Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media Phone, any suggestions?

• 28-12-2009 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi, I am going to buy a phone in Jan/Feb. I have a Sky+ box. I would love to be able to transfer recordings from my Sky+ box to my mobile phone but haven't an idea as to how to go about it, any suggestions would be appreciated?
    Failing that, I would love to be able to transfer from say, DVD via the PC to the mobile phone. (or via a micro SD card). I am thinking of buying a Samsung i8910 HD as the Apple iPhone does not have a FM radio which I listen to a lot.Also the Samsung i8910 HD's screen seems to be getting rave reviews for watching films etc.

Any advice would be very much appreciated..I am thinking of buying the samsung from phonesonline.ie ...just wondering has anybody bought from this Irish website.
    Thanks,
    Slinger99

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Have you thought about using a slingbox?? Handy little device, but ofcourse you will have to stream the data to the phone which you may not want, but its a decent little device.

The site is genuine, plenty bought phones from their, i personally haven't but has had a few mixed comments on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You are on the right track, the Samsung OLED screens are fantastic. I have a S8000 Jet myself.

Your biggest problem will probably be transcoding material you want to watch to a format supported by the phone. Depending on the speed of your computer, it can ake a while for movie length files.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 slinger99

Thanks a mill. The Samsung also comes with built in software to convert the files(Tech Radar web review)

Thanks Davy....Would their be a cost issue re mobile phone tariff with slingbox??. I think I will take a punt on the "phonesonline" site....I will post later to let people know how I got on with purchase. Thanks again,
    Slinger99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

slinger99 wrote: »
    Thanks Davy....Would their be a cost issue re mobile phone tariff with slingbox??.

Ye you would be connecting to the internet on the phone, to connect to your modem at home which is connected to the slingbox. If you are going to be near wifi then it would be fine, but if you are using the network connection its 99cent a day for 50mb, or then €7-10 a month for bill depending on network and contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

the i?

The iphone does not have a radio except via the internet..I think I will buy the samsung i8910 HD as it comes with software for converting the files for playing video on the phone. Many thanks for ur suggestion.

Thanks Davy...I am always a bit wary of dowloading heavy files over the phone..have been stung once or twice with nasty direct debits..think i will have to go via the pc at home...of course mabey I could do the slingbox at home....can i transer from my sky+ box programme to the slingbox and then download to phone via wi-fi or ethernet cable at home?? any suggestions re getting the programme out of the sky+ box and into phone would be appreciated.. again, many thanks, slinger99

Advertisement