Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Clouded over now but no rain still.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Nacho,
    yes the cloud ahead of the rain is over a wide area.
    http://www.met.ie/sat/iuk-ir.asp

Dunno how that will affect frost further north,it will probably impair it.

The band looks further south on the 12z

Also the latest news 24 graphics has the whole of co wexford right to the coast under heavy snow by tomorrow after noon :eek:

And how's cork looking on that chart Nacho?!:)

I'm not nacho lol but the BBC news 24 chart would have snow over most of kerry by the same time,north cork across to west waterford.
    Much of Northwest cork like say macroom,millstreet,Fermoy south to almost the city but not quite.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

hey Black Briar, are you expecting any snow in our direction??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

12z GFS trends another 50 miles south.

I reckon it will trend probably another 80 miles south over the next 2 runs.

Leaving Ireland in a situation where snow will begin to fall from tomorrow evening across a large part of the country and continue to fall for over 24 hours or more in parts.

Potential for very large accumulations of snow, perhaps over 1ft in some inland hilly areas as band of precip feed from the east across the country as the low stalls to our south only slowly slipping away.

Severe Weather potential, the sheer amount of snow that could potentially fall between tomorrow and Thursday/Friday is massive. I haven't ever seen a synoptic set up offer such an extreme possibility.

There is the realistic liklihood that the Wicklow mountains could see over 2 feet of accumulated snow.

An extreme weather watch should be put in place.

• Advertisement

I'm not nacho lol but the BBC news 24 chart would have snow over most of kerry by the same time,north cork across to west waterford.
    Much of Northwest cork like say macroom,millstreet,Fermoy south to almost the city but not quite.

oops sorry black briar:eek:! OH no! No joy for the city then...ah well...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

-1c here most of the day. light cloud cover as well. Just driven home on back roads, an 8 min journey has just taken 30 mins. People are still driving like idiots. None of the roads my way seem to have been touched with grit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Nacho,
    yes the cloud ahead of the rain is over a wide area.
    http://www.met.ie/sat/iuk-ir.asp

Dunno how that will affect frost further north,it will probably impair it.

The band looks further south on the 12z

Also the latest news 24 graphics has the whole of co wexford right to the coast under heavy snow by tomorrow after noon :eek:

Now there's a surprise! If only it would happen :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

Any chance of this hitting dundalk or are we too north and too coastal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No one has the balls to do so it would seem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

There is the realistic liklihood that the Wicklow mountains could see over 2 feet of accumulated snow.

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

north dublin have a good chance this time round?:p

missloulou wrote: »
    hey Black Briar, are you expecting any snow in our direction??
    Arklow?
    Yes from this system eventually.
    It's very hard to say.
    But after it passes,there will be plenty of sea showers likely to be all of snow.

It's hit an miss where they appear in off the sea as they come in trains one after the other as they develop and hit the same area yet not hit 10 miles up the road.
    Thats for later.

I would hazzard a guess that this system in the next 36hrs will plaster most of the higher ground of south wicklow with snow.

I hope I haven't jinxed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

ny chance of snow hitting kilkenny we never get snow

Snow storm followed by bitter Northeasterlies.

All within 84 hours. :eek::D

Rtavn841.png

Weathercheck, you got like 3 feet of air that time :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK8byQsugFw

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

it's going to be fascinating seeing what the outputs from the various models are this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

too late now regretting the debate over whose responsibility it was to grit the road:rolleyes:

Happens every year - Our local coco sold off the road sweepers & the gritters... Thats grand & dandy till they go try rent one ... tools they are ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Lady_North

north dublin have a good chance this time round?:p

?? Any one? Love a snow shower or two. Especially as I don't have to go anywhere for the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Arklow?
    Yes from this system eventually.
    It's very hard to say.
    But after it passes,there will be plenty of sea showers likely to be all of snow.

It's hit an miss where they appear in off the sea as they come in trains one after the other as they develop and hit the same area yet not hit 10 miles up the road.
    Thats for later.

I would hazzard a guess that this system in the next 36hrs will plaster most of the higher ground of south wicklow with snow.

I hope I haven't jinxed it.

yep the likes of supercell could be snowed in by Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

channaigh wrote: »
    ny chance of snow hitting kilkenny we never get snow
    Same here in Waterford, I don't think we'll see any, you might have a better chance than us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Rtavn841.png

WC - stop exciting me ..................................................................:D:D:D:D:D

Lady_North wrote: »
    ?? Any one? Love a snow shower or two. Especially as I don't have to go anywhere for the next few days.

Yeah, there's great potential for heavy snow showers in the east after this system passes :)

yes- good chance of kilkenny snow.

*health warning* this could still go wrong-we're only suggesting what looks like happening.

Rtavn841.png

Weathercheck elaborate please for those of us who cannot read these charts! Widespread snow???!!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Will this synoptic setup suit the likes of south kerry? The influence of the warm atlantic always seems to ruin it for us and i dont think this time round that the cold air will reach this far SW in time. Also i noticed last week that the montains act like the mother of all snow shields.:rolleyes:

There is potential for a snow storm tomorrow and through into Wednesday.

Then there will be heavy snow showers plastering the east coast Thursday/Friday/Saturday.

Thats how things look at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The 12pm GFS has dew points above 0c everywhere until 6am Thursday. Looks like a rain event on that run.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Any chance of that precipitation coming up from the South at the moment falling as snow in North Tipp?;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Whats Athlones chances of snow?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement