Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Oh I know about the gfs ones.
    I'd love to have the actual though.

Wouldn't we all!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

EAST CORK NEAR MIDLETON, DRY NOW FOR A WHILE

Oh god i need some of that! Perhaps that's why it has stopped in Midelton - it's on its way to the Northside of Cork City:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

dave1982 wrote: »
    Yeah think so remember Joe Duffy has show about not too long ago

I was about 10 & remember it being up over my knees. Head honcho here telling me I imagining it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

Has there me a weather forecast on yet today on RTE? Have they said anything about snow today/Tmrw? Raining here in Dublin City Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Ok correct me if i am wrong, but in order for Cork to get snow, we will need a temp and dp drop, and need the low to the NE to push the precip band back down south....Is that likely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

jenzz wrote: »
    I was about 10 & remember it being up over my knees. Head honcho here telling me I imagining it
    1982 the year of the big snow, theres a great thread all about it in the weather pictures forum.

I lived in Dalkey at the time and there was about a foot of snow even at sea level, pretty remarkable. It also hung around for over a week even there.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx#V1,571425,765081,1

excellent site. thanks su campu.

meanwhile, light rain has just started to fall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

GavinH wrote: »
    Ok correct me if i am wrong, but in order for Cork to get snow, we will need a temp and dp drop, and need the low to the NE to push the precip band back down south....Is that likely?

It is certainly going to happen but not until tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The donegal incident has a lot to answer for in that respect.
    What incident is that briar?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/

Seems to show a lot of snow for Ireland at 3pm moving in from the south! Is this likely to happen??:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Supercell wrote: »
    1982 the year of the big snow, theres a great thread all about it in the weather pictures forum.

I lived in Dalkey at the time and there was about a foot of snow even at sea level, pretty remarkable. It also hung around for over a week even there.

I was living in Bray at the time, was also 10 years old. I remember it well. The helicopters having to bring the milk and supplies in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

The 18Z Low Level aviation forecast chart is out. No upgrade on the 12Z, localised snow on high ground.

100168.png

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

Not sure if these are any good!

GavinH wrote: »
    I was living in Bray at the time, was also 10 years old. I remember it well. The helicopters having to bring the milk and supplies in.

Oh no I remember that 1 I was 5.. walking on top of the 2 ft of snow... No there was another 1 when I was about 10.. We had a farm at bottom of Catty Gallagher & there was about 2 ft of snow.. I remember going up the top field & sleding all way back down.... Late 80s maybe ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

If it's ok with people, please post where exactly you are reporting snow.

So far we have two areas. Maybe we could update this chart every half hour or hour. I'll keep a tab on locations and update map.

Pangea wrote: »
    What incident is that briar?
    When ME forecasted snow in Donegal and a lot of things were cancelled and it rained and a lot of businessmen complained and in fact threatened law suits..

It was around this time Gerry Murphy's brain was sent for programme updates and the word snow was attached to the phrase on high ground at night and the word shleet was implanted.

Interesting to see where snow is now falling,it's in populated areas and not just on isolated mountain tops.

Oh no I remember that 1 I was 5.. walking on top of the 2 ft of snow... No there was another 1 when I was about 10.. We had a farm at bottom of Catty Gallagher & there was about 2 ft of snow.. I remember going up the top field & sleding all way back down.... Late 80s maybe ??
    No electricity here at sea level outside Arklow for 3 whole days as the snow 3 inches thick on the lines snapped them.
    The esb crews were marooned..
    Drifts in the ditches lasted a good 10 days or more after the rain and mild came,they were so high originally.

When ME forecasted snow in Donegal and a lot of things were cancelled and it rained and a lot of businessmen complained and in fact threatened law suits..

It was around this time Gerry Murphy's brain was sent for programme updates and the word snow was attached to the phrase on high ground at night and the word shleet was implanted.

Interesting to see where snow is now falling,it's in populated areas and not just on isolated mountain tops.

They're damned if they do and damned if they don't! :rolleyes:

Where are you getting the snow reports?

Trying very hard to snow here now, alternating between sleet and proper snow, temperature falling again. Probably evaporative cooling in the heavier bursts.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just seen the bbc forecast, shows snow showers at different times in northern ireland in the next few days, of course the main white band that was clearly visibile on the radar was in the south of ireland but being a UK forecaster he simply ignored it. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Su Campu wrote: »
    They're damned if they do and damned if they don't! :rolleyes:

Where are you getting the snow reports?

Do you mind me asking. Do you have any connection to ME ?

I only ask as your stance re the weather always seems to be in line with theirs and you become very defensive when someone says anything negative in regards to them.

(Just to say your posts are generally very good and of a very technical nature so I am sure you know what your talking about, I am just curious to know if you have any connection.)

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It would be very useful if people put their locations and elevations into their profiles so that we could see at a glance instead of having to ask and then remember where they are and how high! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Northside of Cork City: Just a very heavy mist here now..sigh..:( foggy too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

3miles north of claregalway, sleet and snow,

snow becoming more promient, strong wind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

3.4C here at the moment with some rain; not sure of DP but I notice at Dub AP it's risen from 2C to 3C between 12 and 1!

Doyler1981 wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

Not sure if these are any good!

They show us all getting a go by about 9pm tonight.... - Priorities go to pot really - Shopping list was coffee, smokies & diet coke lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    It would be very useful if people put their locations and elevations into their profiles so that we could see at a glance instead of having to ask and then remember where they are and how high! :)
    c'mon guys it only takes a minute and will save us all a lot of where are you? posts

Supercell wrote: »
    Trying very hard to snow here now, alternating between sleet and proper snow, temperature falling again. Probably evaporative cooling in the heavier bursts.

Ah lovely - Im watching the dublin mountains here - There is something dumping up there now - may only be rain but its a manky dirty cloud......

• Advertisement

I just called into work and said its too dangerious to drive, this stuff better not turn back to rain or I'm in trouble tomorrow!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement