Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I feel it in my fingers
    I feel it in my toes
    Snow will be all around us
    It will be everywhere we go.

Temperatures here in north Kilkenny are on the march southwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Just started snowing here. :)

Edit: Actually, its not! Rain just skimming to the south of town but not making it in. Temp rising a little in a stiff breeze. 2.7c.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

2.1c here. Heavy Rain. Was milder earlier, 3.0c at 5:35am

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Min wrote: »
    I feel it in my fingers
    I feel it in my toes
    Snow will be all around us
    It will be everywhere we go.

Temperatures here in north Kilkenny are on the march southwards.
    Aye, keep us informed. What are the temps/dewpoint currently?

Are you in the hills around North Kilkenny? Castlecomer plateau?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Blizzard here in south Kerry. Got a temp of 0.4c. Snow on windows facing east up three or four inches. Haven't seen anything like this in years. :eek:

Edit....we are a couple of hundred meters asl but its not like we're on top of a mountain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Are you at a high elevation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

200motels wrote: »
    It's 7C in my garden, your temp would be more reliable. Do you think we'll get any snow?

I think there is a chance if the temps keep failing but as you probably know we never get snow here. I just get a feeling this time it could be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Those TAFs show plenty of potential for snow in this marginal situation.

You seem to be really anti snow today? A negative nelly!

I disagree about your use of the word plenty. PROB30 in a TAF is the forecasters way of saying I have to mention the possibility but it most likely won't happen. PROB40 is a step up on that, so if we see that on the 11Z TAFs then there will be SOME potential for snow.

And believe me I want snow more than anyone. I just don't think we'll get it at low levels by this time tomorrow:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

just been down to feed the horse.lashing rain and an easterly wind that would cut you in two.nearest iwn station (Charleville 10miles away) says 3.6c but the windchill makes it feel a hell of a lot colder.

paddybar wrote: »
    just been down to feed the horse.lashing rain and an easterly wind that would cut you in two.nearest iwn station (Charleville 10miles away) says 3.6c but the windchill makes it feel a hell of a lot colder.

Certainly a sting in that wind Paddybar. Windchill here at -3c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Just started snowing here. :)

Edit: Actually, its not! Rain just skimming to the south of town but not making it in. Temp rising a little in a stiff breeze. 2.7c.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

so this radar must definitely be wonky then. as it showed snow over your area.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Blizzard here in south Kerry. Got a temp of 0.4c. Snow on windows facing east up three or four inches. Haven't seen anything like this in years. :eek:

Edit....we are a couple of hundred meters asl but its not like we're on top of a mountain.
    yeah if you are 600ft or higher,I'm not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

What are the chances of the north west gettimg more of the white stuff through new years's ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

DO ANY OF YOU LOT EVER SLEEP?! :eek:

Wild and windy (and wet) down here. Tis almost warm.

Su Campu wrote: »
    I disagree about your use of the word plenty. PROB30 in a TAF is the forecasters way of saying I have to mention the possibility but it most likely won't happen. PROB40 is a step up on that, so if we see that on the 11Z TAFs then there will be SOME potential for snow.

And believe me I want snow more than anyone. I just don't think we'll get it at low levels by this time tomorrow:(

Su Campo. Those TAF readings, how are the decoded? They allude me completely. Also, what forecast/institution/model are they based on? Tanx. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

yeah if you are 600ft or higher,I'm not surprised.

I'm only visiting here for the Christmas and not sure of height but you've got me curious now so I must find that out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

mike65 wrote: »
    DO ANY OF YOU LOT EVER SLEEP?! :eek:

Wild and windy (and wet) down here. Tis almost warm.
    I hav'nt had a decent nights sleep since I stumbled across this forum.Facinating stuff and a nice bunch of people

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

so this radar must definitely be wonky then. as it showed snow over your area.

Scrap that radar Nacho Libre. It is useless, esp here for the west since they don't seem to incorporate Shannon radar too well at all.

Rain edge is no more that 2 miles to my south as it is dark grey that side all morning but for some reason, it just does not want to make it up as far as here.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kenskool

there is a little bit of dizzle at the mo. But could there be snow this eveining or 2moro.{i really want snow} by the way im 320 metres above sea lv.:D

Su Campu wrote: »

I'd have to point out that they could be wrong.
    Met people often are right and often are wrong.
    For dublin airport though today my hunch is they are probably right.
    I'd put high ground inland in south dublin and in very populated areas eg Kilternan especially across to lamb doyles at prob 70 to be honest, and even down as far as leopardstown could see wet snow at times and around Tallaght up to Ballinteer and Rathfarnham-that type of area.
    But more probably up in glencullen across to kilternan around to lamb doyles-johnny foxes-that type of area and obviously at three rock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Temp and dew point falling away now, i expect to start seeing sleety stuff by around 12 and probably full on snow by about 16:00, time to start stocking up essential provisions/alcohol.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

is it all moving north-east wards or northwards? Just wondering as the main heavy stuff seems to be all along the west and it looks a bit patchy all along the east coast? Looks like a clearance into Wexford already.

Su Campo. Those TAF readings, how are the decoded? They allude me completely. Also, what forecast/institution/model are they based on? Tanx. :)
    They are entirely Met Eireanns thoughts.
    They have a team located at Dublin airport for definite.
    I'd imagine the Taf's are generated in Glasnevin with input from the airport or the other way around so it's whatever Glasnevin are using today and isn't that usually ecm/hirlam and a phone/conference call /multiple email too'ing and fro'ing with Exeter?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Supercell wrote: »
    Temp and dew point falling away now, i expect to start seeing sleety stuff by around 12 and probably full on snow by about 16:00, time to start stocking up essential provisions/alcohol.

Yup, alot of snow to fall over you in the coming days.

45mm of precip expected in the next 48 hours :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

They are generated by the Met Éireann Aviaton Meteorology division at Shannon Airport so have full human input. They will use the same models as the rest of MÉ

Here's some more info http://www.flyingineurope.be/metar_taf_decode.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gonzo wrote: »
    is it all moving north-east wards or northwards? Just wondering as the main heavy stuff seems to be all along the west and it looks a bit patchy all along the east coast? Looks like a clearance into Wexford already.

Yes mate as expected, front to make very slow progress north through the day. Heaviest stuff beginning to reach this area by around 8pm this evening.

Meanwhile rain has just started here... and so it begins... al very long 48 hours ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Still lots of rain, and wind here. Temp at 3.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Morn guys, need some help please.

My home is 900ft asl, we have no water at the moment & therefore no heating. Last night we retreated to rellies down the road, 1 mile away, 400ft lower.

At the rellies this morning it was about 2c, raining. I have just come home and its a blizzard, about an inch of 'mush' on the floor.

Water is running down the drainpipes so it seems things are melting slightly slower than they are accumulating just now.

Q. Is there going to be more or less snow here at home by the end of today?

I ask this as we have 2 little ones and the thought of being cut off with no heating does not appeal. Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just found the height here at 656ft

See

http://www.earthtools.org/
    SeaFields wrote: »
    I'm only visiting here for the Christmas and not sure of height but you've got me curious now so I must find that out. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

cian1500ww wrote: »
    What are the chances of the north west gettimg more of the white stuff through new years's ??

it looks like you could do well on saturday. as a feature seems to form off the north west on that day

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement