Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

M2 buoy DP slow and steady fall, very encouraging :) Nice pool of cold air over Scotland and Northern England too.
    I will be stocking up on provisions tomorrow :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

i will be too nearly out of drink:D oh and food..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Whatever you do don't look at the latest Met graphics for the BBC - you will only be disappointed ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

new weather warning from met eireann

Issued at 29 December 2009 - 00:10
    Weather warning
    Rain will spread slowly northwards during Monday night, Tuesday and Tuesday night to affect much of the country (but will be slow to reach Ulster and north Connacht). It will be persistent and heavy in places, with totals of 30 mm or more in parts of the south and southeast. It will produce heavy snowfall on some mountains - with the risk of blizzard conditions at times - and may also give some falls of snow in places at lower levels.

Oooh now that sounds a bit more promising doesn't it? All we need now is for that 30mm of rain to turn to 30mm of SNOW!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

yup i am disapointed iv been waiting for snow since december 21st, havent seen a flake.

to hell with this cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

I don't think Met Eireann's forcast has changed but rather they are simply warning those on higher ground that there is a potential of snow there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

i will be too nearly out of drink:D oh and food..

Dam !! Food I knew I had forgotten somthing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

leahyl wrote: »
    Oooh now that sounds a bit more promising doesn't it? All we need now is for that 30mm of rain to turn to 30mm of SNOW!:D

Ahem, that would be over 30cm (i.e. 1 foot) of snow not 30mm :D.

Time to dust off those toboggan plans I had put up on the shelf since last week....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

darkman2 wrote: »
    Whatever you do don't look at the latest Met graphics for the BBC - you will only be disappointed ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

Be the hokey, thats tasty aint it !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Ahem, that would be over 30cm (i.e. 1 foot) of snow not 30mm :D.

Time to dust off those toboggan plans I had put up on the shelf since last week....

Ya that's what i meant....:p.........!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it's defo gone milder here in advance of the system, was around freezzing point all day, now the frost is melted in most of the garden, feels about 3 or 4C outside,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Definitely feeling sorry for the Eagle at this stage, he's getting a pasting over on After Hours as well from non-weather followers who just want to know if it's going to snow or not and can't get an answer from Met Eireann.

I have this vision of the Eagle sitting on his own in the Met Office tonight, chewing on a sandwich, everyone else has fecked off home for the Christmas and he's stuck there in the middle of a pile of charts and models, knowing the whole country is relying on him and trying to figure out what the hell is going on with this front that's coming in. :)

Always thought him to be a very decent fellow though, always seems to be empathising with you when its mid July and he's forecasting three more weeks of persistent rain...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Just watched the BBC1 forecast, loads of white parts for the midlands and east Wednesday. They even had Galway and Mayo on Thursday.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

are the bbc forecasters now lurking on this site too;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Am I wrong in thinking the weather presenter a.k.a The Eagle have very little input into the weather forecast. I would have thought it was a team that put together the script of weather details which he just reads ?

Opr

M2 buoy DP just went up 1.1°C in the last hour..hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

indeed saw that BBC forecast, im at a loss BBC seem snow is very likely rte snow is very unlikely, as dougal once said "im hughely confused ted"

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

indeed saw that BBC forecast, im at a loss BBC seem snow is very likely rte snow is very unlikely, as dougal once said "im hughely confused ted"

The lads here will know! No pressure!

Find them more reliable for Northern areas, not sure about Southern areas, I suppose they don't highlight the ROI.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Snow IS probable even in the snow desert Dublin, the timing is just the real question.

It was originally gonna get wintry around midday tuesday but i'm speculating that is gonna be pushed back.
    I think I'll probably have snow here from tomorrow evening onwards if there is precip here.

My best guess, is that Thursday evening many areas even at sea level will be throwing snowballs in the capital.
    Snow showers on and off, finally settling during Thursday or Wednesday further from the coast and higher up. This could be epic .

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

it has gotten a move on in the last couple of hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

i think the bbc should have a forecast for the island of ireland in the same way the do generic forecasts for europe north america etc. it makes no sence. i rember in the past they used to have a very generic forecast for the entire island in a special forecast of europe. i think its funny the way they ignore most of the island and plonk a weather symbol on northern ireland.

the ideal situation would be for a two day stall somewhere over the north midlands with the cold ene air sliding in quicker than anticipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Evening all

The temp here in Dromahair is (a scientific) absolutely freezing!! :p hubby has promised to get me a little weather station reader for birthday, as garden thermometer has failed spectacularly to accurately read temp!! ( + or - 3c said instructions, on INSIDE of box, ah if only I could believe that either but don't think on the night that it was supposed to get to around -7 to -8c here that we had a balmy -2 c)

Ice thick as ever here, and a relatively clear night. Baltic in the bbbbbathroom, and every where else for that matter.....:D

Think I will try stock up for next couple of days, although not all the way up a mountain, definitely inline for some precipitation (please let it be snow):D

Have ticket for next rollercoaster in my hand, roll on next 24-36 hours....

actually no the ideal situation may come about in seven days if the really cold air has not released its grip by that stage and an atlantic front tries its luck and is sent packing.

Cool, wind increased earlier, temp and DP shot up, now DP falling.
    Super interesting weather condiitons.

eskimocat wrote: »
    Evening all

The temp here in Dromahair is (a scientific) absolutely freezing!! :p hubby has promised to get me a little weather station reader for birthday, as garden thermometer has failed spectacularly to accurately read temp!! ( + or - 3c said instructions, on INSIDE of box, ah if only I could believe that either but don't think on the night that it was supposed to get to around -7 to -8c here that we had a balmy -2 c)

Ice thick as ever here, and a relatively clear night. Baltic in the bbbbbathroom, and every where else for that matter.....:D

Think I will try stock up for next couple of days, although not all the way up a mountain, definitely inline for some precipitation (please let it be snow):D

Have ticket for next rollercoaster in my hand, roll on next 24-36 hours....

i regret to say you maybe in the snow shield for this one.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

it has gotten a move on in the last couple of hours.

Hmm, I wonder does that bring areas further north than expected into play - Sligo/Leitrim/Fermanagh etc.

That rain today site is not the best when stuff is coming in from the southwest. How is it that it sometimes gets a radar reading for Munster and a lot of the time does not?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Come up here and say that, my friend ;)

Still thick ice and snow and a hard frost again.
    If this is record breaking cold then is this it? A few frosty mornings? No snow (well, very little). Glad I lived to see this.:pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the bbc precipitation chart is wrong in forecasting rain turning to snow over southern parts of Ireland from 3am tonight, the temperatures are still rising across the country, its now above frezzing everywhere according to met eireann. It's propably gonna be another 12 hours before it starts turning to snow in places.

• Advertisement

Hmm, I wonder does that bring areas further north than expected into play - Sligo/Leitrim/Fermanagh etc.

That rain today site is not the best when stuff is coming in from the southwest. How is it that it sometimes gets a radar reading for Munster and a lot of the time does not?

it could be a false reading or the precipitation could be moving steadily to that point then its progress may slow a great deal. i still think it's not a lock how far north this low will go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement