Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a new Win-7 PC in Ireland?

• 28-12-2009 10:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

Is this too stupid a question.

I bought my first pc 7 years ago from Dell. Now thinking of going for a bit more power. Been looking again at a Dell, but was wondering where else I should look. Have a large monitor so just need the box. Money is important, so no luxury systems or Apples. I could wait for next Aldi or Lidl offer but they often have stuff that's of no interest to me, remote controls, tv tuners etc. Not a gamer, mostly just web, maybe some phone-video editing and music encoding.

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I'd just stick with Dell and get a better machine from them - I find it difficult to find PCs with their kind of specs for their kind of money.

What processor do you have now?
    Consider Core 2 Quad or an i5/i7 if you want a beast of a machine :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

snappieT wrote: »
    I find it difficult to find PCs with their kind of specs for their kind of money.

???????

How about boards' own B&U section or more to the point this thread:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055756373

Dell's budget line is ...(no foul language allowed)... worth much less than whatever they are asking for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

???????

How about boards' own B&U section or more to the point this thread:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055756373

Dell's budget line is ...(no foul language allowed)... worth much less than whatever they are asking for it.

For budget ~€400 PCs you are better off just buying from Dell. It only becomes worth your while building yourself when you are going for a higher spec gaming rig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dohouch

???????

80gb Ram.
    Your sig,I know where you're coming from and I'm not going there!

Hell (sorry, dell) is all about convenience. See something in your price range, punch in credit card numbers and the box will be at your door in three days, with free shipping weeeeeeeeeeee!

However, these facts remain:
    - There will two dozen shareware/trialware programs slapped on, which will make your new box feel like sludge.
    - You won't have a clue where the components are sourced from, but who cares. Take for example hard drives: maxtor, wd, samsung... it's all the same, right?
    - The upgrade path is often hindered by various proprietary design "solutions" inside the case.

I do however acknowledge that there are people who just need a box that will do what it is meant to do for the average (whatever that means) user who do not have time / desire to investigate what goes inside that box. Fine. To that end, may I suggest, for the sake of convenience, next time you're down to tesco for a pint of milk, have a look at their "Icon" boxes (or whatever they are stocking these days). They'll be as good as dell, only less annoying.

You could of course take the red pill, stay in wonderland and see how deep the rabbit hole goes...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hell (sorry, dell) is all about convenience. See something in your price range, punch in credit card numbers and the box will be at your door in three days, with free shipping weeeeeeeeeeee!

However, these facts remain:
    - There will two dozen shareware/trialware programs slapped on, which will make your new box feel like sludge.
    - You won't have a clue where the components are sourced from, but who cares. Take for example hard drives: maxtor, wd, samsung... it's all the same, right?
    - The upgrade path is often hindered by various proprietary design "solutions" inside the case.

I do however acknowledge that there are people who just need a box that will do what it is meant to do for the average (whatever that means) user who do not have time / desire to investigate what goes inside that box. Fine. To that end, may I suggest, for the sake of convenience, next time you're down to tesco for a pint of milk, have a look at their "Icon" boxes (or whatever they are stocking these days). They'll be as good as dell, only less annoying.

You could of course take the red pill, stay in wonderland and see how deep the rabbit hole goes...
    Iqon went bust so don't think there sold any more, also Iqon better than Dell :eek::eek:, that company never even had drivers provided online, and build quality left allot to be desired :rolleyes:, in fairness to Dell, I've found the ones I've used to be solid enough machines

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Iqon went bust so don't think there sold any more

My bad :o

Sorry OP, did not mean to confuse you with all the gobbledygook. The bottom line is, if you are not familiar how to do it yourself, get somebody else to streamline and "decrapify" your windows 7 installation (if you go the dell route). It's just that I'm bit tired of doing it for friends and family all the time, so was venting there a bit. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dohouch

@slowlydownwards:
    I've had this problem, i.e. not being able to easily add a 2nd hard drive. Been using my present Dell pc since nov 02, and have had not a single problem since day one, (o.k. it came with the keyboard setup for U.S. users)
    Oh yeah, had a 486 dumped on me once, and was able to find all it delivery specs. on the the Dell site, don't remember but 10 to 12 years after manufacture. Don't know if their support is still so extensive as I haven't had to use it for 7 years!
    I'm not saying Dell are the Rolls Royce of PC assemblers, but I'm not looking for a Rolls, and any interest I once had in PC inards is long dead. I suppose I'm more a Toyota driver, if it starts and gets me there for the next 7 years I'm happy enough. Don't do gaming, and will forever be tied to copper wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 COLAISTE EANNA

if i were you id go and have a quick look in currys cause they are class for refurbished computers and good for just the tower and no monitor mouse or keyboard. harvey normans is another good place. they have great computers. hope this helped:)

Advertisement