Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Yep B, the older player:

http://www.rte.ie/news/
    Leeside wrote: »
    If you go to Live TV and then News Now you will see the forecast at the end of the news. Its worth waiting for.

Thanks lads, Sh1tty O2 broadband though.. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

surprised BBC is on the snow side. Here in south dublin, the temp has moved from 0.5 to 2.7 in the last 2 hours and that front is still way down south. The only hope is when this band starts to slide south again on Weds. No chance of widespread snow tomorrow. am i talking crap? convince me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Hi Evelyn,I don't care what the others say,you're definitely the nicest wan in there :pac:

Her and Joan! I also find that Gerry stirs my loins :p

Seriously, it would be great to have the lot of them posting here in the weather thread! Maybe we should start a campaign? :)

Calling Glasnevin...please bring Gerry Fleming back....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Seriously, it would be great to have the lot of them posting here in the weather thread! Maybe we should start a campaign? :)

LOL Evelyn would be banned for Ramping after a day :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Hi Evelyn,I don't care what the others say,you're definitely the nicest wan in there :pac:

Are you going a little off topic there?:) We don't want anything that could raise the temperature even by on hundredth of a degree. The snow is still very much touch and go:D

forkassed wrote: »
    Rob McElwee in serious Ramp mode on News 24, He was saying he hopes it all turns to snow beacause it "looks nice" LOL

untitled-2.jpg
    lol I wish I saw that.
    Rob loves snow and cold and he's old school too,he was in the met and on the beeb since the days michael fish was on and was on in the 80's.
    He would be their best expert on snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

inabina wrote: »
    surprised BBC is on the snow side. Here in south dublin, the temp has moved from 0.5 to 2.7 in the last 2 hours and that front is still way down south. The only hope is when this band starts to slide south again on Weds. No chance of widespread snow tomorrow. am i talking crap? convince me.

Puddles of rain water were actually freezing over here at 4 o'clock this afternoon in D6. Then thick fog suddenly descended from nowhere.

Villain wrote: »
    LOL Evelyn would be banned for Ramping after a day :D

:D:D

Maybe they are already...

• Advertisement

Thats the east wind bringing in just irish sea air.
    It will take a while for air from moscow to arrive..

p.s Eveyln..dinner? chapter one?couple of bottles of chateau neuf du pap? my treat.
    pm meh:pac:

mad DIY wrote: »
    Maybe they are already...
    Quite possible indeed. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Quite possible indeed. :cool:

Eagle is that you???:D

leahyl wrote: »
    Eagle is that you???:D

Hi Evelyn, yep, you caught me out. ;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

My old grandad, years ago, used to say it always gets 'milder' before the snow. I know what he meant - the cold clear subzero tempoeratures were always followed by a rise ahead of cloud and a front, with the precipitation, I'm saying this is the situation we have now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

It will take a while for air from moscow to arrive..

It's due in on flight EI162 to dublin airport at 11.20am.

The wonderful thing about weather predictions is that everyone has got one. We should respect each other's opinions because that is all they are. Met Eireann are the experts here and we should respect theirs too.

I am sticking with my earlier bet on this. I backed up Red when he called snow. I still reckon the middle third of the country, at least, will see snow tomorrow eve/night and wednesday. This will be especially the case when that cold air hits the retreating front.

The low pushing south from the NE is a positive development for snow potential. if it continues its southward trajectory then we are more or less guaranteed a chilling easterly/northeasterly wind flow that will turn any rain/sleet into snow. I will eat my hat and yours if there is no snow lying on the ground come Wed night.
    image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=1&sat=ir

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

My old grandad, years ago, used to say it always gets 'milder' before the snow. I know what he meant - the cold clear subzero tempoeratures were always followed by a rise ahead of cloud and a front, with the precipitation, I'm saying this is the situation we have now.

what my mum always says;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Latest GFS run - Wednesday Evening

gfs-2-48.png?18

It's, overall a slight upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Fairly mild here at the moment. (Rathdrum, Co.Wicklow) most of the secondry roads are frozen over, had to help a couple with their car which was stuck on an ice sheet (bearly had to push the car, the road was that badly frozen)

I've thrown fertiliser on the footpath and drive and it seems to have burnt the ice off and is much safer now.

eagleton on very shortly here

http://www.rte.ie/live/

on the rolling news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Wow, that's a dangerous run to post at t+48. Any changes for the forecast on Wednesday night?

GFS run at 18GMT
    09123100_2818.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

stopped frezzing here about 2 hours ago, dont think we'll have any further frost here tonight, the east wind has picked up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Its all setting up perfectly.

GFS moved almost totally inline.

What we want to see is reducing dewpoints across the north of country through tomorrow morning.

1982' take 2 here we come.

Okay maybe a ramp too far:D

But somewhere is going to get a absolute dump tomorrow and wednesday.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    GFS run at 18GMT
    09123100_2818.gif

That's either snow for north Leinster and Ulster, or its space invaders. Given my lack of knowledge of those symbols, it's probably the latter.

Agreed. GFS has come right into line with ecm and ukmo. Anywhere from louth across to Mayo southwards is in line for snowfall

bbc charts have updated too http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209. never really set in stone but with only hours to go it will do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

What we want to see is reducing dewpoints across the north of country through tomorrow morning.

Please let that somewhere include the Dublin, no mater how unlikely! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I disagree. We'll all be sitting here this time tomorrow night licking our wounds after getting no snow, except a small chance on high ground. The GFS has massively overdone the snowfall IMO. I see the first chance being late Wednesday and Thursday. Before then i see sweet FA. The low is not going to make any further progress north after tonight. I've seen this type of setup before and the models have always overdone the low's movement.

Today's Camborne and Brest soundings show an unlikely snow setup; Camborne showing massively dry low-mid levels above 900Pa and -1°C 850 temps, and Brest showing positive temps and dp up to 700Hpa. With the advection of this airmass towards us over the next day or so, modifying as it does, I don't see any chance of snow whatsoever.

H500-1000 thicknesses of above 530 and H850 of barely -5°C are just not going to cut it I reckon. The southern half of the country - from Limerick to Wexford - will get decent rainfall but nothing else for the rest of us

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Su Campu wrote: »
    I disagree. We'll all be sitting here this time tomorrow night licking our wounds after getting no snow, except a small chance on high ground. The GFS has massively overdone the snowfall IMO. I see the first chance being late Wednesday and Thursday. Before then i see sweet FA. The low is not going to make any further progress north after tonight. I've seen this type of setup before and the models have always overdone the low's movement.

Today's Camborne and Brest soundings show an unlikely snow setup; Camborne showing massively dry low-mid levels above 900Pa and -1°C 850 temps, and Brest showing positive temps and dp up to 700Hpa. With the advection of this airmass towards us over the next day or so, modifying as it does, I don't see any chance of snow whatsoever.

H500-1000 thicknesses of above 530 and H850 of barely -5°C are just not going to cut it I reckon. The southern half of the country - from Limerick to Wexford - will get decent rainfall but nothing else for the rest of us

Spot on I reckon ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Su Campu wrote: »

You my friend are the ultimate downgrader ! or maybe the voice of reason ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement