Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rat in the garage

• 28-12-2009 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I have a rat, or rats in my garage. Im wondering whether I should go with Storm poison though? All my water tanks are in the garage so if they get thirsty and need a drink they could get it from this.

Whats the best solution? Ive found the entrance point also.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

can you not borrow a cat, we had rats in the garage and we got a pet cat, set up a bed there for him, feed him every day, cool pet, NO RATS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

mukki wrote: »
    can you not borrow a cat, we had rats in the garage and we got a pet cat, set up a bed there for him, feed him every day, cool pet, NO RATS

Hey mukki. Wish I could but theres nobody around with cats that I could use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Hey mukki. Wish I could but theres nobody around with cats that I could use.

pity

well i wouldn't use poison, i find it turns their poo blue long before they die and makes them very thirsty, god know what would happen if their shít lands in your water tanks

guess a rat trap is your only option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

A good dog beats a cat, paws down anyday when it comes to killing rats.

Lay down storm, cover off all the water tanks so they have no access, and they will go off outside to get water... or to your fridge for a diet coke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

For me nothing beats actually seeing the rat dead. Poison is not guaranteed and has a nasty habit of continuing up the food chain.
    I have found the "little nipper" brand of rat traps excellent, very powerful and reliable.
    I use some nutella as bait and have had great success.

• Advertisement

Ill have to see how I can get the tanks covered. For now Ill lay the 2 traps I have in the garage and hopefully catch the buggers.

I dont have Nutella to put on the traps (2 big wooden rat traps) but I do have Peanut Butter?

Ill have to see how I can get the tanks covered. For now Ill lay the 2 traps I have in the garage and hopefully catch the buggers.

I dont have Nutella to put on the traps (2 big wooden rat traps) but I do have Peanut Butter?

Peanut butter is also excellent, not too much just a little dab so the rat has to work at getting it.
    Lay them tonight with peanut butter and I bet you will have a rat tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Do not put a cat in there:eek: A rat can slice up a cat if threatened and you don't want that on your clean up list.

In terms of a dog, you need a rat cather like a terrier, something that size. I have a German Sheppard who watched a rat come and go in my kitchen for weeks without batting an eyelid because it did not perceive it as a threat. Actually seen with my own eyes the dog take no notice of it in the kitchen despite blatantly seeing it.

The best of the lot is a ferret but you really are getting into "I know an old woman who swallowed a fly" logic there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Chocolate too......they love the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

...or something nice and chewy like chicken-skin or bacon-rind so they have to give it a good tug to spring the trap.
    I used spring-traps with great success - couldn't use poison as I have hens and was concerned they might pick some up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Atwork

Get yourself a high stool, 20 bottles of Heineken and a pellet gun. Set up camp in the garage. Job done Rambo style.What could possibly go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 offline.seller

Just a quick word of caution.

We had a small rat problem a few years back, dad decided to use Storm. The rats got a hold of it, then looked for a source of water. They came across the qualpex in the attic (plastic piping), proceeded to eat there way through it in a few different locations. Long story short, we ended up being 2 & 1/2 months out of our house after we returned from our xmas holidays!

Moral of the story, use live traps, or a poison that's suitable for your situation. The easiest option isn't always the best!

Good luck,

O/s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Glue Traps were the only thing that worked for me with mice.

Cruel, but you can hear them squeal once caught and em.. finish them off.

Atwork wrote: »
    Get yourself a high stool, 20 bottles of Heineken and a pellet gun. Set up camp in the garage. Job done Rambo style.What could possibly go wrong!

Have an archery bow and was going to give that a shot!!!
    Have 2 traps set up with peanut butter, 1 storm block inside the garage and 2 blocks at the entrance to the hole outside. Going to keep the poison out if I can because we have the water tanks in the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I agree with the pellet gun theory.

We had some little feckers in our house before (mice, not rats) and set lots of traps with chocolate as bait. Not even a sniff. They even had the cheek to come and say hello late at night in the Sitting room. We ended up offing one of them with the coal shovel. Only way to go.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

For my two cents I never use rat poision.

1. You usually never find the evidence.

2. If your lucky enough to its usually in a water tank or near a source of water like a gully drain in the back garden

3. If animal or children come across the dead rat before you..... Well

4. You never know how many there was.

Best source of killing is traps. Those sonic things are sh1te and i know of a legal case being brough in america but cannot find the link. Sorry

One of the best traps I have used was "The Big Cheese" it comes in rat and mouse traps. What ever trap you use follow the rules. Do not set it in the middle of nowhere but along a run. Usually against a wall. Because of the way the big cheese works it can also be set in a shoe box or the likes makeing it safe for animals.

With Rats I have never caught any less than 3 but I am sure there is exceptions.

Good old wooden trap and peanut butter. Got one of the little buggers during the night.
    2 more traps set and ready!!

Good old wooden trap and peanut butter. Got one of the little buggers during the night.
    2 more traps set and ready!!

Shoulda took my bet;):D

Advertisement