Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Rain getting a little heavier here just took a walk to the bookies and it's very cold rain at that!.. Cold enough out think that's just the breeze though. I'm holding out till later tonight and early hours of wednesday morning to see what happens.

Going training for new years now with my friend budweiser, Enjoy the snow those who have it and hopefully the rest of us will see some in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Just to say that Sligo is bone dry and even though it's above zero it feels colder than recent days, kind of a moist cold that creeps in your bones, if that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

screw it it's raining here again....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Sleety/wet snow here in Mayo. But that belt of percip doesnt seem to moving much. A lot of rain has fallen this morning though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

Rain turning to sleet right now 140m asl North Cork
    feck all here near doneraile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Extremely heavy rain now and the wind has picked up ten fold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Cold rain, in Kilkenny, thomastown to be exact would love a nice snowy evening! Can feel it getting colder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Great, just realised I left the passenger window of the car open since yesterday! :mad: It's been raining all day, the seat's pretty wet but luckily the wind was from the east or it would have been worse! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Sleet/wet snow now, just a degree colder and it should be snowing:)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kenskool

ime in dublin mountains 300asl .thinking of going out til about 11 or 12. could i get snowed out or will it stay dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

Really cols sleety rain that gives you brain freeze when it hits your head in the city centre.

this snow watching is tiring stuff!! I'm knackered!

smiley%20face.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

kenskool wrote: »
    ime in dublin mountains 300asl .thinking of going out til about 11 or 12. could i get snowed out or will it stay dry.

300ft or meters?! Would risk it if it's feet

It has stopped snowing here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Heavy sleet now on longford

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Been pouring rain here in S. Kerry since early morning. Bitterly cold due to the breeze (4C) air temp. No sleet or wintery stuff in the precip:mad: Evenj the mountains do not have a covering. Looks like we will miss out again

Whats are the chances of backedge snow and will it stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

It was raining in Athlone when I left around 2.30, as I as driving west it got progressively sleetier and by Athenry it was proper snow. Slightly wet but its half heartedly sticking to the grass in Oranmore

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

What time will this thread reach 1000?, my forecast 8PM!
    oh..and its still sleeting and stuff here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

just outside miltown malbay - lahinch side - totally sticking now
    just did my pre apocalyptic shop (as i got iced in for a couple of days over xmas i am expecting the worst!) almost didnt get up the hill on the miltown road slippy,
    safely home with plenty of supplies
    How cold is it going to get tonight?
    if it gets to freezing this is gonna be a long old spelll of being stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

Raining here in Mullingar most of the day. Bitterly cold but no sign of snow yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

1.8c here. Rain/Sleet mix. Hopefully nightfall will tip it into snow conditions.

Higher areas around here must be plastered with snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭highdef

Went for a quick "lunchtime" drive from work and up to the Dublin mountains between about 14:30 and 15:30. Below is a picture showing the route I took. The route is drawn (very very badly by me) and checkpoints are labelled A - L. All temperatures noted were taken from car thermometer which tends to be fairly accurate. Heights were taken from GPS. Image courtesy of the OSI

SnowHunt.jpg

This is what I encountered at each checkpoint. I hope this makes sense to you. For anyone not familiar with the area, it'll be of little use:

A: Turned off the M50 south at junction 12 and travelled east on Scholarstown Road and then onto Stocking Lane. Height approx 100m. Temp 4c. Rain.

B: Around about the turn off for Mount Venus Road, temp dropped to 3.5c. Still rain with the odd sleety bit. Height approx 150-180m

C: Just passed the turn off for Old Court Road on Kilakee Road (R115), the first proper sleetiness appeared. Height approx 200m. Temp 3c

D: Just before the viewing point carpark at the Cruagh Road (or is it Craugh Lane) Junction, the sleet suddenly turned to snow and was readily sticking, creating very slippy conditions. This would be the highest I would travel. Height approx 370m. Temp +2c. Was expecting it to be lower.

E: I started back down the hill and turned right onto Mount Venus Road, passing the DSCPA shelter on my right. Height approx 200m. Sleet/some wet snow. temp 3c

F: I continued up Cruagh Road (R116) up as far at the junction with the sharp left turn for Glencullen and Johnny Foxes. The sleet readily turned to snow as I climbed approx 100m. It was just turning back into proper snow here and was beginning to stick to the road and it was a little slippy. I turned round and went back downhill. Height was approx 300m. Temp, 2.5c. Snow.

G: I travelled all the way north downhill to Taylors Lane (R133). The snow turned to sleet and by the time I got to the R133, it was mainly rain with a little sleet. Height was about 100m. Temp was 3c.

H - I: I travelled east on Taylor's Lane/Grange Road (R133) all the way to the roundabout for joining the M50 (J13)or heading to Dundrum via Ballinteer Road. I was sleety rain all the way which got quite heavy. Height approx 100m. Temp was 3c.

J - K: Onto the M50 north and the sleet became rather heavy again and there were some snowflakes mixed in as I travelled over the high point of about 130m just after the Dundrum interchange (J13). Temp still 3c

L: Passing the Firhouse and Tallaght junctions (J12 and J11), the heavyish sleet continued and temp remained was 3.5c. Height was approx 100m and slowly descending.

It was still sleeting heavily when I turned onto the Naas Road inbound (J9) at approx 15:50, despite a temp of 4c and a height of about 60/70m and falling. the sky also had that "snowy" look. you could actually see the snow up above. That was my drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

BBC weather forecast vid updated. presented by daniel corbett who has more hand movements than Leo from Fair City

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209/

latest gefs chart for thursday
    gens-0-2-42.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Passing the spa hotel in lucan, lashing rain and 4c on the car temp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Saw a car, must have had a good 3 inches of snow on it. It was coming down from the hell fire club road via killikee road direction.

Kippure wrote: »
    Saw a car, must have had a good 3 inches of snow on it. It was coming down from the hell fire club road via killikee road direction.

god that was a very isolated snow shower - just the car;)?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

I'm just wondering, if it doesn't snow is there a risk of all this rain turning to ice by the morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

how the hell can there be snow in north andwest clare but not in the east!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

are temperatures supposed to be coming down later? its 2 degrees here in north cork and just rain.

• Advertisement

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    BBC weather forecast vid updated. presented by daniel corbett who has more hand movements than Leo from Fair City

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209/

latest gefs chart for thursday
    gens-0-2-42.png?12

From that it looks like we're all on course to get snow are we Wolfe?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement