Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Jake1 wrote: »
    I just got up, Im dying with a head cold so take pity. Can someone tell me breiflyif Dublin west might get any snow and when? I havent the energy to read through the whole thread.:)

soon enough,
    check out Wolfie post 557, just before you posted this and check the charts they look super cool :D

yes about 500ft up, started as rain last night, heavy sleet this morning and now wet snow
    Where in cork though? the city near the airport or the county and near what town? north east south or west.
    I reckoned yesterday that millstreet to macroom were going to get snow out of this today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

12Z temperature/dewpoints from around the country

(Casement Aerodrome) 4/3
    (Belmullet) 5/2
    (Ballyhaise) 2/0
    (Claremorris) 3/0
    (Cork Airport) 3/3
    (Dublin Airport) 4/3
    (Finner) 3/-1
    (Gurteen) 3/2
    (Johnstown Castle) 4/3
    (Connaught Airport) 1/-1
    (Mace Head) 3/2
    (Malin Head) 4/-0
    (Mullingar) 3/2
    (Oak Park) 3/2
    (Roches Point) 5/5
    (Shannon Airport) 4/2
    (Sherkin Island) 6/5
    (Valentia Observatory) 4/2
    (KERRY (FARRANFORE)) 3/2
    (SLIGO) 3/0
    (WATERFORD) 4/3

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

too true BB nature has a way of surprising all of us

glossy wrote: »
    soon enough,
    check out Wolfie post 557, just before you posted this and check the charts they look super cool :D

Thanks Glossy:)

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote: »
    I can now confirm sleet almost right on the east coast.

Where abouts are you?

Thanks for that.
    I still have to point out though that it is an opinion rather similar to Mr Eagletons last night.
    Ergo it has a chance of being wrong.

Of course it's just an opinion - that's what any forecast is!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Where in cork though? the city near the airport or the county and near what town? north east south or west.
    I reckoned yesterday that millstreet to macroom were going to get snow out of this today.

I think he mentioned yesterday being between ballincollig and macroom so you're not far off!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

No - I am between Ballincollig and Macroom, and nothing but rain here today.

Su Campu wrote: »
    Of course it's just an opinion - that's what any forecast is!
    To be fair to the met,they are professionals caught between a rock and a hard place in marginals like this.
    They've made the call for rain BUT to be honest if I was living in Rathfarham or anywhere along the road around lamb doyles across to kilternan and 1000's do and I got snow when the forecast was rain I'd be angry with the met.
    Well I personally wouldn't but you'd here it from people with less understanding of the difficultuies of forecasting.
    Thats why it's always better for them to say,there is a risk.
    It may not happen but be prepared for it to happen and be glad if it doesn't.

Factoring that type of language into local forecasts isn't a bad idea.

Theres no mention of snow for laragh or roundwood today on local radio that I've heard for instance which is stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

sleet now gone,just a light drizzle now

leahyl wrote: »
    I think he mentioned yesterday being between ballincollig and macroom so you're not far off!;)
    Gavin H is but where is january snowstorm ? the poster that is ,I wanted to know where he is located?

GavinH wrote: »
    No - I am between Ballincollig and Macroom, and nothing but rain here today.

Oops sorry!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

4.4C Dp 3.0C
    No sign of sleet. Dp steady for past 6 hours
    5mm rain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

WOW
    Just seen eageltons forecast from last night!
    Stuff of dreams ,talks about major snow events , oh yeah!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Theres no mention of snow for laragh or roundwood today on local radio that I've heard for instance which is stupid.
    We know to ignore the local radio regarding the general forecast and then quote a temp from their studio and add 2 random locations to where that temp is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

1 inch of snow reported on the Radio in Kanturk Co. Cork

To be fair to the met,they are professionals caught between a rock and a hard place in marginals like this.
    They've made the call for rain BUT to be honest if I was living in Rathfarham or anywhere along the road around lamb doyles across to kilternan and 1000's do and I got snow when the forecast was rain I'd be angry with the met.
    Well I personally wouldn't but you'd here it from people with less understanding of the difficultuies of forecasting.
    Thats why it's always better for them to say,there is a risk.
    It may not happen but be prepared for it to happen and be glad if it doesn't.

Factoring that type of language into local forecasts isn't a bad idea.

I think they did this morning?

Leinster
    29 December 2009- updated at 06:00

Today

Cold. Windy. Overcast. Wet weather spreading northwards to most or all parts. Heavy snowfall on some mountains. Rain may turn to snow at times lower down also in some inland areas.

Tonight

Continuing cold, windy and overcast. Further widespread precipitation - rain in many areas, but further snowfall on mountains, again a risk snow in places lower down inland.

Tomorrow

Cold, windy and overcast. Further widespread rain or sleet. Continuing risk of heavy mountain snow, and of snow at times inland lower down. 2-day totals reaching 30 mm or more in places

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Gavin H is but where is january snowstorm ? the poster that is ,I wanted to know where he is located?

I beleive he is in East Cork somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Leinster
    29 December 2009- updated at 06:00

Today

Cold. Windy. Overcast. Wet weather spreading northwards to most or all parts. Heavy snowfall on some mountains. Rain may turn to snow at times lower down also in some inland areas.

Tonight

Continuing cold, windy and overcast. Further widespread precipitation - rain in many areas, but further snowfall on mountains, again a risk snow in places lower down inland.

Tomorrow

Cold, windy and overcast. Further widespread rain or sleet. Continuing risk of heavy mountain snow, and of snow at times inland lower down. 2-day totals reaching 30 mm or more in places

Laragh & Roundwood are always a given for snow out this way ... beautiful up there in the snow

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »
    WOW
    Just seen eageltons forecast from last night!
    Stuff of dreams ,talks about major snow events , oh yeah!!!
    Yeah baby!! Woohoo!! I have a feeling though that I'll have to wait untill the new year myself... Oh well I've waited this long...

It's a pity we don't have those soundings for Dublin.
    Valentia is pretty useless to us to be honest.

They don't send the baloons up in Dublin though do they.

I can see a fog of snow across the very highest ground here now ,I'd say down to about 1500ft at best.
    I'll be driving up there in about a few hours and will bring video.

It's a pity we don't have those soundings for Dublin.
    Valentia is pretty useless to us to be honest.

They don't send the baloons up in Dublin though do they.

I can see a fog of snow across the very highest ground here now ,I'd say down to about 1500ft at best.
    I'll be driving up there in about a few hours and will bring video.

No, only Valentia and Castor Bay, near Belfast. But you can get GFS forecast soundings for any lat/long here http://www.arl.noaa.gov/READYcmet.php

I think it's not specific enough.
    They shouldn't be afraid to mention places.
    The donegal incident has a lot to answer for in that respect.

I also think it would be no harm to be telling local radio stations of whats coming-thats especially true of thursday onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its sleeting pretty heavy here now.
    Just back from the shops, the sleet stops just around Laragh and turns into rain, its purely a height thing.
    My DP is on the rise again, I hope that this front stalls soon!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

No, only Valentia and Castor Bay, near Belfast. But you can get GFS forecast soundings for any lat/long here http://www.arl.noaa.gov/READYcmet.php
    Oh I know about the gfs ones.
    I'd love to have the actual though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Was there a bad snow about 20-22 years ago in Dublin?? ( domestic going on here over it )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

I am delighted to report that it is now snowing here. Snow also reported in parts of County Limerick making a bad situation worse for some.

COUNTY COUNCIL BATTLE TO RESTORE WEST LIMERICK WATER SUPPLY 29 December 2009
    Water tankers have been deployed to four areas of West Limerick, left without water due to the freezing weather conditions.
    The tankers, located in the church grounds in Mountcollins and Tournafulla, The Square in Abbeyfeale and the Creamery Yard in Athea, will remain for daylight hours today for the thousands of people who have been affected.
    Limerick Council Council says the water supply from the Abbeyfeale Water Scheme has been hit due to multiple burst pipes due to the freezing weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

EAST CORK NEAR MIDLETON, DRY NOW FOR A WHILE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

jenzz wrote: »
    Was there a bad snow about 20-22 years ago in Dublin?? ( domestic going on here over it )

Yeah think so remember Joe Duffy has show about not too long ago

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement