Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Su Campu wrote: »
    They are generated by the Met Éireann Aviaton Meteorology division at Shannon Airport so have full human input. They will use the same models as the rest of MÉ

Here's some more info http://www.flyingineurope.be/metar_taf_decode.htm

Cheers for that link Su. Will study in detail to get the aul gist of things. Are TAF's freely available? if so, where could I get the one for Galway and Knock? Cheers for your patience. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

ch750536 wrote: »
    Morn guys, need some help please.

My home is 900ft asl, we have no water at the moment & therefore no heating. Last night we retreated to rellies down the road, 1 mile away, 400ft lower.

At the rellies this morning it was about 2c, raining. I have just come home and its a blizzard, about an inch of 'mush' on the floor.

Water is running down the drainpipes so it seems things are melting slightly slower than they are accumulating just now.

Q. Is there going to be more or less snow here at home by the end of today?

I ask this as we have 2 little ones and the thought of being cut off with no heating does not appeal. Thanks for any help.

i think you should get out of there immediately. as it'll likely turn nasty on high ground by evening this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Too cold here to sleep through the night...

We work here in shifts!
    mike65 wrote: »
    DO ANY OF YOU LOT EVER SLEEP?! :eek:

Wild and windy (and wet) down here. Tis almost warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

Weathercheck - Is everything currently going as you expected yesterday, for snow to happen within the next 24hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

:)
    paddybar wrote: »
    I hav'nt had a decent nights sleep since I stumbled across this forum.Facinating stuff and a nice bunch of people

• Advertisement

Rain in Galway city but still cold. There was frost last night but that had cleared this morning (9am). Still some ice in a couple of sheltered spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Cheers for that link Su. Will study in detail to get the aul gist of things. Are TAF's freely available? if so, where could I get the one for Galway and Knock? Cheers for your patience. :)

I use http://adds.aviationweather.gov/metars/ which is free, you can find a list of all stations on
    http://adds.aviationweather.gov/metars/stations.txt

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Massive blizzard here guys, in the last 20 mins the DP must have dropped, snow now accumulating rapidly.

Am going to rellies but have timelapse camera setup to record all this (set it up last night just in case.)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Super stuff!

Looks like the fun is preicted to start in Dublin area around 15:00 :-

EIDW 290500Z 2906/3006 07020G35KT 9999 SCT015 BKN020
    TEMPO 2906/3006 08025G40KT
    TEMPO 2908/3006 4000 RA SCT006 BKN010
    PROB30
    TEMPO 2915/3006 3000 RASN BKN006

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just looked out the window and thought I could see some sleet in the rain - sleet confirmed by checking the velux roof window! :)

3.4c here now, DP 2.7c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Morning all - lashing rain here in cork city:( looks like the eagle was right! Please someone try to convince me otherwise - that this horrible rain will turn to the lovely White stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

it looks like you could do well on saturday. as a feature seems to form off the north west on that day
    Thanks nacho libre :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

How do you think we'll be fixed in Navan over the next 24 hours?

They are freely available paddy on wunderground.

http://www.wunderground.com/Aviation/index.html?query=EIKN#METAR

thats the one for knock airport for instance.

Expecting snow there from noon :)

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Just looked out the window and thought I could see some sleet in the rain - sleet confirmed by checking the velux roof window! :)

3.4c here now, DP 2.7c
    Yes lol-you're near enough to lamb doyles aren't you ?
    Like I said populated areas from kilternan down to you and across to even Tallagh and ballinteer and possibly as low as leopardstown could see white stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

3.9C in Maynooth, fallen from 5C at around 10:20 when I extracted myself from bed. Drizzly rain at present, but the ground is wet from overnight precip - mostly rain as well, I reckon. There was frost and fog yesterday evening, but no trace now. Wind is occasionally strong - force 4 gusting to 6, I'd guess.

The sky does not look "snow-ish" to me at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Temperature in cork right now is 3.5c, over the last couple of days, i have seem i rise in temperature between the hours of 11 and 5. My question to the folks that have a good understanding is wether or not temperatures in Cork are expected to rise or drop in the next couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

You're gonna love the timelapse of this, leaving to return to rellies, 2 inches of snow now sitting, blizzard conditions, easterly.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yes lol-you're near enough to lamb doyles aren't you ?
    Like I said populated areas from kilternan down to you and across to even Tallagh and ballinteer and possibly as low as leopardstown could see white stuff.

Yes, not far but down hill, just opposite Marley Park. 3.3c now with DP 2.6c - still sleet in the rain.

I am so depressed at this present moment - I HATE rain:mad:

• Advertisement

ch750536 wrote: »
    You're gonna love the timelapse of this, leaving to return to rellies, 2 inches of snow now sitting, blizzard conditions, easterly.

Sounds pretty serious CH. Anychance you might give that band of rain/snow a kick up the arse while you are down there. Just won't come over me at all!

leahyl wrote: »

Never mind Leahyl. At least you are in Cork, so that is something to cling onto. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

leahyl wrote: »

oh that's it. i can't take it anymore. i'm driving down there with a snow machine:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Rain here, depressing rain :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yes, not far but down hill, just opposite Marley Park. 3.3c now with DP 2.6c - still sleet in the rain.

I'm beside lamb doyles, Can't see any sleet in the rain here.
    Roll on 15:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

SeaFields wrote: »
    I'm only visiting here for the Christmas and not sure of height but you've got me curious now so I must find that out. :)

you can find your height here http://www.earthtools.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

4/2 in Dublin Airport now.

We need that to hit 3/0 and then we will start getting some interesting reports.

Good few hours till that though i would think.

Dew point looks like sticking to around 0.5c i reckon and then lowering to subzero during decent precip.

Its a 1c game today folks.;)

oh that's it. i can't take it anymore. i'm driving down there with a snow machine:D

You mean the "Chrimbo Babe" machine?

Become him and I will personally drive up there and slap you in the face.

Twice. :D

Never mind Leahyl. At least you are in Cork, so that is something to cling onto. :)

that's true I could be in galway:eek:!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Elmo5 wrote: »
    Rain here, depressing rain :(:(:(

This was expected.

Nobody around Dublin apart from the mountains should expect any snow until at least 8pm. As said constantly throughout the thread.

Midland areas and Wicklow mountains may start seeing some before that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement