Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    latest snow report map

Thanks. Any chance of maybe changing the colour of the markers? They're a bit hard to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

Any idea how I find out how far above sea level I am??

Sorry I have it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kenskool

:( no snow here at mo just rain im 300m asl. any chance of it later on or 2moro?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Some very sleety stuff in amongst the rain here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

MrCreosote wrote: »
    No connection with met eireann myself but followed the forecasts closely all week and it was spot on every day, even from 4 days out it was accurate. I clearly remember them calling snow showers over the north and west 4 days before christmas, and the snow in the SE was called a few days before too.

In Killarney myself, rain all morning, just getting a touch of sleet this minute. I'd say snowing from 300m up here too.

not quite. on sunday week last. they said showers would retreat to coastal counties which they didn't. although, to be fair they did update their late forecast to make mention of the fact that showers would continue in parts of the west and northwest. i got a further two inches of lieing snow that night. so i was not annoyed they were wrong. although i do acknowledge the broader point that
    they are in a no win situation with regard to forecasting snow which is tricky to do at any time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Snow now falling in Galway city :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

a friend of mine went back home to the states for Christmas and emailed me a pic of the snow there - OH MY GOD is all i can say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Su Campu wrote: »
    Thanks. Any chance of maybe changing the colour of the markers? They're a bit hard to see
    will do su

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

very heavy wet snow moy cullen barna border just outside galway city almost blizzard like

Fionagus wrote: »
    Snow now falling in Galway city :D

congratulations. your patience has been rewarded:)

• Advertisement

I hope your not that guy you hear about on the news trekking up a mountain in awful condtions only to be rescued! :eek::D;)

people who put the emergency services at risk, should be fined heavily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Hello all
    I see you have all been busy,
    well here is the latest from the boys at met eireann,

Today
    Dry in Ulster at first. Rain and sleet over the rest of the country will spead northwards to most areas through the afternoon and evening and will be heavy at times. It will fall as snow on mountains and theres a risk of some snow at lower levels also. Cold and windy with highest temperatures between 1 and 5 degrees and fresh to strong easterly winds.

Tonight

Tonight will be cold, windy and overcast with falls of rain and sleet everywhere with a continued risk of snow, especially on high ground. Lowest temperatures will range 0 to 5 C, coldest in the north.

Tomorrow

Continuing windy and generally cold and overcast tomorrow with further widespread outbreaks of rain and sleet, which will be heavy at times. There'll be a continued risk of snow, mainly on hills and mountains, but possible at some lower levels. Highest temperatures ranging 1 to 5 degrees generally, but reaching 5 to 8 degrees in the south.

Outlook

Cold spell continuing into the New Year. WEDNESDAY NIGHT, THURSDAY (NEW YEAR'S EVE) : Outbreaks of rain, sleet or snow in many areas at first, gradually moving away southwestwards Wednesday night or early Thursday as drier weather spreads from the north to all parts. Most places then staying dry through Thursday and Thursday night - but scattered heavy sleet or snow showers likely in the east and southeast, perhaps along the north and northwest coasts too. Strong, chilling northeasterly windy at first, easing off for Thursday night, allowing a widespread hard frost to develop, with a risk of icy conditions again. FRIDAY (NEW YEAR'S DAY), SATURDAY : Very cold. Dry throughout in most areas, but an ongoing possibility of scattered heavy sleet or snow showers - the north and northwest most at risk overall, though eastern areas still at risk on Friday. Widespread hard frosts, with ice and freezing fog in places - may linger through the day at times. As on Thursday night, nighttime temperatures falling to - 5 C or lower in places. Winds much lighter overall than on previous days, northerly or variable in direction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Can ni expect any snow tonight at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

SNOW REPORT - 1.50PM

hope this one is better. I will post all future updates as attachments as I do not wish to slow anyone's web pages from loading with images.
    100171.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Temp finally falling here now:), 4.9C/2.6C
    WolfeIRE wrote: »
    latest snow report map
    Thanks for that! great idea:)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

sleety icy rain and very windy in D15 area

owenc wrote: »
    Can ni expect any snow tonight at all?

no. i'm afraid the north will not see snow again this winter.

you could later on tonight. you more than likely will on friday or saturday if the wind goes northerly for a time

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

You won't believe it, its not snowing here in Waterford............:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Snowing hard in galway city right now

You won't believe it, its not snowing here in Waterford............:(

NEVER! You don't say! God i never would have thought that would happen;)!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

alibabba wrote: »
    Snowing hard in galway city right now

Is any of it sticking after the rain you guys got? (I assume you got rain earlier?)

you could later on tonight. you more than likely will on friday or saturday if the wind goes northerly for a time

Could you tell us where the fires of hell are?
    For the 100th time, cant people take a minute to update their location?
    somewhere in system, and back arse of nowhere, dont really tell us much..:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

its snowing here now but not sticking, should get colder thou in 2-3 hrs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Snow falling heavily now and an icy slush forming on cars already. The ground is still frozen solid here so if it continues to fall at this rate it should start to stick soon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Oh well looks like being stuck in -1 2c weather till friday then but were bound to get something later on me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

I bet that felt good nacho? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zidewayz

kenskool wrote: »
    :( no snow here at mo just rain im 300m asl. any chance of it later on or 2moro?

Went for a drive upto Viewpoint from tall8ght at around 12 where there was wet snow. Just as I went further up met the snowline and turned back for safty reasons. Snowline was at 420M judging froom altitude readings on google earth. Drove over towards jonny foxes where I came across three trucks alongside a big blue drum which I presumed was a water supply for the area. Is this correct?

Jake1 wrote: »
    Could you tell us where the fires of hell are?
    For the 100th time, cant people take a minute to update their location?
    somewhere in system, and back arse of nowhere, dont really tell us much..:confused:

Ah now go easy on him - he's from Mayo;)!

It doesn't look like it is sticking yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

If it continues to fall at this rate it wont be long before it starts sticking
    Freezing cold too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement