Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC World/ Laptop issue.

Options
  • 28-12-2009 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Purchased a netbook end of April from PC World.:mad:
    Wanted to use for work, not heavy applications but i work in service and spend most of my time driving and dealing with customer brackdowns. Word excel email checking pdf manuals surfing, nothing major.
    Was recommended a Dell inspiron 1010 and bought an external dvd/rw etc.

Since buying it the problems have been, a failed H/D. Unit away with Dell for 10 days. Got it back and lots of blue screens, locking up, usb posts not working.
    Back to PC world end of Nov and told M/B issue. Sent back to Dell and got call xmas eve that netbook was back working.

Picked up yesterday and usb ports not working, inside of display screen very dirty and running slow.

When i complained to manager before yesterday i was told that i was at that time not entitled to a refund or even exchange. He also told me that this type laptop is not for work purposes and should not have been sold to me for that type of use. Its has been back twice and today its going back for the third time.

Any ideas on where i stand with this?
    Regards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Faulty-goods/

Do not send it back a 3rd time. The first repair should have been permanent, and you should not have to keep sending it back. You are entitled to seek further redress, and if they refuse, first mention you'll go to the Small Claims Court if they don't replace or refund, and if they still refuse, then do go to the court.

There's no such thing as a "work" laptop either, they're talking rubbish there.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Hi,

Sorry to hear you've been having such issues. You are covered under the sale of goods and supply of services act, which states that the goods must be fit for purpose. The fact that the store clerk has told you that you should not have been sold that laptop for your type of usage is further proof.

Be reasonable but firm, explain to them that if the laptop is not repaired or replaced within a reasonable time frame, you will take the matter to the small claims court. I used to work in retail myself, and if you came into me with an issue like that, I would do everything in my power to help you. Hope you get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

You have to come to an agreement with the retailer on either repair, replacement or refund. Since you have allowed them to attempt to repair on a number of occasions you can strike that one off the list now.

What I would say to the store.

'Since the purchase I have been very lenient in allowing you to attempt to repair the machine but at no point since the first failure has it been of 'merchandisable quality'. For this reason I will no longer consider a repair.

I am happy for a replacement machine of merchandisable quality without cost.

If we can't come to an agreement then I will use my rights to take the matter to the small claims courts for a full refund as I will have lost faith in you to resolve any possible future issues.'

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This one is pretty simple. You've given them two chances to repair the netbook, neither of which have been successful.

Therefore, you can now reasonably decline further repairs and instead seek a refund or replacement as per your Consumer Rights. The netbook is clearly faulty or "not fit for purpose". The fact that you are using it for work-related stuff is not relevant here - all the faults mentioned here have been hardware-related, not software.

If they are not amenable to the idea of a replacement/refund, inform them that you will be lodging a claim with the Small Claims Court within 10 business days. Document all dates and times and make sure to follow up with a registered letter.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

I don't think you should have a problem getting that machine replaced. Speak to the manager I'm sure it will be sorted for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,540 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We had an identical problem with a laptop (under 12 months old) that had been sent away twice to the UK and was still not working. PC world said they would send it away again and my daughter told them she needed it and could not afford for it to be gone again. They just kept saying it was 'Policy'. I went in with her (she is 23 and well able to speak for herself) and got the same story. 'Policy' they kept saying. So I said that they would have to give us a loan laptop until this one was repaired. The assistant went off to speak to the manager and within five minutes we had the value of the laptop credited to us against the cost of a new one.
    First question - what happened to the 'Policy'
    Second question - why could they not do it for her, why did I have to get involved.
    Hint - stand at the Service desk, be endlessly polite but speak loudly enough and make your case clearly for the benefit of other customers in the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

You were ripped off.... well kinda. I would have refused a credit note as this is not a refund, they have the option of repair, replace or refund.

Suppose technically a credit not is 'replace' rather than refund. Small point but one to remember, get your cash back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Why is it they say policy?
    I had a problem with Pc world and my compaq laptop the touchpad stopped working and they said ok we will send it back to our repair technicans had to wait 2 months and then it came back saying it was moisture damaged. Now its not a matter of who said what but its the fact that when I went in before it was sent away they said that their policy was that I did not get a choice in the matter of if I got my money back a repair or replacement now this infuriated me and I really wanted to punch the guy who was incredibly smug about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Evolute wrote: »
    Why is it they say policy?
    Because your only way of disputing it is through SCC which is unlikely to go in your favour if you reject a reasonble solution offer (i.e. 3 Rs) from the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,540 ✭✭✭✭looksee

ch750536 wrote: »
    You were ripped off.... well kinda. I would have refused a credit note as this is not a refund, they have the option of repair, replace or refund.

Suppose technically a credit not is 'replace' rather than refund. Small point but one to remember, get your cash back.

We were quite happy with this solution, though she got a different make (Toshiba) of laptop which was a bit more expensive, but worth it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement