Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

opr wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking. Do you have any connection to ME ?

I only ask as your stance re the weather always seems to be in line with theirs and you become very defensive when someone says anything negative in regards to them.

Opr

I've absolutely no connection with ME whatsoever. I just happen to think they do a great job (most of the time) and get a lot of unjustified criticism by the public in general and by some on here. They were spot on last week, and I think they're spot on this week too.

If someone accuses them of not stating there will be snow on high ground when their website shows they did, am i not allowed to point that out?

Some people bring politics into everything, even the weather!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

gally74 wrote: »
    3miles north of claregalway, sleet and snow,

snow becoming more promient, strong wind

Windy and wild down here outside Loughrea as well, lots of rain but there's definitely plenty of icy stuff in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    It would be very useful if people put their locations and elevations into their profiles so that we could see at a glance instead of having to ask and then remember where they are and how high! :)

Just remembered how to modify profile - click on your name on top right of page beside welcome and then go to About Me tab and you can edit in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I actually don't know how to edit my location....i clicked on my profile but can't find the button that says edit profile or watever - anyone enlighten me?!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

jenzz wrote: »
    Ah lovely - Im watching the dublin mountains here - There is something dumping up there now - may only be rain but its a manky dirty cloud......

Its snowing just up the road from you, I was in Rathdrum earlier and was raining, yet by the time I was in Laragh it was starting to sleet, and here now its mostly snow. Anything above 300 metres or so is getting a pasting right now in the Wicklow mountains and I imagine that line will lower as the day goes on.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

gally74 wrote: »
    3miles north of claregalway, sleet and snow,

snow becoming more promient, strong wind

by any chance are you on high ground? although i'm not aware of any notable high ground around claregalway

Just remembered how to modify profile - click on your name on top right of page beside welcome and then go to About Me tab and you can edit in there!

ah great thanks Mobhi1!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cbstar

You seem to know an awful lot about ME... Are you a pilot then?
    Su Campu wrote: »
    I've absolutely no connection with ME whatsoever. I just happen to think they do a great job (most of the time) and get a lot of unjustified criticism by the public in general and by some on here. They were spot on last week, and I think they're spot on this week too.

If someone accuses them of not stating there will be snow on high ground when their website shows they did, am i not allowed to point that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Spot on last week?

They mentioned cold dry condtions with some rain showers on their forecast about 2 days out. It was one of the most laughable forecasts i have seen! Tell people in the north and west their forecast was accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Rain in Aughrim :(

I would like snow...but im sick of this black ice...its lethal...bad accidnt on gorey by-pass yesterday

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    Its snowing just up the road from you, I was in Rathdrum earlier and was raining, yet by the time I was in Laragh it was starting to sleet, and here now its mostly snow. Anything above 300 metres or so is getting a pasting right now in the Wicklow mountains and I imagine that line will lower as the day goes on.
    There is icy rain here.
    You know when you see the drops on the window breaking up into wet ice?
    I don't call that sleet as such as theres no flakes in it.

We're heading up the mountains shortly and will be bring a video camera.
    I hope to be posting a video by 5pm or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

hoody wrote: »
    Windy and wild down here outside Loughrea as well, lots of rain but there's definitely plenty of icy stuff in it too.

Same here - heavy sleet with a few flakes mixed in just to tease ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

There is icy rain here.

Jaysus take care, its pretty dark here already and anywhere there is snow proper its likely to be accumulating fast!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Rain in east cork cobh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Supercell wrote: »

Ill get a spin up glencullen later for a look over the city - need to check the pipes & leave a tap running.. Last year the roof collapsed off with weight of the snow - Huge expense to repair.... Its like troughs as gutters connected to roof & whole thing buckled.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

There is icy rain here.

I hope your not that guy you hear about on the news trekking up a mountain in awful condtions only to be rescued! :eek::D;)

a good radio forecast there. i say good if you are a snow lover:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Fair play I just wondered because its rare for someone to martyr a cause as unfashionable around this forum. As I said I always enjoy your posts even if I understand very little of the more technical content :P

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

There is icy rain here.

Good man, don't forget your shovel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

latest snow report map

• Advertisement

Spot on last week?

They mentioned cold dry condtions with some rain showers on their forecast about 2 days out. It was one of the most laughable forecasts i have seen! Tell people in the north and west their forecast was accurate.

while i largely agree with su campu, they did, as you point out, get it badly wrong last week for the northwest. as we got snow, resulting in two inches of snow, when showers were supposed to be confined to coastal counties of the west and north.

still, even though we are a small island it's hard to get it right every time for all of of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Cbstar wrote: »
    You seem to know an awful lot about ME... Are you a pilot then?

I'm an amateur pilot with an a massive interest in meteorology, like everyone on here. Most of the info on Met Eireann is on their website for all to see.
    Spot on last week?

Here we go again. Two days out, yes, but i think we'll all agree that the finer details were not concrete at that stage. Subsequent to that they did release forecasts for snow in the west, northwest and north. Take a look back at that thread and someone will have posted them up I'm sure.

What's the point in issuing a snow forecast a few days out if you're not sure and leave yourself open to attack, as in the Donegal event above? People on here want snow so badly that they'll overlook the present conditions and side fully with the models. I was called a negative nelly for giving a non-snow opinion earlier, now I'm getting flack for giving another.....

I don't know.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    latest snow report map

Thats deadly wolfe - little artist in the making:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ill expect to see entire map covered by Thursday lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Spot on last week?

No connection with met eireann myself but followed the forecasts closely all week and it was spot on every day, even from 4 days out it was accurate. I clearly remember them calling snow showers over the north and west 4 days before christmas, and the snow in the SE was called a few days before too.

In Killarney myself, rain all morning, just getting a touch of sleet this minute. I'd say snowing from 300m up here too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Rain rain rain in Newport North Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    latest snow report map

hope to report soon in the next day or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Sleet/wet snow Galway city now

Still heavy mist in Cork City - horrible horrible weather....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

It would be very useful if people put their locations and elevations into their profiles so that we could see at a glance instead of having to ask and then remember where they are and how high! :)

done

• Advertisement

I hope your not that guy you hear about on the news trekking up a mountain in awful condtions only to be rescued! :eek::D;)
    Don't worry we have ski's and snowboards if worse comes to worse :D

I can't post on my phone unfortunately for some reason.
    I can log in but it just thinks that I havent typed anything so gives the error "your message is too short".
    Other than that ye would be getting live updates!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement