Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band of rain/sleet/snow pushing up from the south 29th+30th Dec - Snowstorm or not?

Options

Comments

leahyl wrote: »
    upload them post haste!!:D
    Working on it.
    Should have video and photo's shortly maybe 10 or 15 minutes.
    As we were leaving to head down the snow was very thick and the sky dark blackand wait for it the snow was spinning up and drifting in a fine white dust!
    jeep temp was -1c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Any idea what Three Rock hill is like?
    It'll be alpine as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

1.7C here and still sleeting. getting closer :D

have you the dew point? thats crucial i do believe! are temps to go down later?

Kippure wrote: »
    Where did you cross over, at sallys gap. Did you head to kippure gates down to glencree?
    Aughavanagh direction south of Glenmalure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Working on it.
    Should have video and photo's shortly maybe 10 or 15 minutes.
    As we were leaving to head down the snow was very thick and the sky dark blackand wait for it the snow was spinning up and drifting in a fine white dust!
    jeep temp was -1c

I am extremely excited to see these vids and pics after seeing that description:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Some pics taken on my phone. sorry about the quality

A street lamp gazer's dream come true!!

10mm rain = a lot of snow in hills, 4" as reported by BB

4C Dp2.7C
    neither moving much, both down about 0.2C past hour

sorry. attachment prob in first post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

No water here for a few days I've been told...

Lots of snow, temps dropping, snowing heavy at the moment. Just came back from town, is raining there.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    sorry. attachment prob in first post

aaaawww....sniff....:) it's beautiful sob!

btw the sky is pink here in cork city - is that by any chance a sign of snow??!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Shane Slv

At shannon airport
    temp:2
    dew point:2
    still rain no snow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Latest M2 buoy data (Irish sea) has the dew point at 4.0C not exactly conducive to snow for east coast, no?

ch750536 wrote: »
    No water here for a few days I've been told...

Lots of snow, temps dropping, snowing heavy at the moment. Just came back from town, is raining there.
    What height is the town?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Fair play BB I was starting to wonder if it was time to call mountain rescue for you!
    I bet its amazing higher up, all this precip has to be making a fantastic winter wonderland up in the mountains.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

leahyl wrote: »

btw the sky is pink here in cork city - is that by any chance a sign of snow??!
    thanks leahyl. I think that pink sky might be a sign that the street lighting is working well in the city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Wibbler wrote: »
    Latest M2 buoy data (Irish sea) has e dew point at 4.0C not exactly conducive to snow, no?

Dubs will have to wait till Thursday and Friday. Alot of snow possible both days in the East. Lighter snow thereafter and then something more substantial around late Sunday or Monday. It's going to even colder from tomorrow then at anytime since the cold began a couple of weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ditch hurler

what a great thread. gripping. i am dizzy running from pc to door to check the weather. no snow in laois.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    thanks leahyl. I think that pink sky might be a sign that the street lighting is working well in the city.

Now that is NOT funny!! It's not that kind of pink!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

darkman2 wrote: »
    Dubs will have to wait till Thursday and Friday. Alot of snow possible both days in the East. Lighter snow thereafter and then something more substantial around late Sunday or Monday. It's going to even colder from tomorrow then at anytime since the cold began a couple of weeks ago.

Ah, set the Rampometer(tm) to 'snowmaggedon'.

Nice one, Darkman :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Kippure - if you want to get up there, I'd recommend taking the military road (northbound as opposed to south bound like that looney tune BB!) from Laragh, its a gradual incline most of the way except for a short stretch before Glenmacnass waterfall and doesn't have the same steep approaches as from Glencree so should be traversable in a 4x4 with extreme caution.
    I wouldnt go up until the precip stops though, conditions are likely to deteriorate behind you, I reckon the likes of Sally gap will be for the hill walkers only and mountain rescue from now onwards.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Miserable here in Lucan, just pelting down rain, windy too.
    I cant wait for the next few days to see what it will bring to us Dubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

drove into galway, things were really getting going, drove out to briarhill and it was really coming down, sticking every where, but road slushy.

then drove out home say 8 miles and snow stuck less and less, seems that galway is benifiting from the land effect with the north easterly, its the coldest today, i have some pics and ill upload them once i find the lead

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

when is this snow ever going to reach ni because this cloud is getting RATHER annoying rising our temps and melting all the snow... and it is rather pointless if we do not get any snow!

Is it not an extremely wreckless thing to do driving into the Wicklow Mountains, unless you live up there. Supercell is right about waiting until at least the snow stops. If you get caught you put your life and the life of rescue personnel at risk.

Stepping off my soapbox now:o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

2 degrees here and still that blusteryu rain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I would say everyone should avoid higher parts of Wicklow full stop. Bad idea to go up there atm no matter what vehicle you have. A nice snowy adventure can quickly turn hellish if your not careful and use common sense. Don't go near Sally Gap. Thats lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

darkman2 wrote: »

can handle that i think . :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Supercell wrote: »
    Kippure - if you want to get up there, I'd recommend taking the military road (northbound as opposed to south bound like that looney tune BB!) from Laragh, its a gradual incline most of the way except for a short stretch before Glenmacnass waterfall and doesn't have the same steep approaches as from Glencree so should be traversable in a 4x4 with extreme caution.
    I wouldnt go up until the precip stops though, conditions are likely to deteriorate behind you, I reckon the likes of Sally gap will be for the hill walkers only and mountain rescue from now onwards.

Think ill tool up all the gear and head up in the morning. Theres one corner i always hate is that steep turn after the small cottage at the top, where every one parks to veiw the lake. I have found also if you approch from blessington side you have a better chance of not getting stuck. Its a gradual climb up, Handy in 4 by 4.

Theres one thing that is a problem no matter where you go after, solid ice. If i had spikes in my types, no problem, snow chains just damage your tyres.

But you know and i know come tomorrow there will be cars vans etc littered all over the dublin wicklow mountains.

Supercell wrote: »
    Military road was very tricky and must be worse now...I wouldnt advise at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

What an unbelievable waste! we waited years for this - the perfect easterly, the Atlantic fighting a losing battle against continental air and still we get **** all.
    Yeah I know, those in the Dublin will have to wait until Thurs maybe, but at that stage 99% of the ppn will have fallen as rain.
    I can only describe this event as a tragedy!
    We'll never see another 1982 again.
    THE END

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement