Pack of Dutch Gold : Ideal for keeping out of the cold, and can be used to recreate the thrill of watching Kilkenny City by inducing vomiting and producing copious quantities of urine. Again useful for throwing at opposition goalkeepers – or defenders if your arm muscles have strengthened considerably.

7. Superiority Complex :
    The essential eL accessory. Look down your nose on “Olé Olé’rs, Premiers**t fans and any other contemptuous people who claim to be football fans but refuse to go and watch the beautiful game that is UCD vs Bray Wanderers!

8. Hooded Anorak : Essential clothing for those nasty damp evenings in Tolka, Terryland or Turners Cross. Also provides a useful disguise for when Tom the Gom is prowling for someone to talk to.

9. eircom League Rulebook : Hours of fun guaranteed interpreting, reinterpreting, rewriting, ignoring and overruling. Fun for all the el family.

10. Toilet Roll :
    Essential equipment if you plan to actually utilise the toilet facilities at an eL ground. Also useful for throwing at opposition goalkeepers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

3. Flares : Create an atmosphere while giving everyone in the vicinity 2nd degree burns. Also useful for throwing at opposition goalkeepers.

Bit OTT, worse damage ever to happen to me was hole in my jacket and I was standing next to one.

Hoping it's not meant to be funny, because it's fecking shocking.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Hoping it's not meant to be funny, because it's fecking shocking.
    Aye, trys too hard

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Aye, trys too hard

a lot of its spot on, just not very funny.

ntlbell wrote: »
    a lot of its spot on, just not very funny.

Ye like it being called the eircom League, the 2nd degree burns from flares, etc...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Ye like it being called the eircom League, the 2nd degree burns from flares, etc...:rolleyes:

oh well that makes it all rubbish so :rolleyes::rolleyes:<--

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

The boards LoI-ers deserve to have the piss taken out of 'em in a funnier manner then this.

One of these to put all the LoI away supporters into/ Shels supporters pre their 'galacticos' period.

eircom-phone-box-450x337.jpg

One of these for fans of club x with debts of x amount.

1222312.jpg

One of these to preach to the heathens

soapbox.jpg

And finally, the gift that no LoI fan wants but, like socks and toiletries, will end up getting at one point in their lives:

_41303336_roddy_collins_203.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

could alway buy limerick fc for couple of quid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

This is about 7 years old!!!!!!!!!!!

Just found it in my documents on the old computer.

Made me laugh anyway. :)

Maybe you would be too young to get some of the references Gavin.....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

efuse to go and watch the beautiful game that is UCD vs Bray Wanderers!

And a nice fine from Frank and Irene.

This is about 7 years old!!!!!!!!!!!

Just found it in my documents on the old computer.

Made me laugh anyway. :)

Maybe you would be too young to get some of the references Gavin.....;)

Should have said it was 7 years old.:rolleyes:

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

probably get them a sky subscription and watch quality football

Iang87 wrote: »
    probably get them a sky subscription and watch quality football

I, for one, would love if Sky (or anybody) did a special package deal where you didn't have to pay for EPL games that were tactically inept, boring and largely bereft of technique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

stovelid wrote: »
    I, for one, would love if Sky (or anybody) did a special package deal where you didn't have to pay for EPL games that were tactically inept, boring and largely bereft of technique.

are you being sarcastic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Paulegend wrote: »
    are you being sarcastic?

Hahahahaha.

Paulegend wrote: »
    are you being sarcastic?

No.

Every single team in the EPL is far "better" than the LOI, but if you're saying that every game is "quality" - that is: a technical and tactical classic of entertainment despite the 60 pundits and cameras up every player's hole - you're wrong. If you took a handful of teams out of that league, it would be rated even less technically.

And that's from somebody who supports an EPL team and enjoys the coverage. I don't use 'quality' as a yardstick for football even though I appreciate and enjoy it.

Not that we should even be discussing this in this thread, mind, but I thought I'd answer the other lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

i was only taking the piss man but i do understand your point completely about teams being "better" so hence it must be more enjoyable thats just rubbish its just that its mainstream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

IF a dog is kicked every day , He'll think its standard.

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    IF a dog is kicked every day , He'll think its standard.

Eric Cantona right?

I love his work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

1. Renewed membership of Rovers
    2. Season Ticket for Rovers
    3. FIFA Letter condemning the Connaught St. stand
    4. FAI Letter promoting Shels once and for all.
    5. A gagging order on commenting on Torpedo
    6. FAI letter relegating Dundalk...just for the fun of it
    7. FAI letter replacing Dundalk with...Waterford
    8. A window repair kit for trips to Limerick, Derry and Dundalk..and Dorset St.
    9. Rovers merchandise
    10. Government letter confirming Tom Coughlan's extradition to Saturn.

That's my letter to Santa next year sorted. :cool:

dfx- wrote: »
    1. Renewed membership of Rovers
    2. Season Ticket for Rovers
    3. FIFA Letter condemning the Connaught St. stand
    4. FAI Letter promoting Shels once and for all.
    5. A gagging order on commenting on Torpedo
    6. FAI letter relegating Dundalk...just for the fun of it
    7. FAI letter replacing Dundalk with...Waterford
    9. Rovers merchandise

You're my new best friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Yeah, id hate for the supporter of the Tallaght team to have to venture into a less then reputable area...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Yeah, id hate for the supporter of the Tallaght team to have to venture into a less then reputable area...

Full season in Tallaght and not one report of trouble in or near the ground.

Every time every Dublin club goes to Dundalk or Limerick, it kicks off with locals who haven't been to the game.

Draw your own conclusions etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ignore him. Seriously. Ignore him.

Des wrote: »

Who, me or the fuhrer?

Luas with windows smashed after the Shams -v- Gypos derby, the mill-up in Belgard (close enough to the groud), etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

I'm sure the hotel across the road wouldn't agree about there being 'no trouble'.

Luas with windows smashed after the Shams -v- Gypos derby, the mill-up in Belgard (close enough to the groud), etc...

There was an incident with the Guards and some ticketless Bozo's at the Belgard, but a Luas getting smashed up? :eek:

Presumably if that happened there would have been some press comment on the issue, or even some internet chat? No doubt you can produce some links....

fh041205 wrote: »
    I'm sure the hotel across the road wouldn't agree about there being 'no trouble'.

Again, any specific incident or is this just general innuendo?

The Maldron are delighted with us and we have a great relationship with them. I can't think of one bad thing happening in or near the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Who, me or the fuhrer?

not you

• Advertisement

Again, any specific incident or is this just general innuendo?

The Maldron are delighted with us and we have a great relationship with them. I can't think of one bad thing happening in or near the place.

They've had windows smashed themselves on occassion on match nights. Not the kind of thing that would make national press mind you. I suggest you speak to someone higher up in the hotel if you're really that interested because if you deny that they've had windows broken then you're either lying or you just don't have the facts. No accusation there of any sort, just saying that I know this to be true.

In any case, its not the end of the world, and I'm not even sure of the name of the hotel.

There was an incident with the Guards and some ticketless Bozo's at the Belgard, but a Luas getting smashed up? :eek:

Presumably if that happened there would have been some press comment on the issue, or even some internet chat? No doubt you can produce some links....

The incident I'm talking about in Belgard is the arranged fight between Shams heads and Bohs head along with there forigen buddies they both had.

Don't know if there was any press coment or anything but well I seen a smashed up Luas the night of Bohs being in Tallaght.

They've had windows smashed themselves on occassion on match nights. Not the kind of thing that would make national press mind you. I suggest you speak to someone higher up in the hotel if you're really that interested because if you deny that they've had windows broken then you're either lying or you just don't have the facts. No accusation there of any sort, just saying that I know this to be true.

In any case, its not the end of the world, and I'm not even sure of the name of the hotel.

I was talking to the manager of the Maldron at a meeting recently and she was quite clear that there was no trouble at all there all season. How much higher up do you want me to go?

I can assure you that if the Luas had been smashed up once, never mind 'on occasion' the Herald would have picked up on it at the prompting of the Gah. It didn't happen. Simple as that.

The incident I'm talking about in Belgard is the arranged fight between Shams heads and Bohs head along with there forigen buddies they both had.
    Don't know if there was any press coment or anything but well I seen a smashed up Luas the night of Bohs being in Tallaght.

You really shouldn't believe everything you read on Shelsweb. Cops stopped tram with the BSC and their rent-a-mob and put them back on the tram to town and shadowed them. There was no Rovers involvement in it at all.

You say you saw a 'smashed up' Luas, I simply don't believe you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I was on the Luas after the 1-0 defeat, good banter between the guards and the fans - they had intended staying on till town but got off at the red cow as there was no trouble.

You really shouldn't believe everything you read on Shelsweb. Cops stopped tram with the BSC and their rent-a-mob and put them back on the tram to town and shadowed them. There was no Rovers involvement in it at all.

You say you saw a 'smashed up' Luas, I simply don't believe you.
    bohsman wrote: »
    I was on the Luas after the 1-0 defeat, good banter between the guards and the fans - they had intended staying on till town but got off at the red cow as there was no trouble.

The Luas which I saw was empty, no one was allowed on it, it was smashed to bits. Seen it at Blackhorse luas stop goig back into town, texted my mate who is a Sham and he said there was a luas smashed up, 2+2 = 4.

OHYD back to his good oul ways, BSC and their rent-a-mob, what about Rovers and their rent-a Cliftonville mob?????:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

OHYD back to his good oul ways, BSC and their rent-a-mob, what about Rovers and their rent-a Cliftonville mob?????:rolleyes:

The difference being that the Rovers version are still welcome at their games.

The Luas which I saw was empty, no one was allowed on it, it was smashed to bits. Seen it at Blackhorse luas stop goig back into town, texted my mate who is a Sham and he said there was a luas smashed up, 2+2 = 4.

Hold on. I'm telling you you are wrong. He was on the Luas, which means he was at Belgard and he is telling you you are wrong. You are wrong.

Blackhorse is near Inchicore. Maybe it was Pats fans? I can start nonsense rumours too.

What about them? The Cliftonville fans who follow Rovers aren't hoolies. They are too drunk most of the time to start with.

Can confirm that the luas incident did happen, and no I can't provide a link either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

i'm regretting posting that article now.

I was talking to the manager of the Maldron at a meeting recently and she was quite clear that there was no trouble at all there all season. How much higher up do you want me to go?

I don't want you to do anything. If don't wish to believe me, I don't really blame you. If we all believed everything we read on boards the world would be a very dreary place indeed. Some digging amongst the right people will tell you all you need to know. Cheers.;)

• Advertisement

I suggest you speak to someone higher up in the hotel if you're really that interested

The same hotel that sponsora us and consistently tries to get more fans into the hotel on match days by putting on music and food?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Des wrote: »

Yeah, just ignore me and keep on posting rubbish.

stovelid wrote: »
    The same hotel that sponsora us and consistently tries to get more fans into the hotel on match days by putting on music and food?

Possibly. Like I say, I don't know which hotel it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Saturn isn't far enough. The edge of the universe would be better. Also he should take Roddy with him.

Saturn isn't far enough. The edge of the universe would be better. Also he should take Roddy with him.

Tbh Coughlan has done more damange to CCFC and the league than Roddy ever did. At least Roddy is a personality, someone who'll attract the headlines almost in a good way. Although I'll never forgive him for what he did to those poor Dublin City fans. He ruined the spirit of that club completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

11. A seperate forum for league of Ireland fans.

and a ".co.uk" for the british football fans..........:D..............who said that

As mentioned before, this is an Irish forum so it should be the British leagues getting a separate forum.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Tbh Coughlan has done more damange to CCFC and the league than Roddy ever did. At least Roddy is a personality, someone who'll attract the headlines almost in a good way. Although I'll never forgive him for what he did to those poor Dublin City fans. He ruined the spirit of that club completely.

I sick of hearing "Roddys a character" or "he'll attract interest". The only headlines he's drawn so far are the ones relating to him screwing over his former club Floriana. And i don't care if he's got personality or character, that does'nt make him a good manager.

And what he did to Dublin city was disgraceful but he probably does'nt give a toss.

Possibly. Like I say, I don't know which hotel it is.

The "one across the road".

I'm surprised that they would actively seek (and get) sponsorship with us, put on music and food on match days, put framed shirts behind the bar and offer match-related promotions if people were running amok and smashing windows.

Or you could be talking out of your hole, of course.

I assume you support Shels too. You'll see the score with Tallaght when you come to a fixture. That will involve getting out of the first division on your own steam without blaming everything on Fingal though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement