Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

i regret to say you maybe in the snow shield for this one.
    :(

Ah, say it aint so... :(

( lol taking that to mean that snow won't make it this far, sorry not sure what a snow shield is but it doesn't sound promising )

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

with gonzo's point in mind it must be an error on the radar

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Same here; if it's not in their back yard it doesnt count...;)
    Sligome wrote: »
    well i have been snowed in for the past two weeks with god awful road conditions, 4 inches of snow, not a bit of melting and no snow has fallen in the last week, we hit minus ten the last three nights and i now cant even walk outside as i will fall on my behind. where is the weather report for that i ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

eskimocat wrote: »
    Evening all

The temp here in Dromahair is (a scientific) absolutely freezing!!

So absolute zero yeah? That's -273 C ;) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

sdonn wrote: »
    So absolute zero yeah? That's -273 C ;) :P

Yup that sounds about right :D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Graces7 wrote: »
    Come up here and say that, my friend ;)

Still thick ice and snow and a hard frost again.

I posted the BBC NI forecast for Derry for you earlier. Giving 5 degrees next couple of days and 2 degrees at night. Wishing it over to you.

I hope there's a thaw up North and snow for all those in the East/West/South who didn't get it. No more in the NW please!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Oh; missed that

Up in the night to get warm..

And I agree!! Let it thaw...

Told the man who promised to bring coal to me that in three days i will have to start burning the furniture if it doesn't arrive. Told the landlord the same thing:) I don't think they believe me :D
    K-9 wrote: »
    I posted the BBC NI forecast for Derry for you earlier. Giving 5 degrees next couple of days and 2 degrees at night. Wishing it over to you.

I hope there's a thaw up North and snow for all those in the East/West/South who didn't get it. No more in the NW please!

dp down to 1c here now.
    That would support snow above 1000ft.
    So my coillte ski-ing lane 4 miles west of here is going to get snow from the start.
    There could be an awfull dumping up there.

Oh; missed that

Up in the night to get warm..

And I agree!! Let it thaw...

Told the man who promised to bring coal to me that in three days i will have to start burning the furniture if it doesn't arrive. Told the landlord the same thing:) I don't think they believe me :D

:D

Ach hopefully they get can something up for you. I've central heating and would be lost without it. Coped in my younger days, but sure that's the way. No Stanley Range in that cottage?

Back roads and the mountains are treacherous, even housing estates because they aren't treated.

I was out in Churchill for Xmas and bad enough. Robins very friendly and I didn't see a fox. Usually do!

It's beautiful to see, so scenic and serene, but not fun for the elderly, farmers and the wildlife!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Supercell wrote: »
    M2 buoy DP just went up 1.1°C in the last hour..hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

4c at the last reading which it says was 2 am

• Advertisement

I am sure they will, and I do still have enough for a few days and always can go back to the electricity although the thought of the bill is scary. The move when I was flooded out meant that I had to reapply for all theallowances.

Livin a decade on an offshore island was good training for these winters. I keep the cupboards well stocked always. Enough food here for a month at least

When I was there where there was central heating could not afford to use it.

And no no range. It has only been a summer let before. I will work on the landlord to put a solid fuel stove in in the huge fireplace.... I have narrowed it and put a tray across the top to boil water on.

No backboiler etc either

The Super Ser is great now.

And as soon as the roads are sorted I wil be down the mountain.

it is still fun IF we get properly stocked and equipped.

But the chaos now..

Churchill is one of my favourite places... So lovely there.

:D

Ach hopefully they get can something up for you. I've central heating and would be lost without it. Coped in my younger days, but sure that's the way. No Stanley Range in that cottage?

Back roads and the mountains are treacherous, even housing estates because they aren't treated.

I was out in Churchill for Xmas and bad enough. Robins very friendly and I didn't see a fox. Usually do!

It's beautiful to see, so scenic and serene, but not fun for the elderly, farmers and the wildlife!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Come up here and say that, my friend ;)

Still thick ice and snow and a hard frost again.

Graces7, I was being imby and subjective in that post. I was just referring to a John Eagleton's comment that this could be a record breaking cold spell. It could well be, but down here, while there has been hard frosts, freezing fogs etc, it is just hard to imagine a recorded breaking cold spell is happening simply because of the lack of snow. I realise that you have borne the brunt up there though, and my comment was not meant to undermine that at all, so apologies if it came across that way. :)

Ah I knew that and how frustrated you are re the snow. :) And I posted tongue in cheek.

Sounds bad and icy out there without the beauty too....

I don't have TV or radio so am gleaning from here only .

But even without snow?

Hoping this next while gives us all what we need and seek...

Graces7, I was being imby and subjective in that post. I was just referring to a John Eagleton's comment that this could be a record breaking cold spell. It could well be, but down here, while there has been hard frosts, freezing fogs etc, it is just hard to imagine a recorded breaking cold spell is happening simply because of the lack of snow. I realise that you have borne the brunt up there though, and my comment was not meant to undermine that at all, so apologies if it came across that way. :)

Well the UKMO model really not dropping the widespread snow theme for Ireland over the next couple of days. It's persistence in showing this scenario is notable despite temps being forecast to be above freezing throughout the next 48hrs.

This particular chart for later this evening looks ominous (in a nice way :o)

uk-2.jpg

Tomorrow afternoon (the 30th) forecast chart:

uk-1.jpg

If, and it is a very big IF that was to verify anything like it is showing, then there could potentially be some serious blizzard conditions for much of the east/midlands/west/southwest over the next 48hrs or so.

I really hope the UKMO prove right in this, although the sheer complexity of the current set up is nightmarish to say the least which I think are due to the borderline temperatures. A 1c to 2c difference can make all the difference. (difference twice)

No doubt, downgrades/upgrades over the next few hours.

Ah I knew that and how frustrated you are re the snow. :) And I posted tongue in cheek.

Sounds bad and icy out there without the beauty too....

Well the sheer and unutterable beauty of the spectacle is something that cannot be denied. I think there must a permanent frost for the last week at least. The soil in my yard has remained frozen and hard, and did not even soften during the little mild blip. One downside of the cold snap is the toll it will take on fauna. I really fear for my little potted outdoor plants. I don't think they are going to live through this. :(:(

I am sure they will, and I do still have enough for a few days and always can go back to the electricity although the thought of the bill is scary. The move when I was flooded out meant that I had to reapply for all theallowances.

Livin a decade on an offshore island was good training for these winters. I keep the cupboards well stocked always. Enough food here for a month at least

When I was there where there was central heating could not afford to use it.

And no no range. It has only been a summer let before. I will work on the landlord to put a solid fuel stove in in the huge fireplace.... I have narrowed it and put a tray across the top to boil water on.

No backboiler etc either

The Super Ser is great now.

And as soon as the roads are sorted I wil be down the mountain.

it is still fun IF we get properly stocked and equipped.

But the chaos now..

Churchill is one of my favourite places... So lovely there.

If you have to use the electricity just use it. Fan heaters are great for heat, better than storage heaters, but yes, dear. Still, better that than freezing in the cold.

I'm back in Convoy but still no thaw. Probably more chance than your goodself though it was -8 in car temps here Xmas morning.

The 2 Robins in Churchill where class. I think 1 was expecting and 1 was very thin. Could be wrong, maybe wrong season for babies. Came up right beside me to get crumbs.

I missed the foxes. Probably far too crafty to come out now! Seen a couple in the Summer time a few feet away, just staring and then wandering off. Beautiful animals. Knowing foxes, they'll be fine!

Well the sheer and unutterable beauty of the spectacle is something that cannot be denied. I think there must a permanent frost for the last week at least. The soil in my yard has remained frozen and hard, and did not even soften during the little mild blip. One downside of the cold snap is the toll it will take on fauna. I really fear for my little potted outdoor plants. I don't think they are going to live through this. :(:(

Wishing you snow here. No point getting those temps and no snow!

I just want to see this boyo first:

Arctic-Fox-00001b.jpg

Then I can die peacefully. Might have to move first!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

3c rise in temp over night! Currently 2.9c outside, howling wind and no visable frost to see. Saying that the heating hasnt cut in this morning and the house is freeezing! Off to work in a few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Near Gale force gusts in Cork. Plenty of rain. Proper miserable south coast weather. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Colder than Iceland

SNA291511N-682_956020a.jpg

Frozen over ... the River Dee as it flows through Aberdeen

By GORDON TAIT
    Published: Today

SCOTS shivered in sub-zero temperatures yesterday as the country turned colder than Iceland.

The mercury plunged to -16.7°C (1.9°F) in Tyndrum, Stirlingshire - almost 15°C colder than the icy nation's capital Reykjavik.

SNA2915ZA-380_956019a.jpg Take a white turn ... snow in the Highlands

The River Dee froze in Aberdeen as many northern parts also fell to minus double figures - colder than chilly destinations across the globe.

SNA2915AZ-180_956031a.jpg Ice day ... lowest temperature

The Met Office issued severe weather warnings with more ice on the way.
    A spokesman said: "It was the coldest night this winter. In the next few days temperatures will struggle to go above zero. Hogmanay and New Year will be bitterly cold."
    On the roads, the A75 was closed near Stranraer and the A9 was blocked near Perth with a jack-knifed lorry.

Medical staff were also under pressure with injuries on dangerous streets.

A Scottish Ambulance Service spokesman said: "Since Christmas we have dealt with over 100 people who have fallen due to icy conditions."

But the freeze brought a boom for ski slopes at Cairngorm, Glenshee and the Lecht. Resort bosses said it's the best start to the season for years.
    Heavy snow was expected last night in Grampian, Orkney and Shetland, the Highlands and the Western Isles.
    Bookies have given a white New Year odds of 7/4 in Edinburgh and 1/2 in Glasgow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

nesf wrote: »
    Near Gale force gusts in Cork. Plenty of rain. Proper miserable south coast weather. :p

Same here in Waterford City. More mentions of possible snow at lower levels in the latest forecast from Met eireann. Hopefully temps will drop in the next 6 to 12 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

mickger wrote: »
    Same here in Waterford City. More mentions of possible snow at lower levels in the latest forecast from Met eireann. Hopefully temps will drop in the next 6 to 12 hours.

Those forecasts are for inland Munster though rather than the coast. :(

Met.ie latest forecast:

National Forecast
    hr.gif

29 December 2009 05:23

Today
    Rain will persist across Munster and south Leinster, and will spread into north Leinster and parts of Connacht during the day. It will be heavy in places, and will fall as snow on mountains - and as the day goes on it may turn to snow at times lower down in some inland parts of Munster and south Leinster. Further north it will stay dry. It will be cold and windy everywhere, with highest temperatures between 1 and 6 C.
    Tonight

Tonight it will continue cold, windy and overcast. Parts of the north and northwest may stay dry but most or all of the country will have some precipitation - largely rain or sleet in many areas but with further heavy snowfall on some mountains and with an ongoing risk of snow in places lower down also. Lowest temperatures will range 0 to 5 C, coldest in the north.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Continuing windy and generally cold and overcast tomorrow with further widespread outbreaks of rain, sleet or snow. Somewhat milder weather spreading into southern areas as the day goes on. Highest temperatures ranging 1 to 8 C.

Outlook

Cold spell continuing into the New Year. WEDNESDAY NIGHT, THURSDAY (NEW YEAR'S EVE) : Outbreaks of rain, sleet or snow in many areas at first, gradually moving away southwestwards Wednesday night or early Thursday as drier weather spreads from the north to all parts. Most places then staying dry through Thursday and Thursday night - but scattered heavy sleet or snow showers likely in the east and southeast, perhaps along the north and northwest coasts too. Strong, chilling northeasterly windy at first, easing off for Thursday night, allowing a widespread hard frost to develop, with a risk of icy conditions again. FRIDAY (NEW YEAR'S DAY), SATURDAY : Very cold. Dry throughout in most areas, but an ongoing possibility of scattered heavy sleet or snow showers - the north and northwest most at risk overall, though eastern areas still at risk on Friday. Widespread hard frosts, with ice and freezing fog in places - may linger through the day at times. As on Thursday night, nighttime temperatures falling to - 5 C or lower in places. Winds much lighter overall than on previous days, northerly or variable in direction.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

Chilly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Just drove into work. Now in Ballincollig. Heavy Rain, 4.0c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

heavy rain and quite windy here too.The precip seems to have stalled in a line from Galway to Dublin ,any reports of the white stuff at the leading edge?

Cover them with plastic?
    Like a tent....

And at least all the bugs will be dead now in the soil.

The frozen snow is so hard now in the field both the dogs run atop it while I sink to the knees. A rich and satisfying CRUNCH

That is a savage wind today...

Nail biter here!!!

Ulster
    29 December 2009- updated at 06:00
    Today

Cold. Windy. Dry for much or all of the day. Hazy sunshine in places. Chance of a little rain, sleet or snow later in the south.

Tonight

Cold and windy. Scattered outbreaks of rain, sleet or snow, mainly in the south and east. Frost in places, but not as widespread as recent nights.

Tomorrow

Cold, windy and overcast. Outbreaks of rain, sleet or snow in many areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

Windy overnight here too, just starting to rain aswell. Martin King doing breakfast show on Today FM has said a lot of rain over the next few days to come!:mad:

• Advertisement

Cute....

Nearly "collected" a hare last time I was out..

Wishing you snow here. No point getting those temps and no snow!

I just want to see this boyo first:

Arctic-Fox-00001b.jpg

Then I can die peacefully. Might have to move first!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement