Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options
  • 28-12-2009 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭

Will it, won't it? Carry on in here lads;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

0c here. has not budged since 11am. Met Eireann not committing to any large scale snowfall. Very little indication of any possible accumulations if any. Drat!

28 December 2009 11:50

Today Frost and fog lingering this afternoon in parts of the midlands, Connacht and Ulster. Mostly dry with bright or sunny spells. Cloudier over Muntser with outbreaks of rain developing in southern parts of Kerry and Cork this evening. A few showers on eastern coasts also. Highest temperatrues of 0 to 4 degrees for most areas, but reaching 6 to 8 degrees in the southwest.
    Tonight

Rain and sleet will move up over Munster and south Leinster overnight, falling as snow on mountains. Temperatrues here will range from 0 to +4 degrees with fresh easterly winds. A dry night further north with a sharp or severe frost developing and lowest temperatures of -4 to 0 degrees. hr.gif

Tomorrow

Dry at first tomorrow in many areas with frost and icy stretches on roads. Rain and sleet in Muntser and south Leinster will extend northwards, falling as snow in places, especially on high ground. Parts of Ulster will stay mostly dry. A raw, blustery day with fresh east to northeast winds and highest temperatures of 1 to 5 degrees

rains on the way here, plenty of black clouds in distance. I hope to jaze we get some snow here in Lucan over the next day or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Severe fog down over leopardstown race course,extreamly poor visibility.
    Looking at it on rte.

Seems like going to be cancelled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Typical of Met Éireann really. Cover their arses and all bases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

trogdor wrote: »
    Will it, won't it? Carry on in here lads;)

Hope it does - just for the craic - If we get any up here on the peak of Bray sure yees can all come for tea - bitter here even though 4.3 .... that shower that came down there has the house freezing

• Advertisement

Those would be a few irish sea rain showers.
    It's calm now,the advection of the cold air hasn't happened yet so we rely on an existing cold pool that will at the start only do the business on the mountain tops.
    Except for the very high ground,this *will* start as rain everywhere with flooding potential as warm and cold air collide to give large precip totals.

Snow levels will drop to 600ft at some point in the next 36hrs,I just dont know when and it will settle at that height.
    Thereafter and I don't know when it will drop to sea level inland and lastly to the coast as the Easterly/northeasterly digs in with ever colder air.

here comes the precip. any reports fspacer.gifspacer.gifrom south kerry/cork?

spacer.gifWeb_radar.gif

3hr-rain.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    here comes the precip. any reports fspacer.gifspacer.gifrom south kerry/cork?

spacer.gifWeb_radar.gif

3hr-rain.gif

still dull and dry in Cork City WolfeIRE - but it looks a bit away yet anyway:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Those would be a few irish sea rain showers.
    It's calm now,the advection of the cold air hasn't happened yet so we rely on an existing cold pool that will at the start only do the business on the mountain tops.
    Except for the very high ground,this *will* start as rain everywhere with flooding potential as warm and cold air collide to give large precip totals.

Snow levels will drop to 600ft at some point in the next 36hrs,I just dont know when and it will settle at that height.
    Thereafter and I don't know when it will drop to sea level inland and lastly to the coast as the Easterly/northeasterly digs in with ever colder air.
    Ground conditions are going to be awful in places.

Rain thaws the top surface, but the ice underneath will hold it there. Also the frozen ground may enhance runoff which may contribute to flooding and we may still see ice on the ground after the rain has runoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

No precip yet anyway. will keep ye posted. Expecting rain for the next two days anyway. Its tropical here in comparison to the rest of the country.

• Advertisement

it is minus 0.5c here in a strengthening easterly and extensive cloud cover.

temp has not risen all day and has dropped 0.5c in last half hour. there has been no thaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 burkieboy

Radar at 14.45
    viewimage.pbx?type=hiradar;file=radaraaltv4_1445;sess=e86025a2fb15b231c2f7ed80a4873a27

GFS Prec Cast 06hrs for 15.00
    [URL="javascript: viewimage(1);"]viewimage.pbx?type=gfs;date=20091228;time=06;ext=09;file=ukprec;sess=0ac44666c48781cf1b443ef06c0ebdf2;[/URL]
    What do you think is the rain ahead of gfs prediction or is it just me

i thought so myself about it being ahead of gfs. it will most likely be stalled over south for a lot of tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

temp has not risen all day and has dropped 0.5c in last half hour. there has been no thaw.

Almost identical conditions further north on Galway. 0c, overcast and everything still White with frost - absolutely no thaw!

i thought so myself about it being ahead of gfs. it will most likely be stalled over south for a lot of tonight.

Is that good or bad Wolfe??

Could you change your location in your profile to exactly where you are :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Fionagus wrote: »
    Almost identical conditions further north on Galway. 0c, overcast and everything still White with frost - absolutely no thaw!

yes -2c here already I think we will get lower than -4c somehow anyone else?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hard frost holding here too. Absolutely frezzing outside.

Totally cloudy here all day.
    Temp is 3.8c and dp is 2.1c

Just went out to the dryer there - that rain shower froze ontop of the frost from last night - I doubt i have the 3.9 that we are showing .... skating rink & only 3.30pm - Think minime can stay in Wexford for the time being I aint driving down on that !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I've just heard a 2nd person has died from the bus that overturned near Gorey frown.gif
    Really? Its not on the news yet.

Pangea wrote: »
    Really? Its not on the news yet.

Breakingnews are a bit slow today with it being a bank hol - Ex hubby said that too when he rang.. 20 injured 2 dead so far...

Yeah sad.
    I was told by a Garda so it's rock solid reliable.
    They've been very busy today attending crashes on that stretch of road.
    One of the Garda traffic corps cars also went into the ditch at the scene of the bus crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

no thaw at all today. the frost has clung steadfast to the trees. meanwhile it's beginning to cloud over here:eek: what is going on? is the system moving uqicker than predicted at first, only then to slow down as it moves in over the south?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Fionagus wrote: »

Same here in Convoy, Donegal. No thaw at all and going by RTE, doesn't look there will be for next couple of days. Getting into the tenth day of these conditions, starting to lose its charm!
    jenzz wrote: »
    Breakingnews are a bit slow today with it being a bank hol - Ex hubby said that too when he rang.. 20 injured 2 dead so far...

I'd heard an ambulance over turned on that road too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

jenzz wrote: »

too late now regretting the debate over whose responsibility it was to grit the road:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Absolutely terrible news. :(

K-9 wrote: »
    Same here in Convoy, Donegal. No thaw at all and going by RTE, doesn't look there will be for next couple of days. Getting into the tenth day of these conditions, starting to lose its charm!

i don't see a thaw happening for the rest of week. normally RTE would be saying things are going to get worse just as they are about to get better

Nacho,
    yes the cloud ahead of the rain is over a wide area.
    http://www.met.ie/sat/iuk-ir.asp

Dunno how that will affect frost further north,it will probably impair it.

The band looks further south on the 12z

Also the latest news 24 graphics has the whole of co wexford right to the coast under heavy snow by tomorrow after noon :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Nacho,
    yes the cloud ahead of the rain is over a wide area.
    http://www.met.ie/sat/iuk-ir.asp

Dunno how that will affect frost further north,it will probably impair it.

The band looks further south on the 12z

Also the latest news 24 graphics has the whole of co wexford right to the coast under heavy snow by tomorrow after noon :eek:
    hopefully temps will get low enough not for the frost to melt!:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement