Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power cut - Kinsealy, portmarnock, malahide

Options
  • 28-12-2009 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Recently moved to Portmarnock and there has been two power cuts over christmas, the most recent being right now.

Does anyone know if this is a common occurance on this power grid or have I just been unlucky?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I've lived in Malahide for two years and have only been through one power cut but I know there's been a good few around the area lately so up until now I don't think it was a regular occurance that I know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Probably a fault developing that wasn't found yet wouldn't be common. The cold snap combined with the festive session would put more pressure on the cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Hi all,

Recently moved to Portmarnock and there has been two power cuts over christmas, the most recent being right now.

Does anyone know if this is a common occurance on this power grid or have I just been unlucky?

No, not unlucky. We just happen to have inept people working for ESB.

There are faulty underground connections in Kinsealy and Malahide which were highlighted a few years ago but have not been replaced. I got a response from the ESB in late October.

"The problems encountered were not due to overloading but are believed to be due to faulty cable jointing procedures when the cables were initially installed. The problems are at intermediate cable joints which are buried in the ground and thus cannot be directly inspected.

"The initial faults were experienced in the Kinsealy area in Mar/April and following these faults partial discharge tests, at elevated DC voltages, were undertaken to try detect any incipient joint failures. One furthur faulty joint was detected.

"A furthur cable joint failure occured in late Oct.Two overhead line failures were experirnced in Nov. One was due to a jumper failure, the other was a transient failure due to high winds. ESB recognises that this fault rate is wholly unacceptable as well as being highly unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Hi all,

I was in the bath on Stephen's night when it went - of all places :eek:

I would imagine they have skeleton staff on during the holiday period, hence when there were two so close together.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

And another one tonight - which was particularly welcome when the apartment's temperature started to drop and it got very cold. No fun when you haven't eaten....
    Came back thankfully but it does show unreliable the electricity supply is out here. That and all other bits of infrastructure.

• Advertisement

There are faulty underground connections in Kinsealy and Malahide which were highlighted a few years ago but have not been replaced.

Are these 38kv? The reason so many people are affected at a time. Must be just replacing fuses or something or it would be out for hours otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Davy wrote: »
    Are these 38kv? The reason so many people are affected at a time. Must be just replacing fuses or something or it would be out for hours otherwise

From memory Davy, yes there are 38kv but its a while since I reviewed that letter from the ESB.

I heard of the momentary blip this evening, hopefully it won't happen again on a night like this! Its very depressing being uncertain of both ESB supplies and water also.

ixoy wrote: »
    And another one tonight - which was particularly welcome when the apartment's temperature started to drop and it got very cold. No fun when you haven't eaten....
    Came back thankfully but it does show unreliable the electricity supply is out here. That and all other bits of infrastructure.

What time was that. My housemate was in since 6pm last night, and she said she had heard the electricitiy had gone, but was there all night since she came home.

What time was that. My housemate was in since 6pm last night, and she said she had heard the electricitiy had gone, but was there all night since she came home.
    I got in just after 6. The electricity went from about 17:40-18:00. After that it was back, but with only a trickle - so the lights were very dim, nothing that required any power (such as heating!) would work. Then at about 19:30 it went completely for about 30 minutes before it finally came back in full - it was bloody cold by then!
    I did hear that the lower end of Portmarnock (i.e. opposite end to the village) didn't experience a cut of the same severity.

I am in Seabrook, and was home since 7.15pm, and no power cut at all - and was lovely and warm with the heating on - is bizarre, as if memory serves me correctly, we are on the same road.

• Advertisement

I am in Seabrook, and was home since 7.15pm, and no power cut at all - and was lovely and warm with the heating on - is bizarre, as if memory serves me correctly, we are on the same road.
    Very bizarre. The street lights were gone when I had no power, as was the St. Annes' estate (beside Texaco). So perhaps you're on a newer supply whereas The Links was connected to an older system?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Power went off in Lusk for about 10-15 mins at 4pm.

Very bizarre. The street lights were gone when I had no power, as was the St. Annes' estate (beside Texaco). So perhaps you're on a newer supply whereas The Links was connected to an older system?

I would reckon so, it would be more a different circuit than newer and older. Seabrook would be fed from the old portmarnock direction. Wheres the links would be from village side.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

Faults in Malahide yesterday and Lusk today were both MV not 38kV.

Sparky84 wrote: »
    Faults in Malahide yesterday and Lusk today were both MV not 38kV.

Did the whole circuit from 38 trip or what.

The MV outlet tripped in the feeding station

Any idea why?

Old networks ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

The dart line acts a dividers as such. The links and kilns side is connected to the Portmarnock line. However us lot on the other side of the tracks ie Seabrook etc are on the Kinsealy/Malahide grind :)

Advertisement