Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

are temperatures supposed to be coming down later? its 2 degrees here in north cork and just rain.

Hey Munsterlegend - welcome back!! Where have you been?!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Vanhalla wrote: »
    how the hell can there be snow in north andwest clare but not in the east!
    Could be something to do with the intensity of it Vanhalla. In fairness temps did not budge much above 3c where I am all morn. When the heavy sleet started falling so did the temps. Nice covering here now. It is snowing as heavy as I can remember for a long time.

LEAHYL - yes it looks very good for you. the charts also indicate widespread snow across the south on the 3rd/4th jan which is of course a bit off yet. See below chart which shows the easterly firmly in place to meet the approaching southerly front. The models have actually upgraded this system continually since Sunday.
    12_114_mslp850.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Timistry wrote: »
    Been pouring rain here in S. Kerry since early morning. Bitterly cold due to the breeze (4C) air temp. No sleet or wintery stuff in the precip:mad: Evenj the mountains do not have a covering. Looks like we will miss out again

I just drove from Cahersiveen to Cork. There was a blizzard when I was leaving outside Cahersiveen on the higher grounds which was sticking. Killarney had sleet and everywhere else it was raining.

I was 200m asl this morning where there was a good covering and thanks to the poster who gave the link to check that earlier today. :)

I expected a blizzard going over the county bounds but just sleety rain again. Strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

2.5c in my part of Cork now

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Could be something to do with the intensity of it Vanhalla. In fairness temps did not budge much above 3c where I am all morn. When the heavy sleet started falling so did the temps. Nice covering here now. It is snowing as heavy as I can remember for a long time.

LEAHYL - yes it looks very good for you. the charts also indicate widespread snow across the south on the 3rd/4th jan which is of course a bit off yet. See below chart which shows the easterly firmly in place to meet the approaching southerly front. The models have actually upgraded this system continually since Sunday.
    12_114_mslp850.png

Dear Diary.... Jackpot!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

leahyl wrote: »
    Hey Munsterlegend - welcome back!! Where have you been?!:D

hello miss leahy. took a break for xmas but nothing seems to have changed! cold rain instead of snow. the bbc and sky even have snow for us but it still won't! i'm losing hope fast.

anyway after that rant how are you? had you a good xmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

1.7C here and still sleeting. getting closer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Nothing but rain all day here in D11...

It just never snows here :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

LATEST SNOW REPORT 5PM (attached)

29 December 2009 16:22

Today Cold and windy this evening and tonight, with outbreaks of rain and sleet occasionally turning to snow in places, especially over high ground. Lowest temperatures will range between minus 1 and plus 3 degrees.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Another cold, windy day tomorrow with further outbreaks of rain and sleet in most areas, but snow likely in places. Temperatures will remain low, only reaching 1 to 5 degrees in the continuing strong easterly winds.

3hr-rain.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

The snow has stopped here now & skies are clearing. Slight thaw but there's still about 1cm on the ground which is not bad by Galway city standards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Passing enfield, sleety rain temp 2.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ulster
    29 December 2009- updated at 18:00
    Tonight

Cold and windy with scattered outbreaks of rain and sleet continuing to extend northwards. The rain and sleet will occasionally turn to snow especially over higher ground but at lower levels too away from eastern coastal parts. Lowest temperatures ranging from minus 1 to plus 2 degrees with strong and gusty easterly winds.

Tomorrow

Cold, windy and overcast with further outbreaks of rain and sleet. Some snow over higher ground with a continued risk at lower levels too away from eastern coastal parts. Becoming mainly dry in northern parts later in the day. Highest temperatures of 1 to 4 degrees in strong and gusty easterly winds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

1.7C here and still sleeting. getting closer :D

I am in Mallow too Darkmaster, fingers crossed. Do you think we will get some

dedon wrote: »

send some this way if you do;)!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

highdef wrote: »
    Went for a quick "lunchtime" drive from work.....

Highdef - You deserve some sort of boards weather forum award for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Looking at the bbc forcast it looks like it could snow for a lot of the night. maybe only on higher ground though.
    Fingers crossed too. hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

i'm out near Doneraile.No precip at all here since about 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

we've had snow here in mid tipperary for about 2 hours. it's stopped now, but i doubt that's the end of it. it had been starting to lodge, i hope it comes back so i can take the camera out tomorrow morning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Joe b,s thoughts

COLD AIR STILL 12-24 HOURS AWAY FROM COMPLEX STORM

The powerful storm located on the southwest coast of England still does not have enough cold air to work with as the arctic air is still pushing south. However, with time, this very complex situation should turn cold enough so rain does turn to snow even in the lower elevations and mainly between London and Manchester. It is tricky, but we have to get that air to cool over the north sea first.

I expect the rain to change to snow from north to south as this storm, which is just in its early stages, matures.

There is no change on what is about to be a major attack of cold the first 10 days of the new year for much of Europe NORTH of 40 north. For folks in the southeast, (Greece, for instance, where there are lovers of winter) keep in mind that if you are going to share in the cold, it's later. This winter idea from me is the core of the cold is north of you.

But this storm is a perfect example of what I was talking about for this winter for the northwest! You see what is going on. The ebb and flow of the pattern has storms GOING SOUTH of England not just roaring by to the north. Why? The negative NAO, which was an idea I advanced here long before this winter started. And the heavy rains of November... remember the post talking about why that meant the trough was coming FOR THE WINTER. It's the same thing here in the states, we had the wet October. If it was just warm and dry, that is another signal.

These are not because of "freak events in the Pacific." You know how you can tell? Because I laid out certain criteria beforehand and the fruit of the labor, rather than staring at almighty models, are produced by humility in the face of the creation, not just saying I know the answer.

Admittedly micro-managing a storm like this exposes why the devil is in the detail, but a week from now, when we are in the new year, you tell me who was up late on Christmas Eve to warn people another round of major cold was brewing.

I have NOTHING against the Hadley Center, but I will be very curious as to what their outlook is for the rest of the winter and how they will explain what is going on. I think in light of what is going on, with a arrogance of authority in the climate and weather wars obvious (There is no human, or human-made, "authority" that holds the future in their hand and dictates events), before we discuss how hot 2010 will be we need to know why this was not the winter portrayed. And the explanation that December is only one month doesn't hold water since if they are doing their research on winters like this, they will see why January and February, could and should be as cold or colder.

It is not because of "freak events" in the Pacific.

By the way, it should be a warm summer for Europe, especially mid and late.

I have always had a huge amount of respect of the Hadley Center, but recent explanations have left me wondering if that was misplaced. I did defend their summer forecast, it WAS warm but it was wet, and when it's wet, it means there is a large-scale fight going on that is resisting warming! The first clue that there was trouble coming for the winter! Such things are not common knowledge among model worshippers and in fact are probably scoffed at.

thanks for reading. Ciao for now. *******

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

temp in sandyford sitting stubbornly at 2.6C and rain with some sleet. Need a drop in temp fast. any thoughts on that prospect or are we stuck where we are?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Supercell wrote: »
    What time will this thread reach 1000?, my forecast 8PM!
    oh..and its still sleeting and stuff here.
    way before then.

Give it about 30 minutes!!

arctictree wrote: »
    Highdef - You deserve some sort of boards weather forum award for that!
    Just back from the military road-good 4 inches up there and snowing heavily!
    I have pictures and movies and stuff including a poor van that got stuck.
    We got to the top though and into the woods.
    It is so alpine and lovely and the snow is so so dry!

upload them post haste!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eithneangela

Rained all day here in the Sunny South East - and now it's freezing, Brrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭highdef

I wisely turned back as soon as traction was being lost and the snow was sticking. A wise decision for my with my 2WD!!

Any idea what Three Rock hill is like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Where did you cross over, at sallys gap. Did you head to kippure gates down to glencree?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Cant make up its mind here at the moment in sleety snow and then 5 mins later rain then back to snow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it looks like the real cold wont be here for another day at least, maybe thursday afternoon and by then this front should be gone. But hopefully we'll have heavy snow showers into the east by then. I am not entirely confident we'll see much if any lying snow from the current front at least here in the east. 2 moro should still be 3-5C which isnt really cold enough for proper lying snow to fall. Thursday afternoon onwards looks more like 1/2C. I think the current front will only leave lying snow in some lucky spots in the west and midlands and highground regions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Heavy snow falling again now & there's a serious N easterly with ot - Brrrrr!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement