Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewership numbers for UFC, an indication of popularity?

Options
  • 28-12-2009 2:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭

A small note from the Wrestling Observer website:
    -For the week ending 12/13, the live showing of UFC 107 did 35,000 viewers in the U.K., which doesn't sound like much, but it was the second-most watched television show on ESPN U.K. for the week. A replay in prime time the next night was No. 9 with 13,000, the Countdown show did 14,000 and an episode of Unleashed had 13,000. It's really amazing how few people watch UFC on ESPN, and really, how few watch WWE as well, and how well both draw when they run shows there. (thanks to William Cooling)

I think the low viewership in this part of the world was mentioned in a topic recently but I couldnt find it so I made a new topic. Not sure if that figure includes Ireland though but still thats crazy either way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I think a massive part of it is how many record it cause of the time, how many watch it in groups and how many watch online/download it.
    Not an easy thing to measure id say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I think a massive part of it is how many record it cause of the time, how many watch it in groups and how many watch online/download it.
    Not an easy thing to measure id say

Also of course how many people are willing to subscribe to ESPN:
    - in this economy
    - after what happened with Setanta

Here is something I’ve always wanted to ask here, I’ve never talked to a hardcore UFC fan who watches Unleashed. The only people I know who have watched it are non fans who basically want to watch a scrap on the telly after being down the pub.

Cant wait to talk about the Best of PRIDE with those lads if/when it comes on over here. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

I would call myself a hardcore UFC fan these days and I watch unleashed most of the time.

The reason I watch is I only got back in to UFC in the past 2 and a half years or so, after watching the first few on tape years ago, so I'm catching up on the "in-between" years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Interesting. Any kind of idea of the figures that Setanta used to get in Britain and Ireland?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

bret69 wrote: »
    I would call myself a hardcore UFC fan these days and I watch unleashed most of the time.

The reason I watch is I only got back in to UFC in the past 2 and a half years or so, after watching the first few on tape years ago, so I'm catching up on the "in-between" years.

That’s fair enough sorry to be so black and white in my distinction. I kind of think that the audience I’m referring to is a holdover from UFC being on Bravo.
    Interesting. Any kind of idea of the figures that Setanta used to get in Britain and Ireland?

According to this 250,000 but I’m not sure if that is from the British UFCs or the American UFCs airing in the early hours in the morning:
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/garethadavies/10132309/UFC_After_Setanta_divorce_where_now_Bravo_Virgin_Channel_5_or_Sky_/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

As Meltzer points out, the real indicator of UFC popularity here and in the UK is ticket sales not audience figures for a new subscription channel. And ticket sales are still incredibly strong both here and the UK.

Forget the ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

As Meltzer points out, the real indicator of UFC popularity here and in the UK is ticket sales not audience figures for a new subscription channel. And ticket sales are still incredibly strong both here and the UK.

Forget the ratings.

True sure the Dublin event was the fastest selling event they had.
    In the UFC’s fastest sell-out thus far in Europe, over 6000 tickets were sold within a week of going on sale on October 20 and, less than two weeks later, all 10,000 tickets for the fully-scaled O2 were gone.

Source: http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=15669

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

its also a matter of accessibility.

I used to watch UFC all the time on Bravo (albeit a day late)

Since it all switched to ppv and sports channels i just watch online.

I know a lot of people who do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

I think it's also important to point out that the event aired at 3am. Outside of hardcore fans not that many people are gonna stay up to watch it live. Also the easy access to torrents etc. has to be taken into account. As regards the great ticket sales a lot has to do with the brand name of the UFC (and also WWE). Without going too far off topic in October TNA Wrestling drew around 3 thousand to the O2 despite the fact they get decent ratings and good exposure on Bravo. WWE came close to sell outs twice. The brand name means a lot and right now there are few brand names hotter than the UFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

In 2008 Micheal Bisping won the Fighter of the Year ahead of Ricky Hatton and Joe Calzaghe. For me it says a lot about the popularity of MMA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Id was it if it was more available, I cant afford to pay any more for tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

i think the fact that these figures don't include those who record is the biggest issue. I have seen pretty much every event since they started showing them live and only once have I sat up to watch it live.

I always record and watch on Sunday afternoon with the lads.

McArmalite wrote: »
    In 2008 Micheal Bisping won the Fighter of the Year ahead of Ricky Hatton and Joe Calzaghe. For me it says a lot about the popularity of MMA.

George St Pierre won Canadian Athlete of the year in 2008 and again in 2009, MMA is top tier now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

McArmalite wrote: »
    In 2008 Micheal Bisping won the Fighter of the Year

Only title he'll ever win...

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Only title he'll ever win...

Bar taking the best knockout of the night at UFC 100 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

I never watch UFC live. I have always recorded it and watched it on the Sunday. I know a lot of mates who do the same so if they dont count them id say they are missing loads in their ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

smoochie06 wrote: »
    I never watch UFC live. I have always recorded it and watched it on the Sunday. I know a lot of mates who do the same so if they dont count them id say they are missing loads in their ratings.

As far as i know they can include people who sky +/record an event

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

DrPhilG wrote: »
    i think the fact that these figures don't include those who record is the biggest issue.
    I always record and watch on Sunday afternoon with the lads.

I'd confidently guess that they do count the recordings, sure its down to viewing figures and that's based on if the station is on, and it needs to be on to be taped. even on sky plus they'd recieve the signal that the recording was on. if not then the technology is poor.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Hugo Drax

First there was the dream, now there is reality. Here in the untainted cradle of the heavens will be created a new super race, a race of perfect physical specimens. You have been selected as its progenitors. Like gods, your offspring will return to Earth and shape it in their image. You have all served in public capacties in my terrestrial empire. Your seed, like yourselves, will pay deference to the ultimate dynasty which I alone have created. From their first day on Earth they will be able to look up and know that there is law and order in the heavens.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭RustyBeanTin

Id been aware of the ufc and mma in general as far back as the mid 90's but it wasnt until the past couple of years that i had got into it, after every ufc i stream it online the next morning for free and im sure im not the only one

• Advertisement
Advertisement