Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fatal accident on M11

• 28-12-2009 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1228/rta.html
    Ireland
    Monday, 28 December 2009 12:42
    A woman in her 40s has been killed in a minibus crash near Gorey, Co Wexford.
    It is understood there were 19 people travelling in the bus. The other passengers have been taken to Loughlinstown Hospital.
    An ambulance responding to the crash has overturned on an icy stretch of the the N11.

There seems to be problems with the N11 south of Bray. Are local authorities running out of salt/grit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Lots of accidents on the M8 as well. I saw about 5 cars between Cahir and Cork up in all sorts of unlikely places, clearly after suffering mega skids. The emergency lane of the M8 lane and the overtaking lane were extremely icy. Councils did a poor job in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Bad smash on the N7 Naas road this morning southbound near the Green Isle. Ambulance and fire service in attendence. Outer most lane of this road was very icy. No gritting at all. Just a reliance on traffic to do the job. Cut backs or not its not good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Gritting in and around Gorey, including the M11, has been virtually non existent for the duration of the cold weather.
    There is a serious problem with ice on the Gorey/ Courtown road, caused by either blocked culverts or a burst pipe, which the council have done f*ck all about.
    Perhaps the council don't read their own planning applications, if they did they would know that the road is an artery to a major population centre in Riverchapel and not a rural boreen.This morning's fatal accident was waiting to happen. R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Wait for the next time they trot out the excuses regarding speed limits and blood-alcohol amounts when they look to reduce them and they say "what cost one or two lives?"

Well I think we've seen the cost. They can't find the money to even grit the roads. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭v300

Can the Council be held culpable in this fatality ?

RIP to the poor person involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Can the Council be held culpable in this fatality ?

The answer v300 is probably not...but the real disgrace is that no ATTEMPT will ever be made to hold them so.

Part of the long running problem with Irelands experiment with Independence is we NEVER took on board any notion of Responsibility,particularly corporate or national...and that`s the harvest we now reap.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Part of the long running problem with Irelands experiment with Independence is we NEVER took on board any notion of Responsibility,particularly corporate or national...and that`s the harvest we now reap.

Well said! I couldn't agree more.
    There is never a shred of responsibility shown. On the motors forum either today or yesterday a poster was commenting on how a road near him was in dire condition and several cars had crashed there due to the ice recently. Apparently complaints had been made prior to this icy weather and the section of road had been inspected, yet nothing was done!

Again and again we hear the same comment trotted out regarding speed limits or blood alcohol levels: "if we can save even one life, then it will be worth it...."
    Yet when it comes to ensuring the roads are safe in the first place, eff all is done and they whinge about "budgets".
    Complete and utter double standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Heroditas wrote: »
    Wait for the next time they trot out the excuses regarding speed limits and blood-alcohol amounts when they look to reduce them and they say "what cost one or two lives?"

Well I think we've seen the cost. They can't find the money to even grit the roads. :mad:

That is really unacceptable and crass comment to make. We need the speed, blood testing and road gritting. It's not a situation of having one over the other. Speed and drink driving are year round problems across the road network. Weather conditions are outside of the control of citizens and governments and are somewhat of a random nature. Ice is a problem a few days of the year but it should be tackled full on.

BrianD wrote: »
    We need the speed, blood testing and road gritting. It's not a situation of having one over the other. Speed and drink driving are year round problems across the road network. Weather conditions are outside of the control of citizens and governments and are somewhat of a random nature. Ice is a problem a few days of the year but it should be tackled full on.

I am not disagreeing with you regarding the blood testing and speeding.
    My point is that we are constantly told how changes need to be made to make the roads safer, yet they won't even ensure national primary roads are kept safe and "driveable" 365 days a year.
    It's a complete avoidance of responsibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

anyone know which post office the passengers were based?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

I don't think they were all from the one Post Office.

Today's papers quote the Gardai as saying that the road had been gritted prior to the accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I know one of the ambulance men who's ambulance crashed on the way to the scene. The road had been gritted earlier but it had frozen over again.
    Do they only grit the roads the once when they do actually get around to gritting the roads or do they repeat it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Meath CC had a gritter on the N3 on Sunday at about 4pm. Not sure if this was the only pass on the road that day but the N3 from Dunshaughlin all the way through to the city was in good condition on Sunday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

pity about the bmw! hopefully the owners premium doesnt rise!
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/death-crash-car-in-theft-probe-1994740.html

Advertisement