Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Snow is now sticking here in barna galway which considering how wet the ground was is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Was so hoping we would escape this time.

It is the barest, bleakest and coldest place up here now with a banshee wind howling.

No warmth to be had anywhere, inside or out..

Lord, have mercy and keep all safe this bitter night.

Ulster
    29 December 2009- updated at 13:00
    Today

Cold and windy. Outbreaks of rain and sleet in southern parts, spreading northwards. Parts of the north staying largely dry during daylight hours. Highest temperatures 1 to 4 degrees in fresh to strong and gusty east to northeast winds.

Tonight

Cold and windy. Scattered outbreaks of rain, sleet or snow. Frost and ice in sheltered places. Lowest temperatures ranging from 0 to +3 degrees and fresh to strong east to north east winds.

Tomorrow

Cold, windy and overcast with outbreaks of rain and sleet. Snow over higher ground with a risk at lower levels too. Highest temperatures of 1 to 4 degrees in fresh to strong easterly winds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

can someone reccoment a good weather station, reasonable cost and online

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

Freind of mine just walked out of the house, and said we have more chance of a heatwave tomorrow than snow falling at all! Hope it does snow so I can make eat it!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

sean555 wrote: »
    Snow is now sticking here in barna galway which considering how wet the ground was is excellent.

Sticking on the ground just outside town as well now & judging from the radar this should go on for quite a while :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Graces7 wrote: »

It is the barest, bleakest and coldest place up here now with a banshee wind howling.

Ulster
    29 December 2009- updated at 13:00
    Today

Cold and windy. Outbreaks of rain and sleet in southern parts, spreading northwards. Parts of the north staying largely dry during daylight hours. Highest temperatures 1 to 4 degrees in fresh to strong and gusty east to northeast winds.

Tonight

Cold and windy. Scattered outbreaks of rain, sleet or snow. Frost and ice in sheltered places. Lowest temperatures ranging from 0 to +3 degrees and fresh to strong east to north east winds.

Tomorrow

Cold, windy and overcast with outbreaks of rain and sleet. Snow over higher ground with a risk at lower levels too. Highest temperatures of 1 to 4 degrees in fresh to strong easterly winds.

You poor Divil.... we're all praying for snow and harsh weather and you're bearing the brunt ! My thoughts are with you from mild, moist and Oceanic Waterford !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

gally74 wrote: »
    can someone reccoment a good weather station, reasonable cost and online
    http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Snow in Galway city starting to stick light covering on shed,cars etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

constant rain for the last 5 hours has just turned to snow and heavy enough snow too.
    Not sticking due to being wet at the moment.
    Lahinch,Clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Rain since 8am here in Errill Co. Laois 410ft ASL. Very cold now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Snow in Galway city starting to stick light covering on shed,cars etc.

any pic?

aw well, could be worse, at least you still have internet access, so its not all penny apples just yet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Rain all the way here in the middle of the midlands. Cold and miserable. A day with the fire lit and the heating on, but no snow or even sleet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Back to icy/sleety rain here now. 3.1c DP 2.7c

Watching the DP at IOM/Ronaldsway, DP is dropping there: 5c DP -1c and at Valley: 4c DP 1c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

I'm in work at the moment was there any change on the RTE weather after the news at 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Sleet with an increasing amount of snow in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Drapper wrote: »
    any pic?

watch this space ....

Live in Galway City

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Anyone fancy a house swap?

:D Oh; I forget.. cannot get OUT!

Nice idea though!!! ;)

Always fancied Waterford too...

You poor Divil.... we're all praying for snow and harsh weather and you're bearing the brunt ! My thoughts are with you from mild, moist and Oceanic Waterford !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Temperature at Airport now 3/2

2 more degrees and we will be in business.

I reckon it will stall at 2/1 for a while this evening but hopefully we will kick it to 2/0 or 1/0 by later tonight.;)

It's beginning to stick here - I am in the city about 100 M from the sea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Sticking on roads & grass now and I'm just 58m above sea level & 1km from the sea - unbelievable. How do I post pics from an iPhone? That's a i have til I get home?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

gally74 I have the weather station in the link below. I have it 2.5years now and I've never had an issue with it (apart from the time my dad cut through the cable when cutting the hedge, but that was a human error! :p). You can have it wireless which updates every couple of minutes, or wired, like I have which updates every 8 seconds. From what I can tell its pretty accurate, I think its a good buy!

http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/technoline_WS2300.html

Anyway, what a positively s^&%%y day here in Carlow, its windy, bloody freezing and wet!! Bring back the frost and dry weather anyday I say! Its 3.5c and a DP of 2.1c. A fairly brisk ENE wind blowing that'd cut you in two! Almost depressing weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

temp finally starting to go down at Shannon. now at 3 degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

2.25pm snow report update

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

WolfeIRE wrote: »

A snow report map, cool! haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Raining here with a sleety mix during the heavier bursts. Not in the least concerned about lack of snow as its far to early. Think another 12/16 hrs here and anything that falls will be of the white fluffy variety.

Supercell, whats your thinking about showers off the Irish sea from early hours of Thurs. Looks like they could make it quite a ways inland, and be fairly heavy.
    Could be some potential for traffic disruption during the Thurs evening / Friday morning rush-hours ? (Dublin and east-coast)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

WolfeIRE wrote: »

Looks like there is some snowfest going on up in the Tribal County!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Anyone fancy a house swap?

:D Oh; I forget.. cannot get OUT!

Nice idea though!!! ;)

Always fancied Waterford too...

You must pay my mortgage here thats the only poblem......snow would be the least of your worries !!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jesusofnaz

snow/sleet in Newport tipp about 150 m (or is that feet)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Its all about precip intensity from this evening.

Heavier pulses will bring the temperature down considerable and give snow.

I would imagine there will be widespread reports of snow from around 8pm.

Good to hear some reports already in the west.

What we want is a heavy band of precip.

The band is drying out a little over eastern leinster, this is because it is hitting much dryer air and evaporating before it hits the ground.

This should be overridden through this evening.

However predicting where the heavier pulses will be this evening will be difficult, good pulses over southern Wales at the moment with snow to sea level reportedly lying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement