Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Any chance of that precipitation coming up from the South at the moment falling as snow in North Tipp?;)
    Every chance. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

no sleet in it yet but that's too be expected that far south. what will be interesting to see is if there is a change in colour as it hits 50- 80 miles further north

Danno wrote: »
    The 12pm GFS has dew points above 0c everywhere until 6am Thursday. Looks like a rain event on that run.
    Remember the gfs are very very bad on temperatures including dew points even at short range.
    They are usually good at precip at short range.

But tbh even though this has big big potential it wouldnt surprise me if mother nature has other ideas on the band and it ends up on the wrong side of marginal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 burkieboy

There is potential for a snow storm tomorrow and through into Wednesday.

Then there will be heavy snow showers plastering the east coast Thursday/Friday/Saturday.

Thats how things look at the moment.

What about inland will we get snow showers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

What about Waterford City any chance of snow, wet snow, anything wintry?

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    Whats Athlones chances of snow?
    pretty good if this band gets up there.
    It might just stay Dublin to Galway south.

Please bear in mind,this is marginal,so so marginal and need everything to help it including a cold north north east under cut as it slides south.

So we could end up disappointed.

burkieboy wrote: »
    What about inland will we get snow showers
    Usually none or very little in a northeasterly.
    NI suffers as the fetch includes scotland and very little sea track.

200motels wrote: »
    What about Waterford City any chance of snow, wet snow, anything wintry?
    It's possible.Can't say definite.
    You'll know as much as any of us tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

if the dewpoint keeps at the current figure it'll definitely be rain here in north dublin
    depoint of 45c apparently at Dublin Airport:p:rolleyes: http://www.irelandsweather.com/

if the dewpoint keeps at the current figure it'll definitely be rain here in north dublin
    depoint of 45c apparently at Dublin Airport:p:rolleyes: http://www.irelandsweather.com/
    Theres no point in looking at coastal dewpoints at this stage.
    The event will be starting as rain so dp is bound to be above zero.
    It might stay as rain on low ground.
    Gosh it is a total now cast so open for diappointment too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

there is a dew point of -7 in quin county clare according to that site. didn't think that was possible with temps above zero.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Is it me, or is that band of precipitation moving very very slowly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

If its moving at all????

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Yup, its practically stalled

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

It's possible.Can't say definite.
    You'll know as much as any of us tomorrow night.
    Thanks for that, I hope it arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

looks like an upgrade with the latest gfs. Its predicting snow to reach into ulster from the southern front with snow for most, at least on the backend as it retreats southwards. heavy snow showers are forecast from Antrim down to waterford and as far inland as omagh, east longford, mullingar, portlaoise, clonmel, waterford.

Things are picking up. dewpoints will also fall over the next 24 hrs so I would not be paying too much attention to them at the moment. For the first time since early december, things are going our way in snow-risk terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just see this.. Bitterly cold now. We are seemingly in the path again tomorrow?

Today

Mainly dry today with some sunny spells. Some patches of frost and fog will linger in some inland parts for a time. Highest temperatures 0 to 5 degrees, with the higher values by northwest coasts and coldest inland where any fog lingers.

Tonight

Dry tonight with a sharp to severe frost at first and icy stretches on roads. Lowest temperatures of -4 to 0 degrees, coldest inland. With freshening easterly winds frost becoming confined to sheltered parts towards morning.

Tomorrow

A cold, raw cloudy day. Mainly dry but outbreaks of rain sleet and snow pushing into southern parts during the afternoon and gradually spreading northwards. Highest temperatures of 1 to 5 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Opps; we posted simultaneously :)
    WolfeIRE wrote: »
    looks like an upgrade with the latest gfs. Its predicting snow to reach into ulster from the southern front with snow for most, at least on the backend as it retreats southwards. heavy snow showers are forecast from Antrim down to waterford and as far inland as omagh, east longford, mullingar, portlaoise, clonmel, waterford.

Things are picking up. dewpoints will also fall over the next 24 hrs so I would not be paying too much attention to them at the moment. For the first time since early december, things are going our way in snow-risk terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

there is a dew point of -7 in quin county clare according to that site. didn't think that was possible with temps above zero.
    an error obviously unless they left the fridge door open. i would say it is closer to 0.5-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

The Quin humidity sensor is faulty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

PLease, no one else ask if its going to snow at their location, please dont ask.

I beg you kindly, PLEASE:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

snaps wrote: »
    If its moving at all????
    Considering we have this front for the next few days, it is never moving north or south quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

will monaghan carrickmacross see snow ?

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Dewpoints should drop like stones when the easterly takes hold.
    The UKMO have in their 12z ramped up the bitter russian blast substantially-just 4 days out.
    http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/run/UW96-21.GIF?28-17

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Mothman wrote: »
    Considering we have this front for the next few days, it is never moving north or south quickly

Yeah look at it there on the radar looking all inconspicuous and innocent. We're going to get to know it quite well over the next few days. Hopefully we'll be friends by the time it has to leave :D

mono_mac wrote: »
    yes eventually-I would think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

mono_mac wrote: »

Yes, 8-9 foot of snow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Haven't been contributing to this discussion so far but some asked earlier and its still dry in South Kerry as of now.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

whoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I don't know why some people are hoping for snow. It really is not enjoyable with the freezing temperatures and icy roads which have left many of us housebound this past week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement