Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychiatric wards unfit for human habitation, report finds

Options
  • 28-12-2009 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Irish Times article: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/1228/1224261302831.html?digest=1

tl;dr version: Some of our older psychiatric institutions are in a dire state, Government knows this and has secured 40 odd million to invest in the capital budget for this area in 2010.

Good to see the Government hasn't been caught on the hop on this and is doing something about it, that said these problems aren't new and these places were in a bad state years ago but realistically long term mental health patients pull less heart strings than autistic kids etc so not overly surprising that this wasn't top of voter priorities for knocking on TDs' doors.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

As a politician it does not make sense to help the most vulnerable, they are not likely to vote. Therefore they splash out on the middle classes with free education, tax reliefs on mortgages and so on.

Why would a politician do anything for the most vulnerable? There are no incentives for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭afatbollix

brownie points with the middle class??? get a load of PR behind it... just dont shaft them in the end and they would come out the heros....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

afatbollix wrote: »
    brownie points with the middle class??? get a load of PR behind it... just dont shaft them in the end and they would come out the heros....

????????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Not surprised.

Through my work I've had occasion to visit a number of mental health hospitals and units and it's a truly mixed bag.

Some are quite nice - St Edmundsbury for example, or St. John of Gods.

Some are absolutely appalling. The unit in Blanchardstown, at least last I saw it, was in a group of drafty, cold outhouses that were dank and dirty. How anyone is supposed to get better in such a place is beyond me. It's an absolute disgrace for a country such as ours.
    SLUSK wrote: »
    As a politician it does not make sense to help the most vulnerable, they are not likely to vote. Therefore they splash out on the middle classes with free education, tax reliefs on mortgages and so on.

Why would a politician do anything for the most vulnerable? There are no incentives for it.

A problem with impacts in a variety of areas.

We need to fire politicians and replace them with statesmen and women.

Advertisement