Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Processor Swapping

Options
  • 28-12-2009 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

Have two computers here, both Dell. One has a Pentium D and one has a Core 2 Duo processor. A few utility apps have confirmed for me that they are both Socket 775

That being the case, should I be ok to swap them between the two computers? The machine with the Pentium D is vastly superior in all other areas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Do you know the specs of each processor? also the motherboards on each of the PCs, to check if they are truly compatible.

For instance, some 775 boards will only take a few core2duo models (not all of them)

A core2duo processor should be much better than a Pentium D processor. Perhaps it is the rest of the specs on the PC.

Never attempt a processor swap yourself without checking videos on youtube on how to do it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Probably not. Dells tend to have very limited CPU compatibility options; they tend to use the oldest, crappiest (and thus cheapest) chipsets possible and newer CPUs won't work in them. Many such chipsets are updated over time to give a much broader range of CPU compatibility and indeed you'd see this in almost any aftermarket mobo. The big OEMs on the other hand would infinitely prefer that you'd buy a new PC off them than swap or upgrade the CPU so they don't usually include CPU Compatibility upgrades with their custom BIOS updates :mad:

I'll need both model names and the model numbers of their current CPUs. I can say for sure that if the Pentium D is using an older chipset (i8**/i91*) it won't be able to take any Core2. If its using a newer one (i945 and up) it might be able to accomodate an older 65nm Core2 but the newer 45nm models are still a no-go.

EDIT: Bleh, jonny beat me :o

Advertisement